The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: # of Holes per Tankful?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
# of Holes per Tankful?
« on: Jan 16, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Can anyone give me a guesstimate as to how many holes I can expect to drill with one tankful of gas with a 8" Jiffy Stealth with a 2 h.p. Tecumseh?

I'm probably looking at around 8" - 10" inches of ice right now.  I'll be using a gas auger for the first time, and I'm wondering how much gas I need to bring along.  Will one tankful get me through an average day's fishing, or should I bring the gas can?

Offline weimman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: # of Holes per Tankful?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2005, 09:04 PM »
I drilled over 60 holes yesterday and today combined with 8" 2 hp strikemaster and still have plenty in the tank.  holes were in ~7 inches of ice average.

trapperdirk

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2005, 09:26 PM »
I'm not sure and hope I'm not exaggerating but I think I can drill over a hundred holes in 30 inches of ice with a full tank and those are with a ten inch 3hp jiffy .

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2005, 08:37 PM »
Well, I was out today and drilled about 20 holes in approx. 7" of ice.  When I got home, I checked the gas tank to see how much gas I used, and it looked nearly as full as when I left the house.

I guess I won't need to bring along the gas tank on too many one day trips.  At this rate, the gallon of gas I mixed will last me a few seasons. ;D

Offline lonelypike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • MMMMMMM !!!!!! Perch !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2005, 09:23 PM »
I filled my 2hp jiffy 2 weeks ago and i've well passed 200 holes. all between 8-10" of ice. If you are worried about running out on the ice bring a little extra gas. i carry a quart bottle with me when we go on big outings(just incase i forgot to fill it at home). i see alot of guys hauling out big gas cans with them!!!!!! no need to carry all that weight. keep it light.

Offline ajwiez2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bullgills
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2005, 04:06 PM »
another thing that make a difference is the blade how sharp it is and what kind of ice you are drilling . I went out one time with a brand new blade on the auger and cut 5 holes and that was all, the blade got so dull it wouldn't cut any more . There was so much sand mixed in with the ice that it wiped my blade out . so gas was not an issue but on average in 10-14 inches of ice, good blade ,you should be good for over 100 holes easy no matter what . Just remember to fill it up before you leave each time and you should be good to go all day long.
grab the gaff

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2005, 02:31 PM »
Hey Thor, It all depends on a bunch of variables. Blades sharp, Ice thickness and hardness, how fast you try to drill ect.
I always bring a quart of extra with me just in case someone lays it down wrong with the vent cap open. It is also a good standby if you ever need to get a quick fire going to get warmed up.
One thing I will caution us all on is the fumes of gas on your hands when you put your baitfish on the hook. I try real hard to avoid touching any gas stuff prior to baiting my hooks, lanterns, augers and heaters all leave a stink that could be transfered to the bait. Never use a JONI type handwarmer in your pocket that runs on lighter fuel. You will spend the day wondering why nothing touches your stinky bait. Been there, done it and learned that lesson.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.