Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Equipment

Otter Quality Beyond Terrible...

(1/3) > >>

ian_padron:
After a few years living out of the ice belt, moved to MT and am back to ice fishin' a few days a week.

I read up on the forums and it seemed like Otter was recommended as the highest quality shelter by a wide margin, so I bought a Lodge Hub this year and man, what a piece of junk.

After sending photos to the warranty department of the shoddy seams, torn window corners, etc. I was told everything appeared within spec...haha.

I pushed back saying that was ridiculous, and a few days later they offered to replace the shelter at the end of the season if I sent it back, but no guarantee that the replacement wouldn't also be a POS....

Not really sure what to do at this point... I've repaired/jerry-rigged most of the issues, and don't exactly have a ton of faith in their QC going forward.

Thoughts?

jrjach75:
Man, I almost bought one last season, then started hearing about zipper issues. Now, you aren't the first I've seen with these sewing and window problems. Guessing during the pandemic they had to switch manufacturers in China or something. I think their reputation in the past was valid, maybe not so much any more.

If it were me, I'd take them up on that offer for the replacement, and just resell it as a new in the box shelter. If you lose any $$$ just think of it as money paid to rent the original one for the season. There are still a lot of "Otter Army" guys out there who would be happy to buy it from you.

ian_padron:

--- Quote from: jrjach75 on Mar 03, 2023, 04:16 PM ---Man, I almost bought one last season, then started hearing about zipper issues. Now, you aren't the first I've seen with these sewing and window problems. Guessing during the pandemic they had to switch manufacturers in China or something. I think their reputation in the past was valid, maybe not so much any more.

If it were me, I'd take them up on that offer for the replacement, and just resell it as a new in the box shelter. If you lose any $$$ just think of it as money paid to rent the original one for the season. There are still a lot of "Otter Army" guys out there who would be happy to buy it from you.

--- End quote ---

I think that's a good idea and the route I'll likely go, thanks man.

jrjach75:

--- Quote from: ian_padron on Mar 03, 2023, 04:23 PM ---I think that's a good idea and the route I'll likely go, thanks man.

--- End quote ---

I went back and forth with them on a seat problem with my Hideout too. 100% bad parts, couldn't believe they were even questioning it after seeing the photos I sent. They did end up sending me some parts to make it right, but those parts still weren't what I'd expect for a shelter costing as much as it did. Here I thought I was upgrading, and was shopping again for a new flipover the next season.

Splattypus:
Are they maybe focusing on function over form? Yeah, from those pictures is looks rough as heck, but if it's still working as it should and they're not concerned, it maybe says that their priorities aren't on the details as long as the result is the same.

With that said, for the price of otter products, I'd absolutely expect better finishing touches, regardless of how effective they are. Nothing with the otter brand on it is cheap, if you're going to sell for top price, you have to deliver top quality.in any event, I've been typically drawn more towards Eskimo as it appeals to me aesthetically more than other brands. But I haven't made any purchases of consequence from them either. It's really kind of a shame there's basically only a brands for ice houses and the majority of other ice fishing gear

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version