Author Topic: New to me IQ 550f, To Stud or Not to Stud...  (Read 2426 times)

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to me IQ 550f, To Stud or Not to Stud...
« on: Dec 13, 2021, 08:50 AM »
Hey all. It is that time of year. Deer season is over and I can't wait to hit the hard water. This year I have a new toy. 2012 Polaris IQ LXT 550f. I picked it up cheap with 1000 miles on it. Sled is in excellent condition.
This is my second machine. I also have a 14 Sportsman 850XP.

Here is the dilema. The sled is not studded. The track is in excellent shape and shows almost no wear. I plan to use the sled for times with lots of snow on the ice and the wheeler with chains for little snow to bare ice.

So I am torn on if I should spend the money to studd the track on the IQ. I was all set to do it, but a buddy said to hold off. His concern is since the track is older, studding it may actually put some undo stress on the track and it might split. So now I am second guessing my self. Like I said I dont know that I need it for traction, but it would be nice if I go out on powder and then hit bare ice.

Thoughts?

Side note, any modifications I need to do?? I have very little ability to leave something bone stock.
Rob

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to me IQ 550f, To Stud or Not to Stud...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2021, 09:30 AM »
If your plan is to use the sled when there is snow on the lake I would not stud the machine.  As you have mentioned studs will not help in snow unless you hit bare ice.  I have used a sled for ice fishing on lakes that are covered with snow and have never once wish I studded the track.  Also if you store your machine in the garage it will  not be hard on your concrete.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2021, 09:35 AM »
Your buddy is correct, studding it now might result in a track failure. Not for certain, but a definite possibility. By studs, I mean full length picks, not the tiny little automotive type. Otherwise I'd say put in some big 'ol picks and head out on the glare ice. If you haven't already, check the sliders, easy to replace if need be. At 1,000 miles it might be time depending on how and in what conditions it was ridden. Also replace plugs and belt, easy to do and good peace of mind.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2021, 11:59 AM »
I'll never have anything but a pre-studded track from now on. They are far superior. So if you want studs, I highly suggest looking for a used, pre-studded track. 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2021, 12:06 PM »
Have a 300f long track that is studded. Only way to go on glare ice. Have a newer 500f long track that is not studded. It’s better in deep snow, hauling more gear, and more creature comforts. But, I’ll fish with my 300f most of the time. It’s nice having that traction just in case. Best of luck with your new 550f.
Those are solid machines!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:42 PM »
I personally would put picks on the sled.  I totally get that you think you don't need them but i've seen guys not able to get their sleds on tilt trailers due to ice in the parking lot.  I've also seen times where the snow was icy and the track wouldn't bite going up hills and ineffective braking going down hills onto the lake.  I guess it depends where you fish.  For me, it's picks all the way and i ride a 2000 model year sled.  Your 2012 will be just fine.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:52 AM »
If you have a 4-wheeler, consider using that when there is glare ice and the snowmobile when there is snow.  One downside to studs can be the damage they may do to the floor of your trailer, or whatever you haul the machine in, unless you have floor protection, also they will scratch up concrete floors.  If you don't haul your machine, or have no concern for trailer, or concrete floors, then consider studs. I run a snowmobile up here 5 months of the year, I won't use studs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.