The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Caspian  (Read 17111 times)

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Caspian
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2017, 01:22 PM »
Yes, that was us in Frabill.  Went back early today and got 3 jigging a white tube, all under 18".  Only had 2 flags all morning.  Will be back later this week, not many days of trout left.

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:30 PM »
Hope to make it back up there later in the week myself.....work schedule permitting.....What size tube jigs are you using? Also, lost a pair of black Clam neoprene gloves somewhere in my travels, let me know if you see 'em!

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 07, 2017, 06:29 AM »
I've heard of putting Powerbait in the tube jigs. That might help get them to bite on a slow day if the Smelt Rite isn't doing the trick.

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:13 AM »
3" white tube jigs are what I'm getting most on.  Also use smelt rite, not sure if that helps or not but can't hurt.

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 07, 2017, 08:27 AM »
Went out with my buddy yesterday around 2pm to a spot where I've had success the last 3 outings. Ice was about 15" and groaning alllll afternoon. Only marked 3 or 4 fish on the finder, and nothing was chasing. A lot less action than my last few times - but it was a beautiful afternoon!

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #35 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:01 AM »
On Sunday, they chased my leach flutter spoon quite a bit.... basted in smelt rite.... still no takers.
Chasing Ice

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 07, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Just got an order of Leech Flutter Spoons delivered yesterday.  Will try those tomorrow afternoon but white tube works pretty good.  Good luck everyone in the last week of trout season.

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 07, 2017, 04:01 PM »
I learned a couple of tricks this season for Caspian lakers that chase but won't commit:

1.  Be ready.  The first drop is often the best, so don't miss this opportunity.  Plan for it and have everything ready the first time you drop your lure down the hole.

2.  Keep things moving.  When a fish shows up on your flasher, keep your lure moving - jig it, twitch it, reel it - but don't let it sit still.  If the fish gets a real good look at your lure, it's likely going to be game over.   

3. Have presentation options.  Have several rods rigged up and ready to go.  If a fish follows but won't commit, reel up and quickly drop another lure down.  This can work well if you are fishing with a buddy.  Sometimes the change in lures is enough to make them bite.

4.  Fish the drop.  Try a lighter flutter spoon or flutter spoon and tube combination.  Let the rig free fall erratically to the bottom.   

5. Fish the bottom.  With the spoon and tube combination, if you don't get bit on the drop, let the whole rig sit on the bottom, then lift and drop the spoon just enough (5-6 inches) to keep the tube in place.  Fish will hit the tube twitching on the bottom. 

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 07, 2017, 05:32 PM »
Caspian is one of the lakes ive always wanted to fish, never got the chance. Until now, headed down early early Friday morning to fish for the day.

Obviously going to take care in our adventures down there, what with the warm weather and all. Hopefully we can get on the fish.

Any bad areas to avoid? Pressure cracks and what not?

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Those leech flutter spoons became my favorite lure early in the season.....I caught a lot of fish on the rainbow pattern and it got so beat up the treble only has two points now, the paint is all scratched up, and there isn't much left of the feathered trailer. Still haven't nabbed a laker on it, but they chased the heck out of it on Friday.

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 07, 2017, 08:13 PM »
How's the open water fishing on caspian?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Mar 08, 2017, 05:43 AM »
How's the pressure been there?  I'm a laker chaser myself and will go after them anywhere and was considering this as an option for Sunday.  However, it's not a huge lake so if it's been getting busy I'll go somewhere else.  Big thing with a school of lakers in a lake that size..the law of diminishing returns becomes evident rather quickly.

Anyone have an idea on what the average sized laker is there?

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:41 AM »
No pressure cracks that I've seen, obviously areas where brooks dump in would be avoided but it had 15" solid ice 2 days ago.  A fair amount of fishing activity on Monday but not tons.  Average laker there 15"-20".  Heading up this afternoon.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:50 AM »
Average laker there 15"-20".

I would tend to agree with this average ... I was going to say something like 18-20".  We tend to catch a lot of them that are just barely under the 18" limit with the occasional 20-24"er.  Of course, then there is JMailbox's 40"er that screws up the whole bell curve!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:44 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. 

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #45 on: Mar 08, 2017, 08:12 AM »
Caspian is one of the lakes ive always wanted to fish, never got the chance. Until now, headed down early early Friday morning to fish for the day.

Obviously going to take care in our adventures down there, what with the warm weather and all. Hopefully we can get on the fish.

Any bad areas to avoid? Pressure cracks and what not?

As of Sunday nothing to worry about.... AS OF SUNDAY. I did not see any pressure cracks.
HOWEVER.... Watch for a large "hole" if you venture out on the reef toward the north end. A popup camper bobhouse was blown off its blocks, then froze back into the ice on its tongue and frame. The owners worked very hard on Sunday to chop it out and did so in short order :). We stopped and offered to help, but they were all set. After they got it out, it left a pretty large hole in the ice, big enough to swallow a wheeler.
The bobhouse was on top of one of the humps toward the west side of the reef.
Chasing Ice

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Thanks, appreciate the info.

Hopefully we can get on some lakers. Either way should be a good time!

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 09, 2017, 05:35 AM »
Just a heads up, there was a ton of water on Caspian yesterday afternoon and old holes were whirlpools and getting bigger.  There's also a pressure crack on the north side of Birch, just an FYI.  Be safe!

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:36 AM »
Thanks, it's not too far a drive, so if we get there and don't like the look of things, we will just go to the hill farmstead brewery instead!

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 09, 2017, 04:22 PM »
Think I'm heading up in the early am, will post conditions tomorrow when I return.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 09, 2017, 10:28 PM »
Thanks, it's not too far a drive, so if we get there and don't like the look of things, we will just go to the hill farmstead brewery instead!
Good backup plan.  The tasting is worth the drive!

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 10, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Good backup plan.  The tasting is worth the drive!

Unless it is Saturday, then turn around and leave. I stopped by before fishing the afternoon on Caspian, and I was 50th in line to get my growlers filled. Just to get a taste was at least 30 people. I promptly went to Willey's, got a tall boy of Labatt, and headed out.

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 10, 2017, 09:16 AM »
I don't get the big attraction to these micro beers?
I think most people go nuts over them just because it's cool.
Most of the ones I've tried smell like a crapty diaper and are flat.
Maybe it's just me?

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 10, 2017, 09:28 AM »
I think the 'unavailability' is definitely a part of it. But now, the market is so oversaturated with microbreweries, some on par with The Alchemist and HF, that it doesn't really matter anymore. When I started college in 2004, Long Trail and Magic Hat were considered microbreweries. Now they look like massive conglomerates. I'm pretty sick of seeing 80% of the 'nicer' beers in stores and restaurants being IPAs. I do like them, but I like lots of other beers as well. I'd like to see some more variation in what people make rather than stuffing in as many hops as they can. The Alchemist used to have an excellent selection at the brewpub in Waterbury, but now they brew 4 IPAs. It would be great to see some of their older beers make a comeback (Donovan's Red specifically..). /endrant

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Mar 10, 2017, 10:45 AM »
In the words of Uncle Rob, there are two types of beer... Budweiser, and free! :)

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 10, 2017, 10:55 AM »
I better bow out of this thread....I've never caught a laker, and I love the micro's, including every IPA and PA HillFarmstead I've tried. 

Offline Honest_John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Mar 10, 2017, 12:16 PM »
I better bow out of this thread....I've never caught a laker, and I love the micro's, including every IPA and PA HillFarmstead I've tried.

I'm with you, Pete. One of the world's finest breweries right there in Greensboro.

Offline Fish Hard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 10, 2017, 12:45 PM »
I'll take the free Budweiser!!!

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Mar 10, 2017, 01:17 PM »
Jeeze, didn't think I'd start a beer war! Still on caspian, caught a 20" laker so far.

And still gonna go to hill farm stead. Don't get me wrong I like Budweiser and the like, and too many breweries and just "putting all the hops they can" into a beer, but I do enjoy a good beer, regardless of if its domestic, imported, home brew, big beer complies, doesn't matter. Good beer is good beer.

(Also my first iced laker)

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 10, 2017, 01:28 PM »
Nice work! Don't get me wrong, their beers are delicious. I just like variety.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.