Author Topic: Jiggin for perch in a thick weedy bottom lake  (Read 1422 times)

Offline icefishingOhionut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiggin for perch in a thick weedy bottom lake
« on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:36 PM »
Whats the best way to jig for perch that are in a thick weedy bottom?   I have found if your jiggin about the weedy bottom you will get some perch, and if you drop your jig in the weeds and jiggin them up out of weeds you score more perch.   What is a good jig to use or lures to use to get them big momma perch out of the weeds?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Jiggin for perch in a thick weedy bottom lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Here's what I do, I drop a big swedish pimple to the bottom and pull up some of the weeds. This stirs up the mud on the bottom and clears a small spot under your icefishing hole. This attracts the fish. I then put on a hali-jig tipped with spikes. this really works well for me.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Jiggin for perch in a thick weedy bottom lake
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Here's what I do, I drop a big swedish pimple to the bottom and pull up some of the weeds. This stirs up the mud on the bottom and clears a small spot under your icefishing hole. This attracts the fish. I then put on a hali-jig tipped with spikes. this really works well for me.

Same idea here... I just smack the bottom with a big depth bomb until junk starts showing up on my flasher screen. I use those Swedish Pimples with wings... I am drawing a blank on the name. Add a "chandelier" of waxies to the treble of a minnow head. It works great on the Mille Lacs bays. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.