The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: M18 Fuel Not Working in Cold  (Read 3816 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
M18 Fuel Not Working in Cold
« on: Jan 18, 2018, 01:27 PM »
I've been loving my M18 paired wtih my Nils auger that I got this year.  I see everyone talks about having no problem with the cold, and even leaving their drills in the car overnight in freezing temps. 

I've had two instances where my drill would stutter, almost like it's on screw mode, and wouldn't drill when I left the battery attached to the drill out in the cold.  I'm not even talking extreme cold, it was a balmy 15 and sunny out yesterday, and my 2704 didn't even have the power to unscrew an ice anchor.  Anybody have any suggestions, besides keeping the batteries toasty?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: M18 Fuel Not Working in Cold
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:22 PM »
a few reports of them not working at all when it's cold. after getting the drill warm, they start working again. so far i know of two such reports.
if you can exchange it right away. or get some thing else.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:26 PM »
I haven't had that problem with mine. I do bring the batteries in the house over night like I do with my flasher. Maybe you have a bad battery. Does it act the same way if you put a fresh battery in? Hopefully you can find the cause and report back.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Yeah, maybe so.  I always charge my batteries after every trip, and always keep my stuff in a heated room in my house until I'm ready to go.  I baby my gear.  I've got 3 of the 5.0ah batteries and I've drilled maybe 50 holes total this season between all 3 batteries, never even gonig down one light on the gauge each trip.

I'm going to bring all 3 next time and do an experiment to see if swapping the battery makes any difference.  Perhaps one of them is bum and that's the one that I coincidentally had on both times that it's happened now, who knows?  I'll report back if I can find the cause. 

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:42 PM »
I usually number my batteries for my cordless tools so I can keep track of any that might be acting up. I also work construction so my stuff gets used more. Good luck.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Of the hundreds maybe thousands of drills out there, yes there might be a lemon, just like anything else. I bet the VAST majority does not have problems, take it back and trade it in !!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:51 PM »
here's one of those reports i could find for you. it's in a thread about the same model drill is not working at all and another person saying how his won't work when it gets cold at all and needs to warm it before it will work.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=353216.msg3770205#msg3770205

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=353216.msg3770241#msg3770241

returning it is the best solution. what you get after that is your best guess. there is a lot of problems right now with that drill on this site with castings breaking being the main one. not working when cold is another one. not honoring warranty work is another one and that's a big one. switches quit working in one year and no warranty for those.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:55 PM »
here's one of those reports i could find for you. it's in a thread about the same model drill is not working at all and another person saying how his won't work when it gets cold at all and needs to warm it before it will work.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=353216.msg3770205#msg3770205

returning it is the best solution. what you get after that is your best guess. there is a lot of problems right not with that drill on this site with castings breaking being the main one. not working when cold is another one. not honoring warranty work is another one and that's a big one. switches quit working in one year and no warranty for those.
  Thanks, I may have to consider this.  Only thing that sucks for me is that I ordered it from Acme Tools and I don't have one around me, so I'd have to ship it back  :'(

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:08 PM »
probably an exchange is the best option if it was a web order to keep it simple for them.
check their policy for limitations and terms first.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:07 PM »
 there are also a ton of great reviews about that drill on this site and others.  i have both gen 1 and 2 fuel drills.  use them all summer in the shop and all winter drilling ice, very rarely less than 2ft.  gen1 is on year 5 and runs great, i leave the whole setup outside overnight and it does what i need the next day. 

i see alot of rigid stuff at yard sales but never milwaukee unless it's a jilted ex-gf getting back at her ex.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:36 PM »
here's one of those reports i could find for you. it's in a thread about the same model drill is not working at all

The story about 3 speed one again?    :whistle:

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:58 PM »
Did you by chance check the battery indicator when you were having the problem.
Did you try a different battery?
Sometimes if a tool or battery have been overloaded they will stutter.
As someone else stated number and date your batteries to help keep tray of a problem.
Could have just been a fluke.
One thing to remember, there are tens of thousands of construction works using these tools everyday in hot and cold temperatures.
Contrary to what some posters on this forum would lead you to believe, they are not dropping like fly's and their warranty is one of the better ones out there!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Did you by chance check the battery indicator when you were having the problem.
Did you try a different battery?
Sometimes if a tool or battery have been overloaded they will stutter.
As someone else stated number and date your batteries to help keep tray of a problem.
Could have just been a fluke.
One thing to remember, there are tens of thousands of construction works using these tools everyday in hot and cold temperatures.
Contrary to what some posters on this forum would lead you to believe, they are not dropping like fly's and their warranty is one of the better ones out there!

Yes, battery was full.

I did try a different battery, but the backup battery was inside my shack and warm, so I don't think it was a fair comparison.  The tool wasn't overloaded because I had it laying on my sled for 5 hours while we fished, and when I tried to unscrew the ice anchor when we were leaving, I had the issue.

I have no doubt Milwaukee is the best drill out there, perhaps I just got a dud.  Or perhaps I'm just the dud and didn't have it on the right setting?  I work in an office, so I'm no drill expert.. ???

I'll do some more experimenting and keep you guys posted.  Thank you all for your input.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Just guessing, but I'd think the battery is the more likely culprit in any drill setup exhibiting stuttering performance.  Probably something like a bad thermistor on the current regulation circuit.

Also, make sure you're not running it in third gear.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:35 PM »
I am an idiot.  ??? I had the drill in screw mode.

I left it in my car overnight and tested it today, and it started ratcheting when I went to install an ice anchor first-thing in the morning.  I looked at the selector, just to double check, and I noticed that I must have bumped it over, maybe when putting the handle on?

The drill worked fine all day when I put it in the proper mode.  SORRY FOR THE POST AND THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE.  iF YOU'RE HAVING A SIMILAR ISSUE, MAKE SURE YOUR DRILL IS IN "DRILL" MODE, IT'S THE FIRST ONE ON THE SELECTOR.  :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.