Author Topic: Small jigs ?  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Small jigs ?
« on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:45 AM »
Was visiting a web site looking for some jigs and came across some tungsten jigs in size 12.  For those who use small sizes could you explain why you go so small.  I use 6-8 for my jigs and ice lures and no. 8 for trebles and have no problem hooking gills and crappies.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Small jigs ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:54 AM »
We have alot of lakes that get pressured hard every day.small 2mm and 3mm  on those finicky panfish.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:17 PM »
Sometimes, if I didn't have the option to downsize to something very small, I wouldn't catch anything.

Just think about how small the creatures are that bluegills and crappies eat.

Why wouldn't you try to imitate that?  I find that I often catch larger fish on smaller baits, and I think it's because they better mimic what they are actually eating.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:24 PM »
Sometimes, if I didn't have the option to downsize to something very small, I wouldn't catch anything.

Just think about how small the creatures are that bluegills and crappies eat.

Why wouldn't you try to imitate that?  I find that I often catch larger fish on smaller baits, and I think it's because they better mimic what they are actually eating.

I agree, I use a lot of small jigs as droppers off a bigger jig, works really well, and also use small jigs on there own, what and how I use depends on how the fish are reacting, it's nice to have lots of options to try.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Most of my tungsten use this year has been 4mm (#14 hook), with some 3mm (#16) and a tiny bit of 2.5mm (#18) mixed in.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2019, 02:48 PM »
All 4 mm here

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2019, 03:46 PM »
We have alot of lakes that get pressured hard every day.small 2mm and 3mm  on those finicky panfish.

This.
Was visiting a web site looking for some jigs and came across some tungsten jigs in size 12.  For those who use small sizes could you explain why you go so small.  I use 6-8 for my jigs and ice lures and no. 8 for trebles and have no problem hooking gills and crappies.

Also, you think size 12 is small, I’m pretty sure the hooks on my 2.5mm tungstens are size 18. 3mm are 16, 4mm are 14, and 5mm are 12.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:33 PM »
When I was fishing tonight the bluegills were showing interest in the tiny swivel 18" above my jig.  Just shows that they will investigate really small stuff.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:17 AM »
Yeah, swivels seem to get their attention real good. To be honest, that tiny swivel mimicks a natural food source better than 90% of the jigs, soft plastics, and live bait available as far as profile and color goes. Next time, try tying a small (size 12-16) nymph/scud or any other “buggy” looking fly to the swivel. Even a small enough plain hook would probably work just as well. Like a size 16.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.