Author Topic: Canadians get all the cool stuff ;)  (Read 1639 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Canadians get all the cool stuff ;)
« on: Nov 29, 2021, 04:41 PM »
Pretty cool technology!!

https://www.icetime.app/

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Canadians get all the cool stuff ;)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2021, 08:43 PM »
Yes and no both.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2021, 05:31 AM »
No to me. I can use my eyes to see whether there's open water or not. And there's no way for those satellites to judge how thick ice is, much less whether its black ice vs honeycombed, especially under a blanket of snow.

I'll stick with my spud bar, thanks.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2021, 07:28 AM »
Yeah, this seems more like a way for an app maker to gather data( and you pay to give them the privilege). It would be interesting to see the app permissions and what info they are stealing from your phone(contacts, location history, etc).

As mentioned, a spud bar and some sense is all that is required to be safe.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2021, 07:47 AM »
Ya I'm sure the entire point is to farm data...  ???

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:09 AM »
No body is saying don't do the work for yourself and just "trust" an app. The whole point is to you can see current ice cover (even with cloud cover)  and quality of ice overy a very large country and use it as a starting point...

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:27 AM »
Ya I'm sure the entire point is to farm data...  ???

Yeah, what a crazy idea. Data mining, who would do that?

It's not like a couple of the biggest corporations in the world(google and FB) got that way by doing the exact same thing.

It's not like the R&D and marketing departments of any outdoors equipment company could make use of such data. And of course, we know these corporations would never allow any databank to be breached and the information to be leaked.

You seem pretty interested in pushing this thing.  Do you have a list of the app's permissions, missoula? If so, can you explain why each of them are required for the app to function? Can you tell us precisely how any data gathered by this app will be used?

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:50 AM »
Snitch 8 I could not agree more. Cant tell how many times I drove miles to find nothing. As soon as you ask you get slammed. I'm to the point now when I do get early ice and I'm on it I wont share anymore. Tired of the barrage of questions. Can I get a wheel house with a 3/4 ton truck out? Let's see early ice I'm on 4 inches of ice with Life vest and ice picks, chisel "braved it out there" yeah come on out I would love to watch a comedy of horrors. The app looks like it's nice but if it does work most persons only want/need it for the first 2 weeks of ice after that everyone usually can figure it out.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:52 AM »
yup, i'm all about pushing this lol {{{eye roll}}} if you don't like it are aren't interested move along....pretty simple. All it is is a tool to see ice cover and quality. End of story.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2021, 09:05 AM »
I couldn't see any details but it sounded like fishermen input data as well. So, as the OP says, just a starting point. (BTW---we have lots of butter tarts up here too----nah nah nah naaah nah!)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2021, 09:08 PM »
You seem pretty interested in pushing this thing.  Do you have a list of the app's permissions, missoula? If so, can you explain why each of them are required for the app to function? Can you tell us precisely how any data gathered by this app will be used?
I've read this thread at least 10 times trying to figure out how you came to this conclusion. The original post stated "Pretty Cool Technology" with a link provided to check out what he was referencing. That's it.....nothing more !! Never even suggested getting the app. How you arrived at being critical & making inane assumptions is beyond me. Geez.....No wonder I rarely post on this forum anymore !!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2021, 09:18 PM »
thanks for sharing!  that looks like something i might be interested in trying  :)

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2021, 06:38 AM »
The biggest benefit to this is seeing pressure ridges. It’s not uncommon here on lake Winnipeg to have 10 ft ridges pop up, and you have to travel for miles to find a safe place to cross.

Seeing the pressure ridges also tells you where to possibly find fish too. The lake is an inland ocean, so it’s nice to have updates. That said, I’m not sure it’s worth 60 bucks a year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.