Author Topic: Taking your kids fishing?  (Read 9351 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Taking your kids fishing?
« on: Dec 21, 2013, 11:08 AM »
When taking young kids out fishing as and you only have one depth finder how do you make sure your kids have fun, too? My son is 9 and taking an interest in ice fishing. I just want him to have fun and not get bored like kids tend to do. And I want catch fish, too.
jbird68

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Taking your kids fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2013, 11:12 AM »
I plan on taking my 8 yr old Nephew out for the first time this season. I asked some questions on the MA page and now we have a big group of kids meeting for a "Kids IS Gathering", that should keep them entertained...  As to only one sounder, you can still catch plenty of fish with out one... It is not that hard.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Keep it fun, keep time on the ice shorter than longer, and bring lots of snacks.

Nothing turns kids off faster than someone pushing too hard and making the outing too serious.

WS

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2013, 05:22 PM »
I'd fish the same hole together with him with only nothing else for the memory its not all about catching fish.
:icefish:

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2013, 02:11 PM »
I'd fish the same hole together with him with only nothing else for the memory its not all about catching fish.

I like that idea. I don't think he's ready to fish by himself. But letting him fish my hole with me right behind him lets me fish...just using his arms. ;)
jbird68

Offline jerrife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2013, 02:20 PM »
When I take my boys fishing I let them catch most of the fish. I will take a couple flags after they have both caught a few, but let them catch the majority of the fish. Nothing will get a kid hooked on fishing more than catching fish. Once your kids are hooked you have fishing partners for life.
           :thumbsup: BUBBA ARMY :thumbsup:

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2013, 02:26 PM »
Bring extra socks, gloves and boots.  I know my kids are going to get wet because they have to play with the fish, snow, water and are constantly on the ice.  Hand/toewarmers are a good idea.  We always bring a football to throw around also.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2013, 04:43 PM »
My wife and daughter (who's about to be 7) are showing interest in going this year. Looks like I'm getting kicked out of my 2man and back to sitting out in the elements. As long as I can keep them warm and getting a few bites we should be good. Good tips so far.  :thumbsup:

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2013, 04:46 PM »
Jaw Jacker. 
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Drill three holes in a "loose" mickey mouse ear pattern, then you can sit beside your son and both of you can use one unit.  Depending on how deep you're fishing will determine how close together you have to be to get your hooks to show up on the unit.  You won't know exactly which lure the fish is looking at, but you'll both know there is a fish there, and it's kind of exciting to see who will catch the fish first.  Makes it fun for both of you. It will also allow you to show your kid different jigging techniques if your catching them and they're not.  Alot easier for them to learn if they can see it first hand from dad.  If they still aren't getting the hang of it, put down your rod and help them out till they get the hang of it...:)

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2013, 05:34 PM »
depth finder/sounders are only $1 or $2, buy some more

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:42 PM »
depth finder/sounders are only $1 or $2, buy some more

Think he means sonar. As for fishing with kids...a shanty is a must. I bring snacks,heater, and if i get on fish we switch holes. Extra clothes is a must as well. Let them try different jigs and whatnot too. My son loves to mess around and come up with some weird jig plastic combo to try out. This year he has his own rod/reel and jigs so he should have fun!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline troutperchbeeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2013, 05:50 PM »
My son and I share a 2 man w one unit and it works good. He is 12 and been going w me for a few years. I let him catch most if the fish. He loves tip ups when they r working. But as soon as he gets bored we r out of there. I don't want him to not want to go because I make stay for hours when he is ready. We have left decent bites because he is ready. Its about him when we r out. I go without him when I want to stay all day.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Its about him when we r out.

2X

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:06 AM »
My wife and daughter (who's about to be 7) are showing interest in going this year. Looks like I'm getting kicked out of my 2man and back to sitting out in the elements. As long as I can keep them warm and getting a few bites we should be good. Good tips so far.  :thumbsup:

sounds like a nice thermal hub might be something to look into if they end up going with you a lot.  at least if they get hooked on ice fishing then you have a reason to make that purchase and have your wife's approval since it will benefit all of you.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Love the tips only one I have is waterproof your entire kid
Catching Any?

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:49 AM »
These are all good tips, with younger kids it can be helpful to go out early and drill some holes, than have someone meet you out there with the kids, as far as the sonar goes, I bought one 5 yrs ago, but rarely use it, why? because I'm teaching my son how to fish without it(started at age 7) it is important to be able to sound holes, read maps, know what you are targeting, how to read the shoreline, etc, etc, get them involved with all the planning and strategy, they love it and will learn alot   

Offline rich d.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Make sure that they as prepared for the conditions as you are and know when to quit. That's always served me well and my kids routinely ask when we can go again so I guess it works....

Offline jonny boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:49 PM »
it's all about fun.keep them  happy  and they will return the gift.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:39 PM »
My 15 year old could care less about ice fishing, he has never really sounded interested in it.

My 8 year old went out with me a few weekends ago when it was raining. we both were soaked, tired, and chilly but he did not stop smiling the whole day. I showed him what to do on our first flag and the rest of them he tried to land. It was a good day, we probably got 20 flags.

But even through soaked clothes and boots, my son ran to every flag and smiled the whole day.

When the bite stopped is when the cold and wet kicked in for him.

My buddy brings a bat and ball, as well as a frisbee and football when he brings his kids.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:55 PM »
You just have to remember it is about the kids when they are young. Let them take the flags, Let them use the electronics. If they are catching fish and having fun then nothing else matters. If they are bored then you might as well go home since they will not make it fun no more for you.

Offline Live4fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2018, 08:11 AM »
Took the boy out this weekend, he was running around on ice sliding and playing, when he would get tired he'd come and relax for a minute and help me clear ice from holes...surely bring snacks and can't forget some good tunes

Offline GreeceMonkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:26 PM »
Bring more than one kid. Sibling, cousin, school friend, etc. That usually helps for entertainment value and keeping them busy when the bite is slow. 
Insulated tent and underwater camera are some of my better investments for the kids (and myself).
And most importantly, plenty of snacks.
If you can get them on top of some fish then they are hooked for life!

"A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of anything else"

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:49 PM »
You just have to remember it is about the kids when they are young. Let them take the flags, Let them use the electronics. If they are catching fish and having fun then nothing else matters. If they are bored then you might as well go home since they will not make it fun no more for you.

I agree,  always planned trips when my kids where younger to places I knew we could catch fish, dink perch or small trout.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:03 AM »
X2 on all of the above....and bring a kite.  Any other activity you can do is more time on the ice and fishing.
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:31 PM »
Started taking my kids fishing about 35 years ago now, never had all the toys back then but still had lots of fun. The one thing I will say is buy your kids decent fishing gear. I have seen parents pay 80 bucks for a video game and when it comes to fishing gear they will spend 19.95 on a junk combo. Also pick up some venom floats and tie all your kids lines up with a slip float...........they will always have the lure at the right depth, and the presentation works really well summer or winter. Spend as much time as you can with your kids, mine are all grown now, we still fish together buy not near as often as when they were young. These fishing memories will be some of the best you will ever have in your life.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2021, 06:06 AM »
Bring an old post back to life. My two grandkids are wanting to go fishing with Papa. Next week is open with no school so they are fighting over who goes first. I have a two man flip over so it's one at a time. My 11 year old granddaughter won the toss. I'll have plenty of hot chocolate and snacks for her. Warm clothes and plenty of hand warmers and the shanty is heated. I also hope to have the permit for me to use my golf cart as a disabled person so trips to the bathroom will be handled. The big thing will be finding fish so she isn't bored and wants to go home early because we only have one vehicle and it will mean packing up and leaving. Mom and dad both work. My 7 year old wild man of a grandson loves the snow and cold and fishing so he shouldn't be a problem. I'm looking forward to it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.