Author Topic: Ion Blades  (Read 950 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ion Blades
« on: Mar 25, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Has anyone found a way to sharpen Ion blades. I tried but didn't know how to keep the angle where it needed to be so it just spun on the ice. I wrote to the manufacturer and they said they are not meant to be sharpened however they look like an Eskimo hand auger blades.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Dark Wing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ion Blades
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2017, 07:54 PM »

I found this pic somewhere on this site. Shows you the proper way to sharpen your blades. I ruined a set of blades by sharpening the wrong side. Did you sharpen both sides or the side that makes contact with the ice. The side that makes contact with needs to maintain a burr , the beveled side is the side you sharpen.

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Don't know if it helps, but fish307 will sharpen them.  Came out well for me.
I love clipboard man

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2017, 12:47 PM »
I'd recommend buying a new set.  I've had them sharpened and it costs about $25 and they won't last like new blades do and the new 8 inch blades are on sale right now for $35.  I just bought two new sets so I can have a back up.  Also be conscious of sand on the ice.  The blades are chinese made and don't stand up to anything abrasive.  I ruined two pairs the last two weeks ice fishing since the snow melted and refroze sand into the ice.

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/augers/ion-8-replacement-blades?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=CLDQtuOe99ICFcOIswodctEGGw
westernmas on the finder

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2017, 01:41 PM »
that's crazy, I've always knocked off the burr with a 6000 grit stone and it still cuts fine.  I am surprised it says that, but maybe it can hurt it?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2017, 01:43 PM »
Also be conscious of sand on the ice.  The blades are chinese made and don't stand up to anything abrasive.

Fact.
My blades look perfect but they no longer cut like they use to, do to abrasives in the ice.

Offline wildlifer100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2017, 08:04 PM »
I use a "speedy sharp" sharpener on my nils master and strike master Mora.  Just match the angle and go.     Www.speedysharp.com/Applications.aspx

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2017, 08:49 PM »
You should be able to sharpen them like any Mora blade...

<°)))>{

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2017, 09:32 PM »
have never used a speedy sharp but im guessing it will ruin my Ion blades faster than drilling them into concrete....

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2017, 12:58 AM »
I've used a surface grinder on the flat side of my Ion blades....cut like new until I hit something in the ice. Was mid weekend so I just used a fine stone to sharpen the edge again and it cuts like new...blades are 4 years old and still original. I cant see a burr on either side of the edge helping at all.....

Offline Quazzy02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2017, 06:27 AM »
I have used www.iceaugers.com he does an excellent job and is reasonable on price. I wrapped my blades in a paper towel and mailed them in a padded envelope. They came back razor sharp within a week.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2017, 10:33 AM »
I have used www.iceaugers.com he does an excellent job and is reasonable on price. I wrapped my blades in a paper towel and mailed them in a padded envelope. They came back razor sharp within a week.

What is reasonable priced?  Brand new blades are $35.  I can't see it costing much less than $25 not much does these days.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2017, 06:07 PM »
the problem I have had with the blades is not that they are dull but they got bumped and it changed the pitch of the blades
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.