Author Topic: Flip over and ATV transport  (Read 7105 times)

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Flip over and ATV transport
« on: Dec 02, 2020, 09:24 AM »
I bought the Otter XT hideout this year, which is large for a 1 man but I was/am hoping small enough to transport in the back of my truck with an ATV to avoid pulling a trailer. Does anyone else do this? It wont fit behind my ATV so I'm wondering if anyone has any DIY mods for transporting on top of the ATV or similar. I see they make a box extender that attaches to the hitch which might work as well.
Da Pack!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Flip over and ATV transport
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2020, 10:53 AM »
I have some ideas, like setting the shack on the ATV seat and strapping to the back rack somehow. But then I have to remove my back box. I think the hitch box extender would work but it'd be nice to have some first hand reviews from someone that does that. Hauling a trailer is just one more thing that could go wrong being as I usually travel 2 hrs one way most weekend.
Da Pack!

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2020, 11:37 AM »

Will this work?

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2020, 02:29 PM »

Well this work?

I think my flip might be too long to haul like that, but that's a sweet set up. I assume that's custom made?
Da Pack!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2020, 02:39 PM »
I have the Shappell ATV rack(discontinued) ..here is a link to the dimensions..may be have it fabricated locally ..

http://www.shappell.com/images/ATV-RK_ShelterRackFlyer_07.pdf
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:34 PM »
I think my flip might be too long to haul like that, but that's a sweet set up. I assume that's custom made?

correct.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:44 PM »
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2020, 08:45 PM »
I bought the Otter XT hideout this year, which is large for a 1 man but I was/am hoping small enough to transport in the back of my truck with an ATV to avoid pulling a trailer. Does anyone else do this? It wont fit behind my ATV so I'm wondering if anyone has any DIY mods for transporting on top of the ATV or similar. I see they make a box extender that attaches to the hitch which might work as well.

The only solution I can see is to make a sled deck that goes in the bed with a space underneath tall enough for your flip over. It would have to support the weight of the 4 wheeler, so make the deck stout!

I also considered a ladder rack, and putting the sled on top, but that is pretty high up for loading, and I am not sure there is enough space underneath for the 4 wheeler.

Offline gspman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2020, 02:47 PM »
same here .. what to do

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2020, 09:15 PM »
You could possibly load the wheeler in the back of the truck, then set your portable on it up to the handlebars. the run a ratchet strap or 2 across to hold it in place.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2020, 09:22 PM »

Why would you want to avoid a trailer? Seems like a very simple solution that would take care of multiple problems for you.

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2020, 07:17 AM »
I don't have any photos handy but I used to own a clam nanook and i would just leave the tailgate down and put the hut on its side on the tailgate right against the back of the atv with the bottom of the tub facing outwards.  I would then take a couple ratchet straps and hook them from the hitch on the truck to the top rack on the atv.  The tailgate wires would stop the hut from sliding sideways and the ratchet straps cinched the hut in nice and tight to the atv.  I used that setup for years before I bought a trailer.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2020, 09:22 AM »
The only solution I can see is to make a sled deck that goes in the bed with a space underneath tall enough for your flip over. It would have to support the weight of the 4 wheeler, so make the deck stout!

I also considered a ladder rack, and putting the sled on top, but that is pretty high up for loading, and I am not sure there is enough space underneath for the 4 wheeler.

Here is how snowmobile guys make a sled deck out of wood. You could lift up the deck part to make space for your sled underneath, and I assume you would not need to make it as long as they did to support a snowmobile track. The one thing you would need to figure out is how long to make the ramps. If you are carrying the wheeler 12-18 inches higher, the ramps you use now might be too steep to load safely.

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/636361-weekends-diy-sled-deck-project-complete/

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2020, 08:02 AM »
Why would you want to avoid a trailer? Seems like a very simple solution that would take care of multiple problems for you.

My average round trip is 3 hours, twice a weekend, that's alot of unnecessary wear and tear on a trailer if I can avoid it...but year you're right, that would be the simplest solution.
Da Pack!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2020, 08:03 AM »
You could possibly load the wheeler in the back of the truck, then set your portable on it up to the handlebars. the run a ratchet strap or 2 across to hold it in place.

This is what I've been contemplating, let it ride on the seat and strap it tight. I'm going to try that first before buying or making anything to see if it fits.
Da Pack!

Offline Rowdie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Old Wrestling Coach
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2021, 10:48 PM »

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy"  Dan Gable

Offline Rowdie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Old Wrestling Coach
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2021, 10:50 PM »
I can pull the trailer with ATV and can haul ATV in pickup.  I just pull trailer on the ice too.  I'm not pulling sled on ice without 4wheeler again.
"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy"  Dan Gable

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2021, 09:14 PM »
My average round trip is 3 hours, twice a weekend, that's alot of unnecessary wear and tear on a trailer if I can avoid it...but year you're right, that would be the simplest solution.

Just do maintenance and grease you’ll be fine.

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2021, 08:04 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.