Author Topic: Fishing in rather shallow water, worth using electronics?  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Stormcrow313

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi!

I have never used any kind of sonar/fishfinder/depthfinder on the ice, and I mostly fish in 5-15ft of wather, with a maximum of about 30ft. We dont have much deeper water around here.

Would you say that I could still benefit from using a fishfinder? I have an Lowrance elite 4x on one of my boats, and that could easily be taken off and used as a portable, but I´m not shure its worth the time to do it, as I´ve never tried it.

Here in sweden, it´s really unusual to use any kind of electronics, I´ve never seen one used in my life, and I´ve ice fished for at least 30 years regularely.

We have a MUCH different icefishing... culture, if you will, than what you have, a few examples: We dont use tip-ups (but we have something similar, but that was mostly used up until 20 years ago). we rarely use minnows for baits, unless its for perch and pike, in witch case we use (mostly) roach in 4-5" for perch, and 5-up for pike. We almost never use plastics for icefishing, but that has started to change a little, shanties/flipups and such are really uncommon, etc, etc.

It´s fun to read about the differances, and I try a few things that I read about with mixed results.

I feel I got sidetracked from my original question here..... ;)

//Hans

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fishing in rather shallow water, worth using electronics?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2017, 06:16 PM »
I don't think electronics are much use when fishing with a tipup or similar tool with live bait.  It might help you figure out where to set the traps, but that's about it.

The real worth of electronics is when you are fishing with a lure.  It has been a real game changer for me.  Being able to see when  fish are there and trying to entice them to bite, or seeing when fish aren't there, are both things you can't do without electronics.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2017, 06:38 PM »
in answer to the question of depth, i've fished effectively with sonar in as little as 5 feet of water. usually though, i fish in depths of 15 to 30 feet as well, and it works fantastically in those depths.

most good sonar units have an effective depth range of 5 feet to 120 feet, and will read very accurately throughout those depths.

sonar really shines when jigging and fishing with lures, which you can absolutely tip with bait should you need to. having a sonar and being able to see what's below me in some detail has totally changed the way i fish, and has certainly made me more consistently successful, often with more than 25 fish caught in a day.

Offline Stormcrow313

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2017, 02:25 AM »
Thanks for answering.

So, if I understand you correctly: Yes, I will benefit from a fishfinder, even in the shallow lakes we have here.

Guess I´ll have to try it to see for myself if it can enhance my fishing experience. I still have about a month of good ice here, so I´ll give it a shot.

I mostly fish with marmooshkas, spoons etc, so it might help me step up my game.

Thanks

//Hans

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2017, 06:18 AM »
Stormcrow, yes. If you are jigging with lures you will benifit from electronics in waters as deep as you have stated. In shallow clear waters that I can see to the bottom, I tend to watch my jig instead because I like watching the fish take my lure. But if I can't see my jig, a flasher or finder is the next best thing. On most of the lakes I tend to fish here in Pennsylvania I can't see much deeper than 10 ft, and that's on a clear lake and in my flipped clam. At the very least, the electronics will let you know if there are fish below you. usually though, electronics lets you know how the fish are reacting to your lure and bait. As you get better with them they will tell you all sorts of stuff, like if that little tug stole your bait or not.

From what I gather, ice fishing in your part of the world is in transition... maybe it's not a bad thing to be ahead of the curve ;)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2017, 12:18 PM »
Why do you need to ice fish?   You have ZLATAN!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2017, 12:39 PM »
you already know how to read your sonar, so why not use it year round. they should offer an ice kit for it too. you'll be a trend setter there!

i fish mainly 7 to 12 feet of water all of the time for pan fish.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2017, 06:13 PM »
We mainly fish 10 to 20 foot deep here and I won't be without one.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2017, 05:20 AM »
One more thing I'd like to add. As 3300 mentioned, there is an ice fishing kit for that fish finder. I know because I have the same finder on my kayak and was thinking about getting the ice kit for it so I could use it as a back up to my humminbird flasher. Unfortunately this winter never really made much of an appearance here so I let it slide on by. Here in the states I can get the kit (which is a soft side bag + cradle, transducer and wires) from several sources for around $130.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:13 AM »
One more thing I'd like to add. As 3300 mentioned, there is an ice fishing kit for that fish finder. I know because I have the same finder on my kayak and was thinking about getting the ice kit for it so I could use it as a back up to my humminbird flasher. Unfortunately this winter never really made much of an appearance here so I let it slide on by. Here in the states I can get the kit (which is a soft side bag + cradle, transducer and wires) from several sources for around $130.
The ice kit also includes a battery.  I have two 5 inch screen Lowrances units set up with the Lowrance ice kits, I prefer using the graphs, never use my flasher anymore.

Hans, I think you would enjoy and get a lot of good use out of your Elite for ice fishing.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:07 AM »
The value in using sonar fish locators in even shallow water is in that when you can use these to see there are definitely fish present but they are not actively feeding, then you just move on. The main purpose is for these electronic tools to help you get on actively feeding fish faster by eliminating less productive waters.

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2017, 06:40 PM »
The value in using sonar fish locators in even shallow water is in that when you can use these to see there are definitely fish present but they are not actively feeding, then you just move on. The main purpose is for these electronic tools to help you get on actively feeding fish faster by eliminating less productive waters.

:tipup:
Lobes
That is one purpose, but not necessarily everyone's main purpose.  Seeing the fish and enticing them to bite, is also a worthy purpose.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2017, 07:08 PM »
My local lake is about 12-15 fow at its deepest ...I wouldn't fish w/o my Vexilar on any given day. Between my AV Micro and my Vexilar my catch rate(s) have drastically improved as well as the wealth of knowledge gained by their use.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2017, 08:04 PM »
In my area there are far more lakes in the depth range that you mentioned than ones that are 30 or more feet deep and many people, me included, swear by using electronics.  It will help you increase your catch rate significantly because you'll know if there are fish there, what depth they're at, if they're coming up to your jig, and what they're doing when they get to it.  Aside from that you still need to have the right bait and present it the way the fish want it.  After you use your "fish finder" for the first time and see the increased catch you have you'll wonder why you never used one before. 

Offline Stormcrow313

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2017, 12:25 PM »
Thanks all for your replys, I will give it a try then, and see if it will make a differance for me as well.

As for buying the ice-kit, in our rediculous contry, the ice-kit is so expensive (and comes without the battery), so I might aswell buy the kit complete with a new fishfinder. the difference is about $30.....

I´ll think I just use the one I have in a homemade carrier, and rob the battery from the kids ATV, they aren´t using it during winter anyway ;)

//Hans

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2017, 07:55 AM »
Hi!

I have never used any kind of sonar/fishfinder/depthfinder on the ice, and I mostly fish in 5-15ft of wather, with a maximum of about 30ft. We dont have much deeper water around here.

Would you say that I could still benefit from using a fishfinder? I have an Lowrance elite 4x on one of my boats, and that could easily be taken off and used as a portable, but I´m not shure its worth the time to do it, as I´ve never tried it.

Here in sweden, it´s really unusual to use any kind of electronics, I´ve never seen one used in my life, and I´ve ice fished for at least 30 years regularely.

We have a MUCH different icefishing... culture, if you will, than what you have, a few examples: We dont use tip-ups (but we have something similar, but that was mostly used up until 20 years ago). we rarely use minnows for baits, unless its for perch and pike, in witch case we use (mostly) roach in 4-5" for perch, and 5-up for pike. We almost never use plastics for icefishing, but that has started to change a little, shanties/flipups and such are really uncommon, etc, etc.

It´s fun to read about the differances, and I try a few things that I read about with mixed results.

I feel I got sidetracked from my original question here..... ;)

//Hans

5-15 ft......max of 30......that is about all I fish.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2017, 08:22 AM »
I'm fishing 5ft to 30ft max on every lake around here.wont go fishing without my vexilars and would turn around a get it if I forgot one..no matter how far of a drive it is.i mainly fish in the 10 to 20ft range.lot less searching/drilling with one and can tell you what mood the fish are in and what depth they are hanging in suspended or tight to the bottom too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.