Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > General Tips

Tipup sealant

<< < (3/4) > >>

esox_xtm:
Please, someone try it... Linseed will never be as hard or durable as tung. I've done both and I'll never go back to linseed. Ever.

flagup!:
esox,
I agree with you....i'm going to switch over to tung oil....as soon as I run out of linseed oil...……. About 10 more years I think.  ;)

esox_xtm:

--- Quote from: flagup! on Jan 23, 2020, 01:24 PM ---esox,
I agree with you....i'm going to switch over to tung oil....as soon as I run out of linseed oil...……. About 10 more years I think.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Ain't that the truth! I got probably a half gallon of linseed left (at least) that I've already had for 30 years. But I'll never use it 'cause tung is that much better. The matching can of turpentine is about half evaporated  ::).

Roccus:

--- Quote from: esox_xtm on Jan 23, 2020, 12:48 PM ---Please, someone try it... Linseed will never be as hard or durable as tung. I've done both and I'll never go back to linseed. Ever.

--- End quote ---

Tung oil is a premium sealant, used for hundreds of years on sailing schooners.
I build salt water plugs for striped bass, have done so for 50 years, for many, many year I I used 60/40  BLO  and Turpentine,  about 15 years ago I went to Tung oil,  looking for something that would dry faster and be more durable, research sent me to tung oil, it is far superior and SAFER  than BLO  and Turps. Which can spontaneously combust if care is not taken...
I also build tip ups( I've done  a how to here on shanty on my Snow leopard tip ups), the wood is sealed with tung oul, then painted with marine grade polyurethane paint and then given 3 coats of marine spar varnish..

Not only are they beautiful,  they are extremely durable.

Rebelss:

--- Quote from: dogfish on Jan 23, 2020, 11:16 AM ---Where you boys getting spar varnish?  They made that illegal around me just like oil based paint, bad for the environment "they" say.  All I can get is Spar Urethane and it sucks compared to varnish.
I will second the boiled linseed oil, I cut it with turpentine instead of spirits. I also tend to put it in a dedicated pan or metal can on the wood stove and heat it up before I put it on.  I feel it kicks the exothermic reaction up a notch or two.

--- End quote ---

Everywhere.  Menard's. Wally World. Ace. Home depot.  But, I notice they no longer say if it's urethane...which does suck.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-Marine-Coatings-Spar-Varnish-Gloss-Quart/52500347?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227040546632&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=99652568194&wl4=pla-235725029554&wl5=9019794&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=52500347&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXpCGLl7wvTGkEBf05T8Ybwc3eMc1tCHXQRal6numgPj9OvVMacagKxoCwX4QAvD_BwE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version