Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Live Baits and Plastics

Leeches

<< < (2/3) > >>

big walleye:
 ;D ;D ;D I tried leeches at first ice last year and had great success. The key is first ice. 3 -4 inches of ice. I tried again in mid December and they tend to roll up on you. The perch sure loved them at first ice.

trapperdirk:
 I can only wish they were available to me here in the wintertime .  :-\ :'(

Kodiak Commando:
I don't know why they would just ball up because they seem to do well here in very cold water and the trout love them. Most of the trout caught here are on eggs in the winter but when you gut the fish they are full of leeches.

grumpymoe:
Hmmmmm..Big Walleye.....i know thats your favourite bait...and i know that you stop using them when it gets cold....but i do know that where i fished last winter, leeches were available...just like anything else, the biggest mistake we can make is having any bait in water/containers that have too much of a temperature difference..leeches dont hibernate just like minnows dont....keep em iced just the same with minnows, and they will not ball up very often....Grump :tipup: :tipup:

jaymzthefisher:
I have also used leeches ice fishing in place of Waxies. Just used a very sharp Knife cut off little piece and tipped on a Genz worm. the perch loved it and I didnt have to bait up as often.

Jaymz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version