The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Shelburne Bay  (Read 1351 times)

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shelburne Bay
« on: Mar 19, 2017, 12:15 PM »
The was bay completely frozen and people are ice fishing out by the point. 4-6" of ice and caught around 60 really small perch. Didn't keep a single one.

Offline Yeti

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Shelburne Bay
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 08:55 AM »
That has to be very frustrating.  I can empathize with you, because I had the same kind of day at Lake Iroquois.   I didn't catch 60 perch, so you had it worse than me.  Shelburne bay used to be the go to place for smelt, when I was kid growing up here.  Is it still a good smelt fishing or have the Alewives driven them out?

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 11:04 AM »
wait.... I was just on the bay last week and it was  just barely skimmed over!

Offline Honest_John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2017, 02:49 PM »
Is the entire bay frozen? Could you fish off Red Rocks?

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2017, 04:32 PM »
I haven't caught smelt there since 2008. A couple years ago we put down a camera and there was still a ton of alewives at the bottom and they were eating them. The trout and salmon are huge from it though.

Is the entire bay frozen? Could you fish off Red Rocks?

Don't know about redrocks, but I was fishing off Allen Hill, right where the smelt use to be. There was 4-5 others out there too.

Offline Yeti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2017, 06:53 PM »
Thank you vtcountrychamp for your reply.  Terrible to hear the smelt population has been decimated by the Alewives.  I have great memories of fishing for smelt in the winter on Shelburne Bay.  Having my mother cook them along with stewed tomatoes, mashed potatoes and fresh baked bread from Goldman's bakery in the Old North End.  I wanted to catch and cook a batch for my father before he passed away.  It was his favorite winter meal on a freezing cold Vermont night.  He would eat the leftovers cold, the next morning.  Along with his plate of cold fried smelt, he would have a cold baked beans sandwich.  I love smelt, but I can't do that for breakfast. :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.