Author Topic: Twin Beaches Febuary 1st  (Read 3817 times)

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the 1st one on...and the last 1 off
Twin Beaches Febuary 1st
« on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:05 PM »
me and a couple buddys are headed out to twin beaches this sunday...any good tricks for catchin tulibee???
we've just been usin small jigs with stingers...only managed one...but heard someone catching 20..im just wondering if they were usin the same stuff...jig and a minnow
I'm El Capitan Of The Wally Destroyer

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Twin Beaches Febuary 1st
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:09 PM »
and kiwico...a very good shovel wont cut it...that snow is thickkk and hard as hell...just enough to give you problems with a shovel...and just enough so your vehicle sinks in

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:21 PM »
me and a couple buddys are headed out to twin beaches this sunday...any good tricks for catchin tulibee???
we've just been usin small jigs with stingers...only managed one...but heard someone catching 20..im just wondering if they were usin the same stuff...jig and a minnow

Use a teenie little silver jigging spoon ..kastmasters work well in 1/16 oz. No bait needed. Tullibee hang out just under the ice, put a jacket over your head or fish in a dark portable. You can look down the hole and see them flashing past. Can catch dozens in an hour but they only bite well when the sun is up.

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:44 PM »
yeah the visibility gets a little poor when the ice is 4 feet deep!!!... but ill give it a try again...i tried doing it before cause a guy at work told me about that...thx for the tip ill close the flaps on my shack this time

Offline buckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:30 PM »
was me and it was more like 40  just kept 20   but small jig (1/16th) and a small piece of any bait worked.lol when your jig dissapears set your hook ::)

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:54 PM »
what size was the biggest tulibee you pulled out???

Offline buckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:56 PM »
what size was the biggest tulibee you pulled out???
biggest one was 15 but 13  14  was average

Offline eskimoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2009, 01:31 PM »
So i was under the impression that tulibee were not a goos eating fish and people would just throw em on the ice and leave em or throw back.Are they good to eat?? And all go out there on sunday if my auger is fixed in time. (my jiffy i bought 2 months ago is busted already)

Offline deere2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:43 PM »
eskimoman, we should have left on monday when you did no action at all after you left on monday...if i can talk the otherhalf into letting me out on sunday i'd love to hit my old stompin ground but i'll be augerless

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:51 PM »
FYI typically tullibee are closer in than perch. Has to be a sunny day and later in the winter they come in thick. I catch many some days fishing perch. Just chuck them back. Kill the odd one and scale it into ice holes... gets the perch all sped up as the scales settle to the bottom.

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2009, 05:22 PM »
deer2... im headin out there...and i got a NICE auger to drill a couple holes...look for a older black pathfinder...from one fisherman to another...i know the favor till come back

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2009, 05:28 PM »
Well, I won't be there Sunday but I am thinking about taking my son there on Saturday. He's never gone just for Perch before & I think he'll have a blast if we can find them. I've never been to Lake Man before so we'll be kinda winging it. Think I've got sort of an idea just from all the helpful people on here. Cross my fingers,LOL.

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:48 PM »
fshman...it was my first time fishing it last weekend...and i understand how these perchies work...so number 1....do you have a gas auger...cause if theyre not biting...keep moving..

and 2 a 4x4 is ideal...you have to go about a mile or 2 out...and youll bang out all day...

so im goin sunday like i had posted before... but if you wait the extra day...ill drill you a couple holes and point you in the right direction....

if your still going on saturday...get off twin bridges road...go straight out about a km or a 2...and a little to the right....youll be poppin em out in no time...

i hope this information helps you and your son catch more fish

best of luck

tibbs420

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:58 PM »
Thanks tibbs. I have 4x4 & auger. Hope we get lucky at the 1st spot or 2 though. I have REAL bad back & son hasn't learned how to use auger yet,LOL.

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:02 PM »
if thats the case...go about a mile or a mile and a half out to the right....you wont be disapointed...and like i said...if they dont bite within the 30 mins and its not a jumbo...move a little deeper

tibbs420

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:09 PM »
Well, looks like I won't be checking out Lake M for my 1st time on Sat. NO WAY I'm going out there for my 1st time ever in 80k winds. Guess I'll go & check it out on Sunday instead. So tibbs & whoever else from here is going, I'll see you there at some time Sunday. Red Dakota C/C 4x4 with green Eskimo shack.
Sure would be nice to know if I'll be able to drive out there after the big winds they're calling for tomorrow.

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:19 PM »
the wind only pushes the snow to the shore lines...once you get off the shorelines the lake is generally pretty smooth sailing from there on out...hope to see u there...ill be in a black pathfinder...red survival suit...

Offline MNT MIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:30 PM »
Well, looks like I won't be checking out Lake M for my 1st time on Sat. NO WAY I'm going out there for my 1st time ever in 80k winds. Guess I'll go & check it out on Sunday instead. So tibbs & whoever else from here is going, I'll see you there at some time Sunday. Red Dakota C/C 4x4 with green Eskimo shack.
Sure would be nice to know if I'll be able to drive out there after the big winds they're calling for tomorrow.

I don't blame you FMM...a calm day is a windy day on that lake! My brother lives on the shoreline in St. Laurent so I know about the wind and that 80k wind will be havoc!  I'm heading out there on Monday, I'll let you know how I did!
I see the Frisbee getting bigger,Bigger,BIGGER....then it hits me.....

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2009, 12:29 PM »
I'll be out on Sunday too, blue Nissian Frontier, the 80kmh winds scared us too.

Offline MNT MIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2009, 03:27 PM »
Talked to my brother at about noon and he said that you cant see more than 100yards in the wind and snow. He was waiting for the conditions  to improve befor heading into the city...the lucky bstered is going to Panama tomorrow with his wife for 2 weeks! I think I just might high tail it down there and spend a week or so at his place. lol

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2009, 06:54 PM »
it was nice in the morning...it was funny to see all the people out...and as soon as it started to snow..people got off the ice in herds...too funny..visibility was obviously very poor when theres high winds...we went to the steam plant in the morning...caught a couple saugers...then went to breezy when it slowed down and picked up a couple greens...biggest 21...it was an alright day as long as you could take shelter...watched a couple shacks literally fall apart and flip over...theres going to be some angry fisherman when they go to drop their lines in next...

cant wait for twin beaches tomorrow...hopefully the wind dies down a bit

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2009, 05:20 AM »
On my way out the door soon & on my way to Lake MB. Hope it's ok out there with all this wind as I've never been there before.
See you all there.

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:07 AM »
good luck let us mknow how you make out
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2009, 03:47 PM »
just got back from twin beaches...hit maybe about 40 keeper perch...and a buddy missed something big...but didnt get a chance to see it...everything was all good...till about 2 o clock or 2:30...the wind kicked in and literally caved in both our ice cubes...so we quickly packed up and cut our trip short thanks to mother nature...all in all it was a pretty good day...watch out for the roads for the next couple days...that snow is DEEP

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2009, 05:10 PM »
That was quite the whiteout out there eh tibbs?????? Had to start just when the bite was getting better too!!!! Oh well, not a bad day, kept 22 and threw almost double that back.
Good thing everyone out there had a Dodge to bust the trail for them,LOL. NO PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2009, 06:13 PM »
lol thanks alot...we were the ones right beside you... if we wouldnt have followed you there we would have been toast...i kinda felt bad puttin up our shacks soo close to your area...but we knew we werent gettin any further than you..but we planned on headin a good 2-3 miles out..you didnt seem to have a any problems..your back end was just fishyin all around lol..it was sweet..you should have seen the ride home back to winnipeg...it was deadly...

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2009, 06:16 PM »
how was your shack holding up by the way??? i was lookin at it from a distance and it seemed to be holding up all right...but once the white out kicked in... we just scrambled to get everything in the truck...when we brought it down..mine went down all good..but my buddys like folded weird and on one side the rods were flexing soo much..we thought it was gonna break for sure... mine did at the start of this year at matlock..i was pretty angry..

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2009, 06:33 PM »
You could have set up closer to us if you wanted, I don't mind. My shack was OK but when the gusts came up that's the 1st time I EVER had it move. It because the wind shifted & it was blowing against the side of the shack instead of the back which means it was pushing in the same direction you'd pull it.
You should have let me know you wanted to go out further, I would have went out further for a while. Well, maybe not....we had them on the flashers almost non stop...longest was 10 min. wait. Crappy part was they were just starting to bite REAL good & some nice sized ones when the wind came up; figures.
If you want to head out Wed, let me know....would love to go again....even have some eyes saved & ready to go.

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2009, 07:34 PM »
hmmmmmm, fresh Perch cooked at halftime....YUMMMMMY!!!!
Tried that new filleting method>>>>>wicked. New concoction for coating>>>>>PRICELESS.

GO ARIZONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline MNT MIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2009, 07:42 PM »
Hey I'm glad you guys had fun! :) Nice catch too!
I'm heading out there in the morning how was it to get out 1 mile? After that wind yesterday and today I am kinda sceptical......might walk out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.