Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Equipment

Are uninsulated shelters still viable?

(1/3) > >>

bearnoob:
Polling the collective consciousness here. For those of you who have experience in both insulated and uninsulated shelters, is the uninsulated shelter still a viable option?

Here's the background:
I have been offered a great deal on a lightly used Eskimo Quickflip 1. I have only ever fished out of insulated shelters (I have an Eskimo Fatfish and an Otter Cabin but both are unnecessarily bulky when I am fishing alone). I have never fished in a 1-man before. Usually when it is just me I am on a bucket, but after fighting frozen line at -20F, I am thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on this flipover. It would be in my garage now if it was insulated.

I assume the heater will still keep me plenty warm. I've read enough on here to know I will be fighting condensation, but that seems to me to only be a minor inconvenience (as somebody who has not dealt with it before).

I know this isn't the best option out there, but is it still a good enough option to pull the trigger? I can't justify spending $400+ on an insulated 1-man.

Thanks everybody.

billybob851:
I use a frabill predator which is a huge flip over thats uninsulated and most of the time heat is on low. My wife has a otter cabin uninsulated and the same for her.  Just breaking the wind is huge for staying warmer.  The only thing I did to both because it was cheap was put reflectix in the roof area.

Uppervalley Kid:
I have an insulated FX200 and an uninsulated FX100. The uninsulated flip is fine unless there is a strong wind. The insulated shelter makes a big difference in keeping the air from blowing around, it's also a lot quieter (doesn't flap). If its a calm sunny day an uninsulated will be just fine.

jethro:
Seeing as my Clam XL4000T is about 100lbs at the end of the day with a little moisture in it, I'd think an uninsulated would be pretty useful when you want to travel light.

hardwater diehard:
I have an uninsulated HT Polar one man ..it is black and heats up well during the day ...adding my Portable Buddy heater on cold days and/or  night helps alot ...but it a little cramped ..adding the heater even more so .I also have an uninsulated two man Frabill Adventurer ...Trekker cousin...it is light and roomy ...  it has no seats so seating has quite a lot of options. But adding heat to it ..well lets just say I can make margaritas  on some long cold nights..I added a fan last season and that did help . About midway last season I bought an Eskimo Sierra thermal as it was time to not be cold anymore ..I love it still use my Buddy heater with a fan ...the seats are very comfortable and are removable . Insulated is worth the price of admission ..they heat up fast and maintain heat better...weight is really not much different and the wind flap is gone . The Sierra may be a good option for you ...remove a seat or both .. The gray interior is a huge bonus ..a strip of LED lights from Power Practical an an M18 power source it quite bright.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=389003.msg4249487#msg4249487

https://www.scheels.com/p/eskimo-sierra-thermal-scheels-exclusive-flip-over-ice-shelter/01264203912.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version