Author Topic: Bluegill Help  (Read 13517 times)

Offline Bluegilljunkie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bluegill Help
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:57 PM »

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:12 PM »
I've given up trying to catch bluegill through the ice on these lakes. I've decided the populations probably just aren't large enough. Time to find a new lake  ;D.

Offline Bluegilljunkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:19 PM »
The bays on Oneida lake are usually good. I fish big bay so much. You don't et your limit everytime but you'll get a nice amount. I love fishing for blue gills

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:16 PM »
I am going with some buddies Saturday fishing for some bluegills and have not fished for them in a very long time, and never on hardwater. What would you guys start out with? What size, and color? I am used to fishing for perch and walleye and usually use raps, buckshots, spoons etc. I have a lot of jigs now thanks to Old Goat at the sale, so maybe you could chime in knowing what I have. Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:24 PM »
All you need for bluegills are those tiny jigs a minature peg bobber some of those old fashion rods that you spool the line around two pegs and you were had f she told you any of those were for blugills
go hard or go home

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:26 PM »
I would use a gill pill or diamond jig tipped with a wedgie tail and a waxey or I have good luck on red glow lindy fat boys smaller size 10-12 with a red or black wedgie also and tipped with a waxie  hope this helps Good Luck and catch a bucket full ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline bigfisher97

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I lost him! had to be a 10 pounder.
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:36 PM »
Simple stuff simple rod and jigs and teardrops vertical and horizontal wax worms or if you want to use plastics gulp alive

Offline PaperMouthPersuer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:46 PM »
As far as size 3mm, 4mm, #14 #16. I use small finesse plastics for gills. Color depends on the type of water you will be fishing. I always have multiple colors to chose from, if you can find the fish, switch colors until you catch one.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:46 PM »
When fishing bluegill, i would keep it simple.

UL pole or spring bobbers. Can use tiny tiny floats to.

Use waxes or spikes for bait. Plastics work if you jiggle them also.

Use small small tiny lures. Tungsten lures are the best, they drop faster and keep your line taunt.  The 3mm to 4mm size is what I prefer. The northland mooska or the HT marmooska are good options.

Use light THIN line. 2lb. Have a smooth drag.

Straight line/fly reels and schooley styles work the best reduce jig spin/line twist. A schooley can be had for $8. While you look like a tard you will out fish people with it.

Early locations are gonna be by the weeds find holes and edges jig to pull them out of the weeds.

Also  I always like to take berkley crappie nibbles, and "chum" the gills in by throwing a few down my hole. Also if u run outta waxes it works great for bait. 

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:01 PM »
I use really small tungsten teardrop jigs to get back down there faster. Colors usually dont matter for gills. Tip with 1 or 2 waxies. 1 or 2 lb line and a spring bobber. Bluegill dont like it when the jig is spinning, so literally "stretch" your line to get the twist out. Sometimes they like an eratic jigging motion to bring them in, sometimes it takes just tight lining with a little twitch, simetimes just tight lining. See what brings them in that day and go with it. Dont be afraid to fish really shallow areas that still have weeds present.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #40 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:14 PM »
fiska or kodiak or both, size 3,white spike, glows, school bus, black, green, 2lb test, wire bobber on a noodle rod like an schooly ice blue
or the schooly with reel and wire bobber kit with your own 2 lb test on it

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:21 PM »
nice tip on stretching the line out before you go.

I read it in an article by dave genz years ago. It really works! I do it every time I go out. Gills really do seem to hate a jig that is spinning most times. I can usually tell its spinning by looking on the flasher and see it flickering. When them gills are finicky, and you have a lot of line twist, they will come in and look at the jig then just swim off.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:42 AM »
Thanks guys for the help. I will be using my meatstick with 2lb test, and start with a white/red gill pill glow to start thanks for the tips. I also stretch my line every time I go out. I think this should get me started on the right track.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:45 AM »
How do you guys "stretch" the line?  Is it as simple and just working it with you hands just prior to first dropping down the hole?

Getting ready.......early ice this year!!!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Great rod choice that's what I use

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:52 AM »
3# fluro, tucr precision noodle and a black better 6061 to handle line twisting issues.  Usually usin little atom tails on 3 mm tungsten. Or ice flies can tip with spikes or waxies to entice the bite but isn't always needed.
Fish On'

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:16 AM »
How do you guys "stretch" the line?  Is it as simple and just working it with you hands just prior to first dropping down the hole?

Getting ready.......early ice this year!!!

i never heard of it either and would like to hear how its done. only thing i can think of is pull a bunch of line to a floor and pinch the line as you reel it back up like you do when you spool a reel

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:22 AM »
i never heard of it either and would like to hear how its done. only thing i can think of is pull a bunch of line to a floor and pinch the line as you reel it back up like you do when you spool a reel

i use one of these for fly fishing leaders, never thought to use it for ice fishing
http://www.gorgeflyshop.com/store/pc/Dr-Slick-Leader-Straightener-p5181.htm?gclid=CI2_ia-AnLsCFQ7xOgodxz4AfQ#.UqH5S-KFcro

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:26 AM »
You can pull 20 - 30 ft of line out against your drag. Lightly set of course. This will stretch that portion of line. Some people[me]  when spooling new line on spinning reels..after the new line is put on go outside tie it to something and walk out 75 yards or whatever and just pull gently for a couple minutes. Then cut line free and reel in. Seems to take some of the memory out of line.? Don't always do this, but when I have time I do.
Paul

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:26 AM »
i use one of these for fly fishing leaders, never thought to use it for ice fishing
http://www.gorgeflyshop.com/store/pc/Dr-Slick-Leader-Straightener-p5181.htm?gclid=CI2_ia-AnLsCFQ7xOgodxz4AfQ#.UqH5S-KFcro

good idea there, thanks!
i like the forceps they make there, just wish they tiny for gills and size 3 fiskas and kodiaks
never seen any thing like those before

so you are really just sliding some thing on the line to untwist any line twist that might have been there from before like fresh spooling a reel or after a long battle with a fish that put tons of line twist on the reel.

never heard of manually removing the line twist for ice fishing and it makes sense. i always just let the jig spin top side until it's done before lowing it again.

on open water, if using nylon line, you can pull a lot of line out behind a slow moving boat with nothing attached to casting end and the water will take most of it out. some do that in grass. just pinch it while retrieving the line. i have a different version of that pad you shared with us and i use it to dress the fly lines with floatant/cleaner/dressing.

because of line twist and reading what it does here on this forum (learned jigs spin after lowered and we miss many because of it and i thought it was a color problem and waste time changing colors), i am trying out several in line options to have less and also some sinking braid lines that have no twist and no memory and no stretch. i have so see what it does when it's super cold out and wet. thinking a line dressing will be needed for that too after the coating wears off from manufacturer and they will not tell you what they use.
only thing i know of is called reel magic and i do use the stuff for all reels.

it will be nice to go back out with all the new knowledge and gear this season and it is because of this site and good folks that care to share!

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
« Reply #50 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Make sure to check out the bluegill page here on IS. Tons of info on it.
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline jigginfireman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When hell freezes over I will fish that too!
« Reply #51 on: Dec 10, 2013, 11:03 AM »
Hush......................Big ones do on many lakes in the same areas the dinks inhabit during the day. Catch plenty of flak on the subject which leaves even more for me. Hush........So do Perch on some lakes

Nice thing with this is if your fishing a lake that holds crappies in it they will be biting after the sun goes down also. So a mixed bag is possible. Tightlines.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 10, 2013, 11:33 AM »
I stumbled onto this one eve. on a really slow day for gills. Figured I'd stay with the lantern and try for crappies. Right about when the last car left the lake I started banging big gills, just as it got dark. Kept about eight and fished well after dark just for fun. A pattern that repeats consistently on that lake. BTW I also stretch my line; I hook it on something on my porch and pull off twenty plus feet against a stiff drag. Then real back in with the rod bent.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 10, 2013, 12:34 PM »
You stretch your line as you drop it down the hole it stops the jig from spinning

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Dec 10, 2013, 10:51 PM »
I catch a lot of them with Marmooskas (size 10), Hali Sukkula  jigs (size 25mm - 3/16 ounce), and Forage minnows (size 1/16 ounce) all tipped with a wax worm. 

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 10, 2013, 11:00 PM »
I stumbled onto this one eve. on a really slow day for gills. Figured I'd stay with the lantern and try for crappies. Right about when the last car left the lake I started banging big gills, just as it got dark. Kept about eight and fished well after dark just for fun. A pattern that repeats consistently on that lake. BTW I also stretch my line; I hook it on something on my porch and pull off twenty plus feet against a stiff drag. Then real back in with the rod bent.

Sometimes after no luck for hours, Ill hammer a quick few at dark then it dies FAST! So I find myself still fishing late usually. Keeps me out there long enough to get the wife pretty pissed off!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.