Author Topic: fishing tales!!!  (Read 1379 times)

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
fishing tales!!!
« on: Jan 30, 2006, 03:55 PM »
What is the craziest or best fishing story you have to offer and where did it take place. Remember all fishing stories are the truth...hahaha

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Re: fishing tales!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:50 PM »
My most embarrassing ice fishing story took place on a cold Feb. day 2 winters ago.
I had been out early, ice fishing, with no luck, and was getting hungry, so I packed up all my gear and threw it in the back of the truck and headed for the lodge.
 While I was having my dinner the owner of the lodge came up to me and asked if I had caught any fish today?  I said, "no, it was a slow day".  He replied, "oh, I wonder why the stray cats are in your truck then"? And then it hit me, I had left the smelts on my hooks in the back of the truck. I ran out, and found 4 cats in the back of the truck. All of them jumped out but one, it was just taking the last bite and became hooked in the process. Oh No!.
I was unsure what to do. I decided to try and take the barbless hook out of the now frantic feline. He came flying out of the truck dragging my rod in tow. I carefully caught the rod and tried to bring the cat in. It was leeping nearly 3 feet into the air, spinning, spitting and clawing. I reeled it in the best I could. I finally had it close enough to grab with a glove covered hand and the darn line broke. Man I could not believe it, this was a 4lb cat, and it had broke 20lb line and a 20lb steel leader. Well, the cat ran off under the deck of the lodge, and no matter what I did, I could not get it out. On it's first clear opening the cat bolted and ran for the hills. I followed it, as best I could, but it was way too fast for me and left me behind.  My last image was of the little black cat flying across the open field. I asked lodge owner why there were so many cats around and he told me that some folks that come on holiday for the summer just dumped their pets at the resort and left without them. He said that there were 8 or 9 cats around and 5 or 6 dogs. I asked him that if he ever saw the cat again would he help it, if he could?  He assured me he would.
I am an animal lover and it really distressed me to have that happen. To this day I still think about the poor cat.
I am passing this waring to all of you to be careful where you leave your hooks and bait, you never know who may show up. ::)

WW  

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2006, 05:24 PM »
Hey WW- like the picture at the bottom lol...But I was just wondering if that fish was registered...actually it looks short like a "Saturday night special",if so, then it is a prohibited fish.  ::)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2006, 05:11 PM »
He he thanks Tombo. I think that fish is defiantly undersized but may be one of those swiss army type of fish, with all the tools needed for the job.
:woot:

WW

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:20 PM »
Anyone else have a fishing tale to tell? ;D

WW

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2006, 12:07 AM »
Great story WW.
3 winters ago my dad, my 2 grandfathers and I took a late March trip for some trophy pike.  The weather was awesome, and the big pike were hitting like mad.  My one grandfather forgot his tip ups, so all he had to fish with was 2 ultralight rod/reel combos, which were worth around $50 a piece.  Anyways, it was mid afternoon and I was releasing a fish about 50 yards away from grandpa when I heard something skipping across the ice.  Now another thing I forgot to mention is that old gramps doesn't hear so well anymore.  Anyways, as I turned to see what was going on, I saw grandpa facing the opposite diection from me, taking a leak.  Right behind him was his rod sliding across the ice towards his hole as a fish was running with it.  I was yelling at him, but he couldn't hear me because he was farting while he was pissing.  I started to run towards the hole, and I dove at the last second and just missed the rod, as it went down the hole.  Just then grandpa zipped up and turned around to see me on my stomach on the ice at his feet.  "What the hell are you doing?"  he asked.  I told him what happened, and it made for some good laughs that night. 
Gotta love taking those old fellas fishing.  Always good for some laughs.

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2006, 05:18 PM »
I once was out icefishing alone on a lake where I have my Cabin.  I had my dog with me.  I drilled my hole and and hooked my bait onto my hook, set it on the ice and walk away a few feet to pee.  When I finished peeing,  I turned around and grabbed my rod and started looking for the hook, but couldn't find it right away.  I then lifted up the fishing rod and followed my line all the way to my dogs mouth who was sitting lickin her lips!  "Oh crap!" I said. I ran upto her and yelled for her to open her mouth.  As it turned out the hook was caught just on the outside of her lip.  I was able to free the hook quite easily, but my friggin dog chewed and swalled the minnow! Talk about one lucky dog!
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.