Author Topic: Shanty Anchors  (Read 19433 times)

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Shanty Anchors
« on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:20 PM »
Several years ago I was siting in my portable shelter doing a Little jigging, watching my tipups doing nothing. I got the bright idea to relocate a couple tipups. As soon as I got out of the shack, it took off downlake like a sailboat :-[ .

Then last season, I ran out of the shack to check a flag, only to have the shelter( girlfriends shack) blow over, with a heater and bucket of minnows inside. Very ugly :'(

At Cabala's the other day, I ran across some shanty anchors. They look like large eye screws. Anybody use them? Do they work?

Thanks................ ....
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

grumpymoe

Re: Shanty Anchors
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:02 PM »
they might work...but nothing beats the simplicity and ingenuity of bobberstops shantystops....its a do not miss success!!!...Grump...see top of the page... ;D

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2004, 11:03 PM »
I use 5/16" x5" lag bolts to hold down my shelter.I bring my cordless drill and before the wind picks up, I predrill with a 1/4" drill bit and set the sled down if it's windy.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:15 PM »
I've used the ice screws.  They worked fine for me even in high wind conditions, but............as Grump said earlier, Bobbertops anchors are easier to hook up and hold the shanty down the best.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2004, 04:29 PM »
You ever step into one of these half drilled ankle busters. I prefer the ice screws

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2004, 06:16 PM »
I use the ice screws for my traveler and they work well.  It takes a while to screw them in though.  I have to try and remember a peice of wood to go into the eye that will give more leverage and I think it would be easier.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Catfish Hunter

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Pop an extra hole and use a lawnmower blade bigger than your hole.

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2004, 05:52 PM »
the beauty and simplicity of bobberstops shantystop, is you dont have to drill until you hit water....about 3-4 inches is all that is required.......and it wont freeze in....anything else works......but can you pull it out at the end of the day????....as far as ankle busters.....i dont think that anyone who anchors their portable, would knowingly step into a partially drilled hole just outside their shanty....just Grumps 2bits..... :P

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2005, 04:25 PM »
I have seen the same thing that you are talking about Bryon.  You can save yourself several dollars by going to the local hardwaare store and buying eye bolts.  I have used mine for the past two seasons with great success.  Even in high winds. 

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2005, 05:14 PM »
Do you mean eye lag bolts ?
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2007, 11:39 PM »
I pre drill with a battery drill and use eyebolts....  1/4" works fine. I never could get an ice screw in without predrilling and its so easy with the battery drill

Offline gillmanwi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2007, 06:37 PM »
yea i have had this problem since my venture is so tall that it is a giant kite the first day i had the problem i went to the hardware store and bought some eye bolts, some rope, some turn buckles, a couple of small karbiner clips, and some cable clamps and made a system that works quite well just screw the bolts in then hook the clips to the shanty (it has small holes around that the cloth clips to) and tighten up as much as possible with the turn buckle

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2007, 12:17 AM »
I have both the HT and the Clam brand shanty anchors. Both are self tapping so they are easy to use and stay very well. I would give the edge to HT because the handle is rubber coated making it more comfortable and less slippery. The handle opening is a little bigger on the HT model as well - I have large hands and have no problem getting torque on the handle.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2007, 04:42 PM »
I use the anchors that are supposedly self drilling. I find on good hard ice they still can be tough to get started. I have a small hand drill with a 1/4" drill bit to predrill the holes. Much easier and lighter than lugging out a portable drill with the battery.  Lou

Offline bigdip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • any beer down there?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:26 PM »
they might work...but nothing beats the simplicity and ingenuity of bobberstops shantystops....its a do not miss success!!!...Grump...see top of the page... ;D
   top of the page???

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:44 PM »
whatever you do...do not place your auger in partial hole w shanty against it to keep it from blowing away. I did an gale force winds blew my shanty over and bent the auger bit on my Nils. reordered new one today...OUCH!!!

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2008, 08:50 AM »
whatever you do...do not place your auger in partial hole w shanty against it to keep it from blowing away. I did an gale force winds blew my shanty over and bent the auger bit on my Nils. reordered new one today...OUCH!!!

Snot Rocket

Ouch is right!
That sounds like it could get expensive. They definitely don't give away good quality augers!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2008, 01:06 PM »
I use the anchors that are supposedly self drilling. I find on good hard ice they still can be tough to get started. I have a small hand drill with a 1/4" drill bit to predrill the holes. Much easier and lighter than lugging out a portable drill with the battery.  Lou

A few good taps with a rubber mallet is all it takes to get my (Ice Cube) ice-anchors started, then I just turn them in as far as I like. It's way easier than trying to start them by hand.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:56 PM »
I saw a good one the other day,

Drill a hole, get a  8 to 12" piece of wood(stick/pipe/dowl) anything will work, tie rope in the center and stick it down the hole, pull up on rope and get it to catch across the bottom of the ice and tie off onto something on your shanty. Works fine and is cheap.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:58 PM »
Bad thing about the string and wood trick is you have to  keep hole open or carry a hammer. I know this first had...LOL
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:45 PM »
Bad thing about the string and wood trick is you have to  keep hole open or carry a hammer. I know this first had...LOL
Not if you dont care about the piece of string and wood. Your only cutting off 12-20" max. Just use a solid stick and a eco friendly rope (hemp) rope from the earth back to the earth. Ive never done this, but its not like its going to hurt the lake much. Just an idea.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline mailman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2008, 07:36 AM »
I use the screw in type anchors, but what I do is to take a gutter spike and tap in a inch or so in the ice for a pilot hole to get the anchor started and they turn easy.  Never had one pull out yet and I've been out  in some windy days.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2008, 01:05 PM »

I tried the Ultimate Ice Anchor yesterday.  Loved it.  To see them just google Ultimate Ice Anchor.
It truly was self tapping.  Went into good hard ice so easily that I screwed it in with one hand in just a few seconds.

I've tried the HT and Clam "eye bolt" type anchors. 
They don't self tap. 
Starting them with a mallet bent them before they got started. 
I don't want to carry a cordless drill.  The last thing I need is one more item in my fishtrap; adding weight and taking up space.  Besides it being one more thing to be prepared, have charged and then remember to take it with.

Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:23 AM »
in my shanty, there are two compartments for jigging. in these compartments i put a ratchet strap through one hole and bring it through the second hole and then ratchet it down. the compartments are adjacent and the straps are completely out of the way.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline bassoliciuos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2008, 01:39 PM »
I tried the Ultimate Ice Anchor yesterday.  Loved it.  To see them just google Ultimate Ice Anchor.
It truly was self tapping.  Went into good hard ice so easily that I screwed it in with one hand in just a few seconds.

I've tried the HT and Clam "eye bolt" type anchors. 
They don't self tap. 
Starting them with a mallet bent them before they got started. 
I don't want to carry a cordless drill.  The last thing I need is one more item in my fishtrap; adding weight and taking up space.  Besides it being one more thing to be prepared, have charged and then remember to take it with.

Ultimate ice anchors are great.  They self tap and go in easy with one hand.  I just don't like the $40 a pair price tag.

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:10 PM »
I use 5/16" x5" lag bolts to hold down my shelter.I bring my cordless drill and before the wind picks up, I predrill with a 1/4" drill bit and set the sled down if it's windy.
i like the idea. may use it on the chair they were blow across the lake serve time last season.

Offline buffaloice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2008, 02:46 PM »
i drill 4 holes with a 3/4 inch old hand drill one on each side of my shanty,about 4 or 5 inches into the ice,insert a  3/4 inch by 4 foot aluminum tube inside the tube i put a 1/2 inch by 3 foot bar of solid steel works in any conditions

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2009, 12:41 PM »
Has anyone used these before?

Eastman High Perfromance Ice Stakes
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2009, 03:20 PM »
Has anyone used these before?

Eastman High Perfromance Ice Stakes

Comes with my ice cube, works great. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2009, 03:31 PM »
I've been using an ice screw for years now. Self tapping and no problem to remove.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.