Author Topic: Swedish pimple  (Read 7476 times)

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
Swedish pimple
« on: Feb 14, 2015, 05:15 PM »
Bought a couple #2 Swedish pimples, does anyone switch from red blade to yellow blade? Maybe better visibility in stained water. Also maybe single hook for minnow or stay with treble?

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Swedish pimple
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2015, 05:19 PM »
i prefer the red stay with treble ice fishing use single deep water jigging perch open water the pinch of crawler is easier to bait on a single

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2015, 05:49 PM »
I have very limited experience with pimples. The few I have caught were with the treble tipped with spikes, like I do with all of my spoons. Caught a couple using the J hook with a live minnow hooked in the dorsal, deadsticking for crappie.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2015, 10:12 PM »
I've been using them for a few years now and I never changed the blades yet. Red seem to work great and doubt the yellow would make much of a difference. Just my opinion.
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2015, 09:07 PM »
Bought a few of then switched blade to yellow on one that I have two of, going to try the two matching ones except blade color and see if it makes a difference.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:56 AM »
I'd be surprised if the flipper blade color made any kind of significant difference. I will make a judgment call based on what my eye thinks about the color scheme of any given pimple and go with which seems most appropriate. On some, I put both. Why not? I have a ton of pimples going from smallest to large. Use them predominately for trout - Lakers or Bows, mostly lakers. Have switched ALL to single hook as I'm a huge fan of tipping off, weather just an egg or bit of worm on a bow pimple or an eyeball or sucker strip or smelt on a laker sized. Find it definitely improves my luck with them.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2015, 04:08 AM »
I use the red blade and keep the treble hook on mine.

Offline peterk814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:48 AM »
I think as far as color it depends on the day.

I prefer the single hook over the trebles though when im fishing panfish

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:36 AM »
Treble, Red.
Tried the yellow for a while and went back to red, more of a confidence factor.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Stand By

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Been getting splake, perch, and an Atlantic on a pimple with a minnow so far this year. I have some uv blood red tape I picked up to modify some salmon spoons and cut some little pieces for the red s.p. blades. I was watching some perch target the red blades hard, trying to suck them off the spoon, after I lost the minnow.  I also had a strip of the uv red tape on a copper pimple which is what the salmon hit, although there was a large whiner on that too.  The splake liked a silver pimple with a strip of blue dolphin uv.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll never see him again....

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2015, 06:27 AM »
Obviously fish key on some colors ,I know I don't just have 1color jigs and lures.red seems to work best for me and I prefer the treble

Kyle_J

« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2015, 09:36 PM »
I keep my swedish pimples the way they come and work great.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2015, 04:57 AM »
I think everything just looks gray to a fish deep down there... ;D

But I have confidence in the red.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2015, 07:35 PM »
I use the single hook and leave it with no flipper...I tip em with wax worms in the winter and crawlers in the summer...I've had success doing this for bluegill crappie and perch.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:28 AM »
i don't think the color of the flipper matters too much, but i think the yellow flipper is supposed to used in addition to the red flipper, to make it have more motion or vibration. i usually stick with the treble or replace it with a 2" dropper line and either a small hook or a light jig

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:50 AM »
Years ago when I pan fished more (yellow Perch) I always switch to a single hook and tried all the different combinations of flippers and found that I caught as many fish without one and with one... Now what I tipped my hook with, that made a BIG difference!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2015, 05:20 PM »
Brookies/Togue/Rainbows I'll use the red flipper.

Brownies/Crappie I'll use the yellow.

All with trebles.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline hunterish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:45 PM »
love the red

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:56 PM »
one of my favorite crappie spoons, with the glow being my favorite color.  keep the red, and load the treble with spikes.

I've accumulated quite a few the past couple years.  Just by accident, I bought some of the bigger #4 in blue, and hammered blue.  We were having one of those mornings where the bite was SO hot, you couldn't even get your bait to the bottom without catching a fish.  We were fishing a tournament, so we were after 5 big crappie.  Though were we doing well on the #2 pimples, I went to the #4 and really kept the smaller crappie away, and got some of the best crappie going up to that size.

Offline PikeFisherman325

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2015, 01:44 PM »
great spoons for crappie !     ;)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2016, 04:23 PM »
I've caught lots of Blue Gills, Crappie, Perch, and even a few Pickerels on them.  It's a must have lure in my book, all of mine are in size 2.

Offline bluegil67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2016, 09:40 PM »
One of my favorites, I use them for Perch, Walleye, and Pike. Rig them in numerous ways - exactly the way they come right out the box, replace the treble with dropper chain and single hook, yellow blade - red blade, replace treble with single hook, downsize treble, and different color trebles. Usually the first lure I start with when jigging for Walleye and Pike. #2 white/glow with dropper and single hook with wigglers for Perch, #5 with single hook and minnow head for Walleye, #7 chrome with whole dead smelt for Pike. Very productive lure with many combinations.

Offline Jdoub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2016, 08:51 AM »
Insightful thread! Question: how do you fish with the pimple? Jigging technique? Long slow pulls/drops? Short and fast? Dead stick?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2016, 02:48 PM »
The same as any other lead spoon, jig aggressively with pops and hops until a fish comes on the screen, then small shakes and lifts until he hits. If he doesnt hit within 20-30 sec then go back to jigging aggressively and hope more come in. If you can get more than one fish down there it seems almost always one will hit, competition is good!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Love em and agree with folks that have described em as a must have. I prefer the single hook, but haven't noticed a big difference hookup wise.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:29 AM »
If you have a big fish tank, big bucket of water, or a pool, you can jig and see how each spoon reacts.

Although the same jigging action can be imparted, the reaction of each spoon will vary and as with the fluttering/wobbling of each spoon.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.