The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: POWER ICE AURGER?  (Read 10979 times)

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: POWER ICE AURGER?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 01, 2009, 06:47 PM »
I drill a ton of holes. I can guarentee you if you are like me you dont want a 10" because they are slower and they weigh more.

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Ahhhh, the annual debate over what's better, jiffy or strikemaster. :laugh:

Everyone has their own brand preferences.  Mine is Jiffy 3hp STX Pro 10".  All Metal, tears a 10" hole pretty quick.  Weighs as much as a tank, but that doesn't bother me.  I personally don't see the appeal of the lightweight augers.  I don't carry one around unless I've got the ATV out.  What turned me off to strikemaster is the extensive use of plastic.  Plastic gets brittle in the cold.  Friend of mine has a Strikemaster, a few years ago he broke one of the handles off while drilling, and also broke the throttle switch.  Immediately thought to myself, "definitely not getting that auger"

I've never seen a Nils Master in action, but I would like to.  They sound like good Reliable machines.  I would hope they don't use as much plastic crap as Strikemaster.

Good to see Eskimo isn't even in the discussion here.

Where did you find a Jiffy 3hp STX Pro???????????????? STX Pro came only in 2hp

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #32 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:16 PM »
My old Jiffy 8" 2hp just keeps goin and goin and goin and goin and goin and goin------------  :icefish:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bigred1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:20 PM »
I have a 10 inch strikemaster lazer mag, Im pretty happy with it. I broke a blade but that was my fault. I wont fish an 8 inch hole if I dont have to, I guess I got spoiled.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:24 PM »
My old Jiffy 8" 2hp just keeps goin and goin and goin and goin and goin and goin------------  :icefish:
as many jiffy owners know... ;)   ;) ;) ;)

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:44 PM »
I'm a strikemaster guy and probably always will be. I sure wish I had a good reason to get rid of my lazer for one of the new solo powered lazers. Those things are crazy fast.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Sep 01, 2009, 09:13 PM »
I'm keeping my Strikemaster Magnum III until it blows up. If you can find an older auger that runs good, by all means get that... Cheap and almost all METAL! I don't like the new plastic on the strikemasters. You can put just about any of the new auger bits on it too. I have a Lazer 224 on mine and it cuts like a champ (until you hit sand in the ice :/ )

Offline IceNomads

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOT ICE!!
« Reply #37 on: Sep 02, 2009, 03:25 PM »
StrikeMaster for ever, i prefer 10 inch even when im fishing panfish, it gives you more space to work with and when you tie into a gator, theres nothing to worry about except your line :tipup: :D ;D
 FISHIN' IS LIKE SEX, THE LESS YOU GET, THE MORE YOU LIE!!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #38 on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:56 PM »
exactly icenomad, it would be nice to battle a good fish and be worry free. too many times i have battled a fish in only to have it pink off because my whole wasn:t big enough.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Where did you find a Jiffy 3hp STX Pro???????????????? STX Pro came only in 2hp

My mistake, "Jiffy 3hp Stealth STX", not pro.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:16 PM »
I drill a ton of holes. I can guarentee you if you are like me you dont want a 10" because they are slower and they weigh more.

They are like maybe 1 second per hole slower than an 8", which is insignificant IMO, I'm not out there to race augers, I'm out to catch fish. But yeah if you walk around with a 40lb auger, it gets old.  That's why I don't walk, I let the arctic cat do that.  I drive to each hole and drill.  I didn't spend 4K on a quad to look at it while I'm dragging the auger all over the lake, gotta get my money worth.  I like to be spread out with tip-ups (my majority of fishing)  100 yds at a minimum apart, the lakes I fish don't have a lot of structure to them, just big basins.  Just the nature of the lake topo's in my area.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #41 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:17 PM »
good point tibs!!
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #42 on: Sep 03, 2009, 06:22 AM »
They are like maybe 1 second per hole slower than an 8", which is insignificant IMO, I'm not out there to race augers, I'm out to catch fish. But yeah if you walk around with a 40lb auger, it gets old.  That's why I don't walk, I let the arctic cat do that.  I drive to each hole and drill.  I didn't spend 4K on a quad to look at it while I'm dragging the auger all over the lake, gotta get my money worth.  I like to be spread out with tip-ups (my majority of fishing)  100 yds at a minimum apart, the lakes I fish don't have a lot of structure to them, just big basins.  Just the nature of the lake topo's in my area.

You lucky guys that can drive on the lake.   >:(
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #43 on: Sep 03, 2009, 07:20 AM »
never had that experience, but i gotta tell you that hearing that alone " driving vehicles on the ice"doesn:t sound too cool. i mean i see the pics and could see ice thickness but seeing a vehicle out ontop of ice is a little scary.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: Sep 03, 2009, 07:11 PM »
never had that experience, but i gotta tell you that hearing that alone " driving vehicles on the ice"doesn:t sound too cool. i mean i see the pics and could see ice thickness but seeing a vehicle out ontop of ice is a little scary.

Ah, another naysayer with driving on the ice.  I was talking about driving an ATV previously, but I've got no problem with taking my F-150 (about 2-1/2 tons of american steel) out on 12", as long as it's a solid 12"  You should see Ice Road Truckers, them guys put 50 tons on the ice and you can see it bend, I love it.  How do you think us northerners get our giant ice shacks out on the lake?  Pull them behind the truck.  I got my wife to ride out with me last year to put my permanent shack out, she was flipping out, pretty funny considering there was already 16" of ice and it wasn't really cracking a whole lot. 

If there's 6", the quad goes out, no second thoughts about it.  We usually get 6" pretty quick around here, once we get freeze over, as long as the wind is down, can be only a week before we get 6", which is why I might only use my little 6" hand auger only once a year.  Once the quad comes out, so does the 10" Jiffy.  That's why I can drive to my holes and drill them, because I'm either on the ATV, or the truck.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #45 on: Sep 05, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Ah, another naysayer with driving on the ice.  I was talking about driving an ATV previously, but I've got no problem with taking my F-150 (about 2-1/2 tons of american steel) out on 12", as long as it's a solid 12"  You should see Ice Road Truckers, them guys put 50 tons on the ice and you can see it bend, I love it.  How do you think us northerners get our giant ice shacks out on the lake?  Pull them behind the truck.  I got my wife to ride out with me last year to put my permanent shack out, she was flipping out, pretty funny considering there was already 16" of ice and it wasn't really cracking a whole lot. 

If there's 6", the quad goes out, no second thoughts about it.  We usually get 6" pretty quick around here, once we get freeze over, as long as the wind is down, can be only a week before we get 6", which is why I might only use my little 6" hand auger only once a year.  Once the quad comes out, so does the 10" Jiffy.  That's why I can drive to my holes and drill them, because I'm either on the ATV, or the truck.
now i have been on the atv, snowmobile on the ice but a 2.5 ton vehicle is a little nerve racking. i have to get out that way one day!!
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Sep 10, 2009, 07:23 PM »
Nils Master, lighter, faster, and a more efficent engine than a Strikemaster or Jiffy. Four years use on the original cutting head, perch fishing on Lake George, NY. You get what you pay for.

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Sep 10, 2009, 10:21 PM »
I have a strikmaster 2000 mag 8in
When I went 8in I asked a lot of people on this site they
mostly said 10 in was un safe for people when you were done with
the hole

I love my strikmaster and the price was right

Offline blackbeast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Sep 10, 2009, 11:40 PM »
how is a 10" hole any more dangerous then a 8" either one if you step into either size your going up to your knee at least. the only one that you might be ok with is a sixer but your still almost garentied to trip. I say go with a 10" if your going to be doing any kind of game fishing. the 10 is even nice when your using a flasher there is a place for the trans. but thats just my two shinners worth..
thats the biggest smelt i've ever seen 

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #49 on: Sep 11, 2009, 07:12 AM »
how is a 10" hole any more dangerous then a 8" either one if you step into either size your going up to your knee at least. the only one that you might be ok with is a sixer but your still almost garentied to trip. I say go with a 10" if your going to be doing any kind of game fishing. the 10 is even nice when your using a flasher there is a place for the trans. but thats just my two shinners worth..
Oh noooooo!!! The 10" hole debate Monster is back ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Sep 11, 2009, 07:22 AM »
Lets go with 12" holes!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Sep 11, 2009, 08:30 AM »
My boot won't fit through an 8" hole. I made the mistake of getting a 9" drill on my stealth and should of got an 8". I use the 6" drill most of the time and you can get big fish through even a 6" hole. Here in PA the biggest hole size should be 8".

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #52 on: Sep 11, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Lets go with 12" holes!
now thats what i could use, too many times i have lost a real nice fish at the hole because it was too small.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #53 on: Sep 11, 2009, 09:34 AM »

I can see your point Gambler. YOU Older guys should be able to drive on the Ice. ;D
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline sonar man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GILL MASTER
« Reply #54 on: Sep 11, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I most likely going with a 10in auger. falling in the hole is the least of my wherry's the lakes i fish people cut huge spearing holes and then don't mark them. that can be alot of fun going in one of them. I've been lucky so far.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Sep 11, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Oh noooooo!!! The 10" hole debate Monster is back ;D

You had to see it coming.
Last time this hole discussion took place I remember one member stating that we could all strap 2x4's to our feet. Might be a good idea.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #56 on: Sep 11, 2009, 05:42 PM »
I can see your point Gambler. YOU Older guys should be able to drive on the Ice. ;D

LMAO.... ;D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Sep 12, 2009, 06:56 AM »
it is pretty simple   get your heads outta the clouds  look where you put your feet!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Sep 12, 2009, 01:49 PM »
it is pretty simple   get your heads outta the clouds  look where you put your feet!

I guess you never went fishing when there was fresh powder on the ice. Down here if its not that cold the holes from the night before just barely skin over. A fresh coat of powder over a barely skun hole means you ain't going to see it and you'll step in it.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #59 on: Sep 12, 2009, 02:05 PM »
I guess you never went fishing when there was fresh powder on the ice. Down here if its not that cold the holes from the night before just barely skin over. A fresh coat of powder over a barely skun hole means you ain't going to see it and you'll step in it.

No difference between this and if it was a 10 acre bad patch of ice that skimmed over with fresh snow on it.  You need to watch where you're stepping, and be aware of the conditions of the lake you're on.  I've never seen a 10" hole that was snowed over that I didn't know was there.  Either it's wet, or you can see the outline of the hole in the snow.  Even if there is only 1/2" of ice on that hole, you're not going through it.  You have to stomp that hole open, I know, I do it often with my old 10" holes from day to day, rather than drill new ones.

People who go through 10" holes ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.