Author Topic: School me on Boots  (Read 8781 times)

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: School me on Boots
« Reply #90 on: Dec 27, 2017, 05:43 PM »
There is a lot of good information here but where I ended up was with the Baffin Snosport's. I have had them for a few years and very happy with them. The brand is great, but the reason I ended up with them was weight.... At this point of my life I have a cranky knee and it does make a big difference.

I am not sure if the company still does this but I did buy direct and they honored the the exchange rate which was about the same as it is now.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:28 PM »
I had a pair of LaCrosse Ice Kings and on the 9th year they developed a leak so the following year got some Kamik.  The Ice Kings were great for keeping warm but like lead boats so I went with the Kamik's.  Now my feet get cold even though I can walk much easier so that doesn't count.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Well, we all now have a definitive answer on what the best ice boot is, Right?

There is a lot of great info in these threads and it is all based on the many varying opinions of each member who bothered to post his favorites.

I remain totally confused because I do have LaCross Ice Kings and they damn sure are heavy clogs but they do keep my feet warm and dry. The Baffin's sound like a great boot too but in searching the web site I see they might be maybe 6-8 ounces lighter per boot so not a big deal breaker given the cost. That and the other fact that a lot of guys have mentioned their favorite Baffin's but completely different style and name to go with them.

No offence to anyone here but I wish I could find a real and scientific test of all the various extreme cold boots where I could compare brand, style and weights against each of the best rated brands. I kind of doubt there are any out there that do it all, light weight, not big and cloggy and super warm and waterproof. That's like asking "What oil is best in your car or truck for winter"? My wife keeps her hair pretty long to about the middle of her back. I bet I could find at least 20 different shampoos and conditioners around here and some a basic store brands while others are stupid expensive "Designer" types. I can't tell a difference between any of them and doubt she can either. I have used Head & Shoulders for about 50 years and to be very honest I am still glad I have some hair.

Gam 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:28 PM »
The best boots I ever had for ice fishing cost me a whoping 12 bucks back in the mid 80's they were called moon boots lol yup that's right the moon boots. They were the warmest boot I ever had ice fishing. But I too am in search of a good ice boot and picked Baffin Snow Monsters in there epic series.  Called Baffin n talked to a rep for about 20 min, was looking at the kootenay (which my buddy has) and the rep actually said I might b a little better off going into the epic series boot.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:16 AM »
Well, we all now have a definitive answer on what the best ice boot is, Right?

There is a lot of great info in these threads and it is all based on the many varying opinions of each member who bothered to post his favorites.

I remain totally confused because I do have LaCross Ice Kings and they damn sure are heavy clogs but they do keep my feet warm and dry. The Baffin's sound like a great boot too but in searching the web site I see they might be maybe 6-8 ounces lighter per boot so not a big deal breaker given the cost. That and the other fact that a lot of guys have mentioned their favorite Baffin's but completely different style and name to go with them.

No offence to anyone here but I wish I could find a real and scientific test of all the various extreme cold boots where I could compare brand, style and weights against each of the best rated brands. I kind of doubt there are any out there that do it all, light weight, not big and cloggy and super warm and waterproof. That's like asking "What oil is best in your car or truck for winter"? My wife keeps her hair pretty long to about the middle of her back. I bet I could find at least 20 different shampoos and conditioners around here and some a basic store brands while others are stupid expensive "Designer" types. I can't tell a difference between any of them and doubt she can either. I have used Head & Shoulders for about 50 years and to be very honest I am still glad I have some hair.

Gam

This issue is how everyone's individual body reacts to the boot.  The "scientific" test is what gives the boots their rating.  Believe me, I'm no boot expert, but I assume they probably just put the boot in an extreme temperature with some sort of heat element inside and measure heat loss and whatever other sciency nonsense.  I'm sure they are field tested as well, but again, that doesn't prove much more as everyone is different.  The problem is some people have better circulation than others, some sweat more than others, people move/fish different than others, while there may actually be a scientific answer for the best type of oil, I don't think it's possible with boots.  I'm in the military, so I literally stand around with hundreds of other people wearing the exact same boots, clothes, socks, etc.  and there are so many different comfort levels in temperature extremes.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:34 AM »
This issue is how everyone's individual body reacts to the boot.  The "scientific" test is what gives the boots their rating.  Believe me, I'm no boot expert, but I assume they probably just put the boot in an extreme temperature with some sort of heat element inside and measure heat loss and whatever other sciency nonsense.  I'm sure they are field tested as well, but again, that doesn't prove much more as everyone is different.  The problem is some people have better circulation than others, some sweat more than others, people move/fish different than others, while there may actually be a scientific answer for the best type of oil, I don't think it's possible with boots.  I'm in the military, so I literally stand around with hundreds of other people wearing the exact same boots, clothes, socks, etc.  and there are so many different comfort levels in temperature extremes.

That was my exact point! I was born with cold feet and just because a pal says his boots are the greatest is meaningless to me. We all be different! My best friend swears by his Mickey's and always has. I can't stand them and end up with wet socks every time I wore them. I do pretty well in the pack boots with felt/wool liners and use antiperspirant spray that does help. Just sitting here right now in house slipper and my feet are sweating. I guess when the design a boot with a forced air ventilation system I might find my best boots. One thing I know for sure is once my feet get bitter cold I am done for the day and it sux.

Gam

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:25 AM »
what kind of socks are you wearing?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:51 AM »
what kind of socks are you wearing?

Thin Polypropolene first and then good wool over them. Over the many years I have learned to put the socks and boots on when I get to the lake so feet don't sweat on the way. Hard to drive in LaCross Ice Kings any way.

Gam

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #98 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:57 AM »
<===Lefty===

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:02 AM »
Maybe a lighter waterproof boot,many to chose from,and those socks with. The adjustable heat.to try to regulate the heat better,don't know .

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:38 PM »
Some guys get cold feet and some guys don't.

Some guys sit in one spot all day and some guys move around.

Some guys will give up some insulation and except a bit of cold to get a less bulky boot and some guys want their feet to be warm at the expense of weight and bulk.

They can put a -140°F or a -15°F on the box but it doesn't mean a whole lot until you are actually wearing them. One guy might be fine if the air temp is -20°F in a boot rated for -10°F but the next guy might like a boot rated for -50°F in the same weather conditions.

Then you have socks. Right or wrong one guy might like cotton socks and another might wear polypro liners topped with wool socks.

Too many variables to allow you to compare boot to boot and have the data work for everyone.

I do not get cold feet very easily. That is changing as I age. In my Ice Kings I am good no matter what. I can not drive with them on very well. They are a bit bulky for hiking. With wool socks in frigid temps and with cotton or what ever socks in warmer temps I am good to go.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Dec 28, 2017, 03:41 PM »
Remember that it's the air that provides insulation. So if your socks are so tight that the air squeezes out, there goes the insulation.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #102 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:19 PM »
I have went through the ice and had the predetors had water in them and fish for the rest of day .mickeys are heavy but most ice fishing boots are.mickeys don't breath and have **** for traction but can be had cheap.i don't care for the mucks didn't keep my feet warm.i have heard allot f good about the trans Alaskan but not own one

I looked up the trans Alaskan and thee seems to be two different styls now...one has real thick soles and the other looks a lot thinner...
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:59 AM »
I highly advise against cotton on the ice.there really is no benefit other than if you like being damp

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Dec 31, 2017, 05:11 AM »
I looked up the trans Alaskan and thee seems to be two different styls now...one has real thick soles and the other looks a lot thinner...
I don’t see that. The “Real McCoy’s” are 15” tall, and weigh about 5.8lbs. a pair. That’s all I see on the Cabelas site. Their selection is down to a few sizes left, right now. My trans Alaskans have kept me out when others are packing it in.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:35 AM »

Never heard of that either.

Please post links so we can see what you are talking about.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #106 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Cabelas predator extremes are the warmest boot I’ve ever owned. I used to get cold feet all the time but not with these.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.