Author Topic: What size jigs to use for bluegills  (Read 15779 times)

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
What size jigs to use for bluegills
« on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Hi all, I'm wondering what the universal size jigs would be for catching bluegills and sometimes a random crappie, I know that it varies depending on the bite, slow bite may need smaller than normal jig, but what would be the average size jig to use on a normal ice fishing day? im from east iowa and looking to order some jigs online

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: What size jigs to use for bluegills
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:52 AM »
I'm not great with jig numbers but I think 10-12 is decent size. It all depends on how deep you are fishing as you need a bit more size if you need to get down deeper. I usually have to hold or look at a jig to get the perfect size

gill pills, marmish, gill getters, hexi flys,

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:59 AM »
I start with #12 and then downsize from there, sometimes down to a #16...anything from Genz Bugs to Bro Bug series jigs to marmooskas to Mormyshkastipped with maggots, waxies or soft plastics

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2009, 11:00 AM »
normally pretty shallow waters, nothing greater then 10 feet (usually) im the say way with having to hold the jigs to get the right size but ill be ordering online which is why i was wondering on the jig size  ::)

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2009, 11:01 AM »
2 or 3mm fiskas
Dave

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2009, 01:03 PM »
Nothing larger than a size 12.

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:19 PM »
If you want the occasional crappie then I would try a 10 personally... but have 12-14 handy...  Crappies will bite the tiny stuff but its harder to hook them...  10s are great but sometimes too big for the gills   weight varies with composition...  tungsten vs lead...  but size means a lot with gills and hooks size means a lot when dealing with big papermouths...  crappies

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:46 PM »
I love diamond jigs! The smallest size I can possibly get! I think its a 16?
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2009, 03:54 PM »

i will be getting some diamong jigs and gill pills myself, these are the main ones im wondering on what sizes to get, i wish the local store had them so i could visually tell, anyone know what sizes these should be bought in for my fishing situation?

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2009, 05:40 PM »
#12 - #16 usually but #20s if I have to

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2009, 02:46 AM »
Only marmooska's, either #14 or#16.  Depending on how finicky they are. Fin

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:39 AM »
i will be getting some diamong jigs and gill pills myself, these are the main ones im wondering on what sizes to get, i wish the local store had them so i could visually tell, anyone know what sizes these should be bought in for my fishing situation?

The larger (no smaller than 14) are ok weight wise but the smaller ones are too light for me unless fishing in pretty shallow water. The Gill pills are way to light. You want a jig that sinks fast and tungsten is the way to go. I regularly fish #16-#20 tungsten jigs in 20-35 fow.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2009, 04:09 AM »
I like that 1/32 oz Flu Flu, but I would guess that's about size 10 or size 8 hook on it.

Sometime I use the 1/64 oz Flu Flu so about size 12 hook.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline vexaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2010, 03:14 PM »
#12 Genz worm. It has the weight and shows up well on the vex.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2010, 01:23 PM »

My go to also for gills. They seem to like the orange, green "firetiger" pattern around here tipped with a couple of spikes.

Also have alot of luck with a small (size of an apple seed) plain gold colored tear drop with spikes.

J-

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2010, 11:10 AM »
I often go with the 1/32 oz, but sometimes for a tougher bite I go smaller to a 1/64 oz.  For gills I use diamond jigs, pannie pills, jalapeno jigs, and bro bugs.  If they are aggressive I'll use small spoons tipped with waxies, that's a ton of fun too.

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2010, 08:53 AM »
I love tungsten jigs...either skandias (#12 or #14) or fiskas (3mm to 4mm) I know they make a few smaller sizes but these work well for me since I like to get the jig back down to them fast when the bite is on and the little bit larger size seems to sort out the dinks!!! Good luck!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2010, 05:53 AM »
Depending on the pressure and how they're biting, I usually start out with a 12-14.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:47 AM »
I use mostly 12 or 14..  Horizontals almost exclusively.
Shut up and fish.

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:52 AM »
I really like the tungston jigs as well, I use the 4 and 5mm ones here in VT and they work really well with a couple spikes on them.  Also we use verticals most of the time.
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2010, 01:14 PM »
I have been using the Fiskas 2mm and 3mm and really like them....Scott

Offline slab_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2010, 08:00 AM »
Another vote 4 Diamond jigs.
It's not about luck, it's skill & determination

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:14 AM »
16's to 8's,I let the fish tell me what they want.Some days they want very small and some days they pound the snot out of a larger lure,a few years ago I would never use anything bigger than a size 12-10 jig,now I fish basically two ways finesse plastics( small ) and spoons for the big aggressive days,Forage Minnow,Frosty's,Demons,Stingers,Flicker,Pimples,Slender spoons w/T-boned wax worm,all the spoons are 1/20 oz or less.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2011, 04:10 PM »
I agree with the Captain; I usually tend to start small, but almost always have a deadstick rigged with about a size 10. On a picky day yesterday the big jig caught as many or more than a variety of smaller stuff. Also I often stick a fat head on the larger jig for crappie. Some days a 1/16 oz. Kastmaster, or Forage minnow, with a dropper chain will prove deadly. The more I fish, the more I realize the importance of flexibility.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Yesterday the program was size 12 gill pill, orange/chartreuse with a 1/2 inch squishy toy tail in chartreuse with orange tip,other lures size 12 chartreuse Ratso fished clean,spanked the crappies but the bulls where shy 11 bulls 30 crappie.

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:40 PM »
id say the 10 to 14 size in the northland bug and bro series jigs and diamonds too but i use mostly 10 to 12.  also use 3 and 4 mm fiskas not sure what size the genz glow fatboys we were using were when we spanked the crappies with them but they were red glow and green glow think they were around a size ten. tip them with spikes with or without munchies tails or any typed of micro plastic wether its atom or mackis. anything along those lines have seemed to work for me

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:02 PM »
I use sizes 10,12 and 14. #12 is my favorite to use, size 10 will work just fine if you are on top of bigger gills and rock bass, though I was outfishing the guy next to me last weekend and it was because I had a size 12 and he had a size 10. It makes a difference.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2011, 08:53 AM »
 I really enjoy using  a nuclear ant. I would imagine, by looking, it is around a #14. The only downside to these, is after a few fish, your legs are gone. I have learned to tie a single hackle feather around them, and have used them for days  without having to re tie. I did get to try some new jigs that I made thanks to A-bomb, with a 2.5 lb leader, and did pretty good. I did suffer a couple of line breaks, got hooked on bucket, got froze to ice, and leader got too short to re-tie, so tied directly to line, and the bite did slow down quite a bit. I did not have more leader material with me, and I don't think I could have re tied anyhow, too windy, Eyesight too bad.  So, go small 12-14 and down, and go leader. PS, my leader material was orvis mono, maybey I should have gone floro. Good luck

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:08 AM »
#12 horizontal has been the best for me this year. Glow red usually.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2011, 07:53 PM »
anywhere from 8, 10, 12, or 14.... depending on the size of gills and how active they are.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.