Author Topic: NYE first time ice trip  (Read 543 times)

Offline jiggin for a livin

• IceShanty Rookie
NYE first time ice trip
« on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:37 PM »
I took my 8 year old daughter for her first hardwater trip today with me and the hound.  We went to RFL - knew all we would catch would be stockers but for her first go I wanted to deliver a lot of fish on the ice even if it was just a bunch of shorties... She had a blast!  We caught a ton of fish and she was able to watch down the hole and see how the fish reacted to her jiggin' and she had a lot of chances to learn how to set the hook when she was getting a phone call.

All in all it was a great trip!  Best part is she said she's ready to catch some lunkers and we don't need to go after the stockers anymore - she's hooked.  ;D ;D ;D

Fish in the pic was her first caught - pulled the hook right as she landed it.  Most were 8-12" bows - did catch one fatty sucker that we kept for laker bait. 

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: NYE first time ice trip
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:55 PM »
Great job, Mike!  Great to see you posting on IceShanty.  Looks like she had a great first time on the ice!  They're memories she'll remember for her entire life.   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: NYE first time ice trip
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Nice job, Dad.  Way to get her started.

Red Feather was where I took my young grandson for his first iced trout.  Have since introduced a number of other kids to the sport up there. Great place to catch the hard water bug. 
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.