The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: white perch in the winter?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
white perch in the winter?
« on: Oct 23, 2006, 09:38 PM »
i want to try to get some white perch icefishing this year out of a lake near houlton. we got some this summer  from that lake purely by accident( trolling) then started to jig for them. we got 30 total most over 12'' and real fat!! im not that knowledgeable on white perch but does anyone know where they hang in winter? do they go shallow like the yellows do? any info is appreciated . thanks in advance.

Frozen_nutts

Re: white perch in the winter?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2006, 03:40 AM »
We used to catch'em by the bucketfull , jigging smalljigs in about 30 ft of water

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2006, 05:22 AM »
We've caught them just off bottom on tip ups in one area of a near by lake that has a large cove that is about 10 - 15 feet deep.

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2006, 06:24 AM »
Keep moving until you find the school, then you should be able to sit tight for a while and fill the bucket.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2006, 07:07 AM »
25 or 30 ft of water is a good place to start. they swim with the smelts. once you start catching them from a tipup, drill a few holes in a circle around it and start jigging. you,ll have a blast. filleted white perch deep fried is my favorete. also steve, try longfellow lake south of houlton. big perch there. i know a few others in the area also i can pm you. good luck. won,t be long.

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2006, 07:09 AM »
jig small pieces of cut bait   ;)  anywhere from 10 - 30 f.o.w.  once you get into em, it's a blast! 

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2006, 09:47 AM »
I've had better luck in deeper water.  I caught a 13 incher last year on a 5 inch shiner.  A lot of the bigger ones will go after bait that I thought was way too big for them.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2006, 09:49 PM »
thanks guys. the kids loved it. they were slamming 2 1/2in tubes after we found them. they were hanging about half way down in 38ft. your right chilly, i got a 14in. trolling w/ a 4in . red grey ghost! really wacked it! was right off the end of a rocky island where it dropped off quick from 20ft to 40 plus ft. they were on the upper edge. the lake was calm and they were rolling in towards the island also. gonna try there this winter again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.