The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Format Doomed  (Read 3403 times)

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
Format Doomed
« on: Feb 28, 2017, 09:44 AM »
This whole message board thing is circling the drain.    I don't mean just Ice Shanty - IS has actually held on far better than most  message board entities.   From the old BBS 5 boards in the 90's to now, there has always been these keyboard brawls.  It is no more or less acrimonious than it always has been.  There have been some battles that weren't settled until the channel 4 eye team got involved - literally!

From fixing snowblowers to growing orchids, special interest boards have folded because of lack of participation.   Many saltwater charter businesses were built on the back of message board reach.  Once these boards folded due to consistently dwindling participation, there were no replacements.   It wasn't a situation were people moved to another board to avoid personalities. Some of these boards were incredibly popular!  Be it Facebook or whatever , people are using their electronic communication time in other formats besides message boards.   

I'm impressed that the Shanty has held on this long.  My guess is that the owner sees the writing on the wall though.   I would be curious to see the page per season numbers on the last 10 years.   I bet you see a steady decline.    Is the end of the Shanty near?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Format Doomed
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2017, 09:48 AM »
Probably not.  I think boards like this will always have their place for those who dislike or don't use other social media sites like FB. 

http://www.iceshanty.com/advertise/options/advertise_on_iceshanty.shtml

The traffic here is solid...

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2017, 09:56 AM »
What has killed more websites that I have seen is updates. The website owners will tell everyone about the new big improvement soon to happen.  You go there one day and the place sucks. Mobile-friendly is the kiss of death.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:30 AM »
IS picking up over 1k new members a month during season, its not going anywhere.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Online forums are as strong as ever. Esoteric interests will always keep them around.
Yes, some will come, some will go - but they will always be there.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2017, 11:43 AM »
IS picking up over 1k new members a month during season, its not going anywhere.
picking up new members is great but losing great members is the problem. I've met and become friends with and fished with many guys from I.S ! These are seasoned knowledgeable helpful guys that made my ice fishing days much more enjoyable. Unfortunately most of them no longer post here anymore. Its certainly not because they all of a sudden decided they didn't want to  help or share. I came to this site to meet people, help when possible, share some knowledge picked up along the way. I can't speak for others that stopped posting but I'm assuming its the same reason I will probably stop after this year. Too many trouble makers that pick apart posts! Trolls that have nothing to contribute other than stupid remarks! Those looking for hand outs and never helping in return!  The arm chair anglers that are jealous others are fishing and catching fish!
Until this site can get new members and keep the old ones too, its a losing battle. When all the members that actually participate and share are gone, what's left? A SINKING SHIP 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2017, 12:41 PM »
picking up new members is great but losing great members is the problem. I've met and become friends with and fished with many guys from I.S ! These are seasoned knowledgeable helpful guys that made my ice fishing days much more enjoyable. Unfortunately most of them no longer post here anymore. Its certainly not because they all of a sudden decided they didn't want to  help or share. I came to this site to meet people, help when possible, share some knowledge picked up along the way. I can't speak for others that stopped posting but I'm assuming its the same reason I will probably stop after this year. Too many trouble makers that pick apart posts! Trolls that have nothing to contribute other than stupid remarks! Those looking for hand outs and never helping in return!  The arm chair anglers that are jealous others are fishing and catching fish!
Until this site can get new members and keep the old ones too, its a losing battle. When all the members that actually participate and share are gone, what's left? A SINKING SHIP

That is a shame.  I don't want to deal with all of the other nonsense that comes with FB and I enjoy your posts on here.  You shouldn't let a few bad eggs impact your overall view of the site.  I think it is a great knowledge sharing and informative site.
westernmas on the finder

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2017, 01:00 PM »

And that is nowhere enough to counteract those members dropping off the radar.   Take a look back at the number of jan1 - feb 28 posts over the last 10 years - it's easy if you use total pages between those dates.   Amazing drop in use.   It's not dead tomorrow but it can't keep hemoraging participation at this rate.     

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2017, 01:03 PM »
Iceshanty has fared much better than every single other forum that I belong to.    But even still, we are hemorrhaging members.   A lot of it is folks going to facebook and the ice fishing groups there.

unfortunately, the numbers dont lie, here's a lil bar graph I did up using iceshanty's new topics stats, i projected this years total.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2017, 01:06 PM »
the ice fishing groups on Facebook....the demise of fishing!!!!! >:(

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2017, 01:08 PM »
the ice fishing groups on Facebook....the demise of fishing!!!!! >:(

it is kind of sad.   This was my first year subscribing to many of them on FB, and its really not the same.  Not even close.   Even though we use our actual names as our handles, it seems so very impersonal, with a lot of immaturity and no real identity to the posters and their topics.    A lot of post and run type stuff.   

Offline Wombat23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2017, 01:15 PM »
As a new member who just joined and am enjoying the discussions I'm seeing here, I hope the site isn't going away soon. If you look at the number of views each topic gets everyday, I'd say that a lot of people are reading the topics, but few are responding.  And guys like me are spending  lot of time reading the old "how to" posts from even 5 years ago just to learn the fishing basics.

Thanks to the regulars who keep posting and keeping things going. I hope to add more next season and hopefully see you guys on the ice!

Offline bassEater69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2017, 03:03 PM »
Guys enough of the trolling... let's grow up here

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2017, 03:11 PM »
I quit (actually never started) posting pics because of the antiquated method of having to post pics.

I quit posting daily updates (like I always did during ice season) because of thankless slobs, those who decided to run rampant on private property, etc., etc.

Sad but true reality, those types far outmanned the responsible types that were checking in on the reports.

The big water/jefferson thread in the old days were a few dozen pages each year..the past 3-4 years , a good year was 3-4 pages.

That says it all right there.

Lurkers and hogs turned me off to posting conditions.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2017, 03:19 PM »

Lurkers and hogs turned me off to posting conditions.

yep, will never forget the day someone publicly outed my private access on my favorite lake trout lake.   The very next week there wasn't even room to park  :-X  Happens now with FB unfortunately.

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2017, 03:32 PM »
yep, will never forget the day someone publicly outed my private access on my favorite lake trout lake.   The very next week there wasn't even room to park  :-X  Happens now with FB unfortunately.

You could post a picture of a hog on here during the week and type in a name of a  local pond in your area that "blows" and by the weekend the place would be slammed with chasers. I mentioned it in an earlier post this year, this year more than any other year certain Berkshire bodies of water have been huge topics of the site and rightfully so with safe ice, however I have never in my 20 plus years of ice fishing seen so many people out on these lakes this year. Specifically the lakes that were hot topics on here. The correlation is uncanny.
Drill um and fill um........

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2017, 04:11 PM »

Facebook is perpetuating it now.....

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2017, 04:17 PM »
I used to post pictures when I caught impressive fish but the past 4 years I cant get any pike over 15lbs or bass over 7.  I have to have my wife post them for me because it seems close to impossible for me who has trouble with anything to do with computers.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2017, 04:19 PM »
The "Jon is the court jester of Ice Shanty"/"I hate that kid's guts" PM's come to ME, Jonny.  In fact, I got another one from a friend just now LOL

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2017, 04:22 PM »
Here, I'll give you an excerpt: "I cant stand that ****censored word****ing kid. Just saw the posts."

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2017, 04:58 PM »
I used to post pictures when I caught impressive fish but the past 4 years I cant get any pike over 15lbs or bass over 7.  I have to have my wife post them for me because it seems close to impossible for me who has trouble with anything to do with computers.

That's OK the world needs you to move dirt and snow! 

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2017, 05:37 PM »
Anybody have a graph showing how many people have dropped off the site because IowaAccord is such a colossal pain in the a#$?

Just let it go.
 We just had the moderator involved with another post that was getting negative.
 Please, if you have to comment on a specific individual, just PM him and leave it out of the general forum.
It seems like your trying to get him upset with your comments. Please knock it off.
Thank you
MA

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Just let it go.
 We just had the moderator involved with another post that was getting negative.
 Please, if you have to comment on a specific individual, just PM him and leave it out of the general forum.
It seems like your trying to get him upset with your comments. Please knock it off.
Thank you

I am done. I believe I've made my point

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:21 PM »
If you don't like someone don't get involved in their posts. Jon is very knowledgeable and although I have never met him he has always been very helpful when I have asked him questions, as has most on this site. hat's what the site is for, not talking about how you don't like someone or your friends don't like someone...take that crap home and stay off the site if that's the way you are!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2017, 09:30 PM »
I can speak for many who don't post on this site anymore due to stealing of spots with Metadata. And to think it's one of your beloved members doing it....among others

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2017, 09:44 PM »
Don't even know what metadata is but if I understand stealing correctly for me to steal from you would require you to own what I would be stealing.???? I share all my spots and knowledge with anyone who asks or wants to know because I love the sport and want everyone else to safely enjoy the sport as well. I don't hide spots or info from anyone and enjoying getting together and meet others. It's NOT your spot unless it's on your property!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:05 PM »
I can speak for many who don't post on this site anymore due to stealing of spots with Metadata. And to think it's one of your beloved members doing it....among others
if you have the location turned off in your camera settings on a cell phone, can someone still get the location where the photo was taken? Often wondered that?

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:10 PM »
Not sure, but I think so. However not going through the extra effort of turning off the location every time I take a picture. I'll just share with my friends.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:22 PM »
Don't even know what metadata is but if I understand stealing correctly for me to steal from you would require you to own what I would be stealing.???? I share all my spots and knowledge with anyone who asks or wants to know because I love the sport and want everyone else to safely enjoy the sport as well. I don't hide spots or info from anyone and enjoying getting together and meet others. It's NOT your spot unless it's on your property!

Papa - You're like the Cap't Marciano of the Ice:
A Wicked Tuna style class act selfishly helping others and asking for nothing.  It could be worse, you could be a Dawt Calm Cap't that yells at Googans on "his" numbers.

Thanks for your help I've gotten while "lurking" here.  For me, it's about how not where, you've helped me with things.

There's more Marciano's here than Dawt Calm guys, thank Gawd.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:25 PM »
I gotta say, even though I haven't been on here that long, every time I ask a question I get solid, serious responses... Usually even a pm or two with more info than I could have hoped for.

I've seen a couple forums go down the tubes by deuchie responses and thread derailment but that doesn't happen much here. Obviously there's the end of the season twitchies and you get what we had recently but that doesn't mark the demise of an otherwise awesome forum.

I love that there's people who also care about how fast the ice melts and what leader for pike and even what we had for lunch right down to the last morsel. I've met virtually none of you but I feel like I kinda know you... (For better or worse) ;D

Every now and then you gotta kick out the drunk uncle but that's how it goes.

My season's not over. Fishing in Fairlee vt this weekend then gonna give herriman another whirl on Monday assuming weekend temps fix up the edges.

I'm not smart enough to post pics but will give full reports on both trips.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.