Author Topic: ice auger preference  (Read 2955 times)

Offline icedad

• IceShanty Rookie
ice auger preference
« on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:14 AM »
Can someone tell me what size auger they use in Utah? Do they use gas or a 6'' hand auger? How much ice do you get and when does the season start and end?
Have you heard of using an electric  auger?
Matt

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice auger preference
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2007, 06:26 PM »
I wouldn't recommend a electric . I use a 8" gas auger . Lot of people prefer the 10" auger . I got by for years with just a hand auger but when it gets thick it will limit you on number of holes per day .Lakes with big macks you can have a 16" , all the other waters you can have a 12" hole by the regulations . Ice fishing usaully starts thankgiving weekend if you are willing to travel for it . And can last till the end of april in the high country .
Utah Ice

Offline icedad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2007, 07:21 AM »
Hellsangler,
Thanks for all of the information that you have given me.
I was curious about the use of electric drives. I have an electric drive that I use in Indiana. It connects to my 6'' lazer hand auger. The drive consist of 2 12 volt battery's connected to a 24 volt dc motor. I am able to drill 100 holes in 14'' 0f ice before it goes dead. It is capable to drill through 5'' of ice per second.
Matt

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2007, 06:14 PM »
Sounds like that electric might do OK . I was thinking of the ones you use a cordless drill with . Some of the ice can get 36" thick but for the most  , 12 " of ice is the norm at a lot of lakes late in the season .
Utah Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.