The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Why do manufacturers not like Synthetics or Opti-2?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Why do manufacturers not like Synthetics or Opti-2?
« on: Mar 14, 2006, 09:58 PM »
Hi Guys, first time on this board. I just bought an Eskimo Mako Auger. From the Advice on this board, I went out and bought a gallon of Opti-2 for my Auger and Outboard. What I don't understand though is why Ardisam and Jiffy both dislike synthetics and OPti-2? I ran my auger for 1/2 hour on a 75:1 ratio last night, and will do so for the first few tanks, then I will run it with the 100:1 ratio. It really seemed to run smooth, seemed like it would rev forever, and definitely did not get too hot...

I asked Ardisam and they do not recommend synthetics.  ??? ??? ???

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Why do manufacturers not like Synthetics or Opti-2?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2006, 05:16 PM »
They should like sythetics, the stuff is fantastic! I dont trust 100-1 in ice augers, I go 50-1. I use AMS oil and there is a definite diference over conventional oils. My auger starts easier, smokes very little, and never fouls plugs.

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2006, 06:55 PM »
little to no research into the product they market....why should they?.....COST.....leave it up to the people who buy the product to do the research for them....plain and simple....its all about profit....(not a dirty word)....when time proven subsitutes prove successful, then you will see endorsements for the product they market......Grump

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2006, 07:35 PM »
I don't think manufacturers will recommend a product that will make a product last longer. I also think that if your auger breaks down when using an oil that they don't recommend they won't back their engine. I talked to an engineer from Amzoil and he said that if a manufacturer could prove that Amzoil caused the failure of a product and wouldn't back the warranty, Amzoil would replace it. I run synthetic mixed 100 to 1 in every two stroke that I own. with no problems.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2006, 09:56 AM »
I used Opti-2 80:1 to break my Auger in, and it ran very nice. I'll be using 100:1 next season. Can't see a reason not to.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.