The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Icegator Attacker Review ........  (Read 69462 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Icegator Attacker Review ........
« Reply #30 on: Mar 07, 2009, 08:25 AM »

One thing I forgot to mention in the write up and I did with the Icegator was to add dielectric grease. I'm a big fan of dielectric grease and I added some to the charger connection port and on the battery terminals. The dielectric grease is non conductive but it does , to a point, seal out moisture and prevent corrosion.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 07, 2009, 11:53 AM »
I contacted Zues today(the guys that make the batteries) and here is what I was told....

It’s ideal operating position is upright.  These Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries can operate in alternative positions just over long periods of time can shorten the life span of the battery.  By using in a different position the electrolyte material will gather in a different location.

Thanks for the follow up Neptune !  ;)

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 07, 2009, 03:07 PM »
Just want to say that it should make no difference in what position the batteries are in to charge them.They are SEALED batteries.I have had a Gator since they were first introduced and unlike your pictured powerhead that has 2 wires connecting the 2 upright batteries, both my batteries are placed in the unit UPSIDE DOWN and no wires connecting them.The terminals sit down into individual brass pockets.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Mar 07, 2009, 05:11 PM »
Just want to say that it should make no difference in what position the batteries are in to charge them.They are SEALED batteries.I have had a Gator since they were first introduced and unlike your pictured powerhead that has 2 wires connecting the 2 upright batteries, both my batteries are placed in the unit UPSIDE DOWN and no wires connecting them.The terminals sit down into individual brass pockets.
they changed it this year as the second generation  and when I chatted with them (Greg) they made the change due to some concerns of the battery manufacture I believe      I do like the dielectric grease idea though  as I have lost the cover  lol   oh well   wonder if putting it around the buttons might help to keep moisture out of there   but then there is alot of movement
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline mobey3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • clinging to my guns and religion...and fish!!
« Reply #34 on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Thank you,
great review, answers my questions!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 08, 2009, 01:41 PM »

If it helps just one member than it was worth it.  ;)

I have one question for everyone. That was my first video in a review and I was wondering what everyone thought ? Any ideas to make it better ? I was thinking if I do any more reviews and if it is well liked I would do it again in the future.

Thanks,
Doug >))))>

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 08, 2009, 05:46 PM »
I thought the job you did on the Review was great. The content, the opinions, the pics. and the short video made for one complete and thorough review.
I guess the only other thing that you could do to make it more complete and thorough review would be to send me an Icegator demo machine free of charge of course as a keeper and I will confirm your review.....lol
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Mar 08, 2009, 05:56 PM »
I thought the job you did on the Review was great. The content, the opinions, the pics. and the short video made for one complete and thorough review.
I guess the only other thing that you could do to make it more complete and thorough review would be to send me an Icegator demo machine free of charge of course as a keeper and I will confirm your review.....lol
dont we all wish that!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 09, 2009, 02:22 PM »
Sometimes wishes come true, thanks to Ice Shanty. Doug, excellent review and video demo. Looking forward to trying one first hand, though I may have to wait til next year. Again, great job!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #39 on: Mar 09, 2009, 02:44 PM »
U R L-U-C-K-Y  ;D  Congrats.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Mar 09, 2009, 03:12 PM »
IF YOU LIVED IN NORTHERN MAINE MINE IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE TO TRY

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:29 AM »
Sometimes wishes come true, thanks to Ice Shanty. Doug, excellent review and video demo. Looking forward to trying one first hand, though I may have to wait til next year. Again, great job!

Congrats again !  :clap:
IceShanty is a great site and Icegator is a great auger. Good luck with it !   :thumbsup:

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #42 on: Mar 10, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Tried it at the NJ Derby
went through ice better than anything I've used before
you can feel the toque
great review and video Doug :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline thewalleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 11, 2009, 04:06 PM »
WOW - what a great review. We appreciate the time that must have taken you.  Lots of great information on a great product.  Here's a curveball for you tho:  I got rid of my Gator (attacker 9ah batteries) and went back to gas.   Now - I have already said this is a great product, so why would I get rid of it?  For the style of fishing I do (move around a lot) -  I just didn't find that the convenience of the electric justified the weight.  The difference between my Nils (Tanaka) and the Gator with 9's was about 9lbs.   Now I know it is lighter than some models but it is considerably heavier than some - even with the 9AH batteries.  Nearly everyone who owns a Gator seems to love it, and they don't seem to mind the weight so take what I am telling you for what it is worth.  I am not telling anyone they should own the Nils over the Gator - rather I am saying that different styles and preferences can lead to different choices for everyone.   Its hard to sound like I am not trying to start a debate here - but I am not.  My intention is to tell everyone that not EVERYONE agrees that the Gator is always the right way to go.  But I agree STRONGLY that the Gator is a very well made product with AWESOME customer service.  I have owned or used many augers - and the Gator was my second favorite.
   Again-   awesome review Lonewolf!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 11, 2009, 04:25 PM »
I won't argue with you because I have the Tanaka as well. I've had the Nils power auger before they were available in stores.
The Icegator is about 12 lbs heavier (12 ah batteries) but for the convenience of pushing a button and cutting 1 or 12 more holes with no hassle is worth it for me. Also don't forget that Greg  is going to be offering the NiMH batteries next season and that is going to cut the weight by about 9 lbs.
If I'm only adding 3 lbs for that kind of convenience then to me it's definitely worth it. 
Thanks for the kudos.  ;)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Mar 11, 2009, 04:34 PM »
If I can lug it around and use it   anybody can!

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 11, 2009, 05:12 PM »
The extra pounds is WELL worth the mess and stink you deal with using any gas powered augerl.I have had quite a few and since buying my Gator would never look back.Nothing worse than fishing beside a bunch of guys using the gas augers.Once they finally get them running it takes like forever to bore through any measurable ice.Guess if the gas augers suit your style then stick with them but after having mine for 2 years and no problems, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #47 on: Mar 11, 2009, 05:28 PM »
I won't argue with you because I have the Tanaka as well. I've had the Nils power auger before they were available in stores.
The Icegator is about 12 lbs heavier (12 ah batteries) but for the convenience of pushing a button and cutting 1 or 12 more holes with no hassle is worth it for me. Also don't forget that Greg  is going to be offering the NiMH batteries next season and that is going to cut the weight by about 9 lbs.
If I'm only adding 3 lbs for that kind of convenience then to me it's definitely worth it. 
Thanks for the kudos.  ;)

I sure like the difference in weight with the NiMH batteries.  Didn't realize that there was that much difference in weight.  I might have to look into that for my Gator.  With that said, I have never liked digital camera's with NiMH batteries in them.  Seems like they don't hold a charge as good.  I wonder if there will be any statistics on how many holes they will cut as compared to the standard 9ah battery. 
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 11, 2009, 05:50 PM »

If I can get a set early next season I will do a test. I will run it on the 12 ah SLA's and on the NiMH's and keep track of the holes.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 11, 2009, 09:36 PM »
I have never liked digital camera's with NiMH batteries in them.  Seems like they don't hold a charge as good.  I wonder if there will be any statistics on how many holes they will cut as compared to the standard 9ah battery. 

I have the Energizer rechargeable NiMH "AA" batteries for my digital camera and they don't seem to hold a charge for very long. But they are nice for quick charging. Only 15 miutes to charge them up.
jbird68

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:35 AM »
Id also be willing to test out the new batteries in the nice and cold weather of northern maine  but saving 3 lbs just doesnt seem to be financially worth it   it isnt that heavy anyway  granted Im limited in the amount I can pick up  I have not had any issues with the weight  except when plodding thru deep snow   lol   should just back a kids sled in the otter and pull it when it is that bad  lol  but Id do the same if it was gas  too

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:39 AM »
Id also be willing to test out the new batteries in the nice and cold weather of northern maine  but saving 3 lbs just doesnt seem to be financially worth it   it isnt that heavy anyway  granted Im limited in the amount I can pick up  I have not had any issues with the weight  except when plodding thru deep snow   lol   should just back a kids sled in the otter and pull it when it is that bad  lol  but Id do the same if it was gas  too

You wouldn't be saving 3 lbs. According to Greg the NiMH batteries would be 9 lbs lighter than the 12 ah batteries.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:41 AM »
sorry miss read that post  sorry   but Im still happy with the weight at the current configuration!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:51 AM »

I'm not complaining about the weight either but if I can save 9 lbs and if Greg can get the price down on the NiMH's to a reasonable amount I'd get them.
They would supposedly be lighter, have a longer life span and have more sustained power.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #54 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:38 AM »

I'm not complaining about the weight either but if I can save 9 lbs and if Greg can get the price down on the NiMH's to a reasonable amount I'd get them.
They would supposedly be lighter, have a longer life span and have more sustained power.

Not to argue - but I wouldn't bet on the NiMH batteries having a longer "life span" than well cared for sealed lead-acid types.  I'd say they are close to equal.  The big catch here is "well cared for".  JMO
AND, I plan on owning one them by next ice season; and if the NiMH batteries are available, it'll be with those; and, if a 10" model is available, it'll be that one.  ;D  The thought of no gasoline and a lot less noise is very appealing.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Mar 12, 2009, 06:50 PM »

Just out of curiosity I decided to weigh the Nils with the Tanaka and the Nils with the Attacker.
I weighed myself on the bath scale and then again holding the Tanaka/Nils. I then subtracted the difference.
I again weighed myself and then holding the Attacker/Nils. I then subtracted the difference.
( I know not real scientific but it will give an approximate weight difference )

Tanaka/Nils = 23 lbs
Attacker/Nils (12 ah batteries) = 35 lbs

So if the NiMH batteries reduce the weight by 9 lbs that would bring the Attacker/Nils weight to 26 lbs.

For all the Pro's of the Icegator and at only 3 lbs more than the gas engine .. you decide.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #56 on: Mar 17, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Only three extra pounds,  that's pretty good.  Once more guys start using those batteries,  the prices should come down drastically.  There is got to be some performance data on-line to see how they compare with regular closed cell acid batteires,  and if they require a different charger/charing cylce.  I'm sure the NiMh batteries come with a specialized charger,  like my trolling battery did.  Use a regular one and it would kill it.  I still like my 10" Eskimo Shark,  but getting gas on my fingers while priming the cargurator was always a pain...
J.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Oct 11, 2009, 12:26 AM »
Lightweight batteries?   Still waiting.....and waiting.....and waiting.....and....... .
How much (when/if) they become available?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:18 PM »

I'll be posting all the details within the next two weeks.  ;)

Offline crappie_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:47 PM »
I would like to hear more about the really cold weather performance of one. I do not currently have a portable shanty or a home built for that matter, and I do most of my fishing sitting on a four wheeler. The auger would spend all day in anywhere from -15 to 10 deg f. I move alot and will drill 30-40 holes (getting sick of hand cranking :P). Would the batteries freeze in these temps ???.
Every man is perceived a wise man, until they speak

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.