Author Topic: 12 volt fan  (Read 2818 times)

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waitin for the freeze!!
12 volt fan
« on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:30 AM »
I am looking for a small 12 volt fan for my Zack Shack. I have a 6" one now but was looking for a smaller one that is quieter and might less power. Any ideas?

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: 12 volt fan
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:41 PM »
A Computer fan is what you're looking for.  I've got one 5" in diameter, with a 3 speed switch, dc brushless motor, almost no noise and takes very little power.  Made by Antec.  There's all sorts of them out there, go visit a computer shop.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:40 PM »
2nd the computer fan, they work great and draw very little power.  I bought a lot on ebay 10 fans went in with a couple friends and we all got a couple fans for our shack.  some spin faster than others, and the faster the spin the more noise they do make, but in any case it they are soooo much quieter than a regular fan or the 12v  truck fan.  My loudest computer fan does move a ton of air, and the only thing I can compere the noise to is the hum of the vex, which it is quieter than that.  I have that one above my heater and only turn it on when warming up the shack.   The other 2 are on the celling to push hot air down.  I have to look at to see if they are even on or not, I cant hear them.

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:09 AM »
The computer fan can be operated at 12 volt? I suppose it would just rotate slower than at 110? Thanks

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:41 AM »
The computer fans run off the power supply in the computer on a 12 volt DC circuit, so no problem running it off a 12 volt gell cell.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:18 AM »
PC's 12 +- volts.
<===Lefty===

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:21 PM »
I made a bracket out of pvc, mounted it to the back of my buddy heater and attached the fan to the bracket. It pushes way more air than I thought it would. It was actually pushing cold air until the heater warmed up.  It's also quiet. I would recommend getting one of the "grill covers" that are made for the fan. It's easy to get your fingers hit by the blades if you try to grab it for some reason.
jbird68

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:06 PM »
My Zach Shack has an overhead 2x4 running the entire length. Would it work to mount maybe 1 fan in the front ( that is where I have my Big Buddy heater) pointed to the rear and one in the middle and one in the rear pointed down? It has sprayed-in foam insulation and like most shacks it is 80 degrees at the roof and 30 on the floor. Thanks for the info on the fan, I had no idea it would be 12 volt!

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:30 PM »
I made a bracket out of pvc, mounted it to the back of my buddy heater and attached the fan to the bracket. It pushes way more air than I thought it would. It was actually pushing cold air until the heater warmed up.  It's also quiet. I would recommend getting one of the "grill covers" that are made for the fan. It's easy to get your fingers hit by the blades if you try to grab it for some reason.
I'd like to see a picture of that Jbird. If you get time, please post it. Sounds like an awesome idea.
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline mr. maloonigins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:57 PM »
Just curious, what is the fan for?

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:46 PM »
The fan is used to circulate the hot air. 85 degrees on top and 45 on the floor!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.