Author Topic: *****Post your MANITOBA ice conditions here*****  (Read 6750 times)

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: *****Post your ice conditions here*****
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:46 PM »
I wonder who that person was BLUE :) Was his report reliable, ;D as I intend going out there tomorrow morning? ;) zeus.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:21 AM »
10 -12 inches of ice. Be prepared to walk unless you have a sled or quad. Some areas of frazzle ice is keeping bigger trucks off as reported to me today by a person that was there this morning.
Stay safe.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

I like that report, I was bored at work yesterday waiting for a lost hutturite to find his way, so I texted a couple guys about fishing the big lake.

Is that just at Mattlock, or how is Balsam bay?

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:38 AM »
Balsam Bay is just as bad or worse than Warner or Chalet.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Balsam Bay is just as bad or worse than Warner or Chalet.

So its also walk-on or snowmobile-on?

That would not be bad in my opinion, its still early December, no reason to drive on yet (or ever if you have a snowmobile)

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2010, 02:33 PM »
I wonder who that person was BLUE :) Was his report reliable, ;D as I intend going out there tomorrow morning? ;) zeus.
Yes zeus, very reliable indeed as I usually only report what I've seen firsthand. Second hand info is usually inaccurate. I trust the information this friend provides....I'd bet my life on it and that's "NO GUFF", as Jim Shockey would say  ;D
I'm currently waiting for today's report   ::) as I'm packing my gear and getting ready for my first trip on hardwater this season.  8)
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline tbennett129

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:41 PM »
I second that, the lake has allot of frazzel ice everywhere. We were out last weekend just outside of the harbor and there was 6-8 inches then probably more in other areas forsure. Quad or sled forsure or walk on. I've been hitting the river lately with decent success. Lots of sauger,  24 and 25 inch walleyes as well. Hope to make it out tomorrow again, hopefully get into a big school or something nice. We'll see!!!

Offline tbennett129

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:46 PM »
6-8 inches at Selkirk air. Some decent fishing, mostly saugers  ::) but a couple decent walleye. Heavy lures, lots of current. I was using a 3/8 jigging spoon and had to have my tansducer hole 4 feet away :o Might head out that way again tomorrow. We'll see.

Offline 793bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grow stupid grow
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:26 PM »
i also went to balsam on sunday and walked out to the point of stones,didn't even bother drilling a hole the ice was creaking and cracking.alot of cracks out there.once i was on shore again there was a loud boom you could see the ice move.

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: *****Post your MANITOBA ice conditions here*****
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:05 PM »
That's typical for the Lake. Happens all winter. Biggest shift/BOOM I've ever been there for was middle of Feb & 3 1/2 feet of ice. That's what ice does on a big lake; especially with high winds. It shifts/relieves pressure.

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2010, 03:57 PM »
Any report about the Red River ice in Winnipeg. (Just before the perimeter)

I heard a young boy fell through and died recently, I don't wanna go on the river until it's safe, but it seams it may not be safe until Jan. when the water has lowered and then all settled?
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Can't see ANY ice in or near the city being safe until end of January, even that would be a maybe.

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:41 PM »
What about within Selkerk... I hear people are at Sugar Island, would it be the same right in Selkirk?
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Can't see ANY ice in or near the city being safe until end of January, even that would be a maybe.

The Red River in the city came up about a foot again since mid week...really dangerous conditions.

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:14 AM »
Anyone from down south ? I heard that Moose lake is slush...( to much snow on the lake ) and any travel is not recommended ? anyone hear anything about  Birch Point or Buffalo ?? Was hoping to head out after Christmas
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline Johnny Lee Sauger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11, 2010, 01:09 AM »
Theres a solid 9 - 12" of ice at st norbert (south winnipeg).  been walking on it since december 1st.  put a few holes right in front of heritage park and tried it.  just a few sauger but we only fished for an hour.  Apparently it's normally a good spot and draws quite a few permanent shacks.  i would stay away from the creek though it seems pretty slushy.

Offline keen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:09 AM »
Theres a solid 9 - 12" of ice at st norbert (south winnipeg).  been walking on it since december 1st.  put a few holes right in front of heritage park and tried it.  just a few sauger but we only fished for an hour.  Apparently it's normally a good spot and draws quite a few permanent shacks.  i would stay away from the creek though it seems pretty slushy.
[I`ve fished there for the last ten years and there seldom are permies there. The last three years the under ice conditions have been too bad to catch enough fish to make it worthwhile./quote]

Offline keen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:11 AM »
Sorry, that didn`t work out right, just the bottom sentences were mine. Don`t know what happened there.

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://i63.tinypic.com/xoeceo.jpg
« Reply #47 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:51 AM »
I went down there one afternoon last year to check it out since it is close by, but didnt have any luck just one burbot.  There were no shacks there last year.  Don't think I go again.

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 13, 2010, 05:12 PM »
At FPB today nothing but 2 saugers, but I only fished a couple hours. (It's too cold not to have heat) Some people had some walleyes. Flasher said the water was 21ft where I was. First I went further out onto the river and drilled, ice was about 8-9". Went a bit closer to shore where other huts were and drilled some holes. Measured 12-13" of good ice. Was it ever making a lot of noise though. I guess the water is rising, but it scared me a bit when I could here some serious cracking right under and all around me.  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.