Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > General Tips

Fish chasing on the flasher, but not biting -- what to do?

(1/6) > >>

michiganice:
Last year was my first year using a flasher and I loved it.  Watching the tungsten jig on the screen and seeing how the fish respond is a lot of fun.  However, some days it seems like they will just chase it and chase it, but never bite.  What do you guys do in these situations?  Switch baits, move somewhere else, wait it out?  I've tried all sorts of different jigging motions, letting it sit still, but seems like they just won't bite sometimes even though they're there.

lefty2053:
Sometimes something smaller,other times you might try and keep the jig moving and not let the fish get a good look at what it is. When you pause the jig/lure they get a good look at it and might not like what they see. If you keep it twitching some it might help. Also I found a lot of fish before on the bottom and none would hit. I saw very few up in the water column at 10 FOW and moved to that area. Less fish but they would hit. ALso a trailer hook with a fly or just a hook with bait could help.

hardwater diehard:
Several things to consider....add a swivel ...stops the lure/jig from spinning ....I start with a large lure/jig and move up from the bottom to the top of the water column  to locate the active fish... start aggressive then less aggressive  ...if no takers then start scaling down in size ....more aggressive than less aggressive  and so on .....switch baits ...some lakes I fish the crappies love minnow heads ...other lakes like spikes or waxies ....some days/nights I use glow lures ... also play keep away with the fish...it separates the more aggressive fish from the crowd  .... and always use a dead stick ...sometimes that is the only way they'll bite .

Swift:
Much smaller, darker presentation and basically dead stick it in their face often solves the problem. If small didn't work, larger and brighter jiggled in their face may get them angry enough to strike. Situation is annoying but happens all the time, just keep trying in a outside the box approach. Sometimes the better fish aren't looking for a 45* presentation that Tungsten jigs tend to show. Go horizontal with something imitating a pinhead minnow can solve the problem, aka 1/80 trout jig with a weedge, whip, tri=tail, etc.....don't be afraid to trim the plastics down to size

michiganice:
Sweet, have some good ideas to try out...hopefully in a week or so  :tipup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version