Author Topic: Snow On Early Ice Is A No No  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snow On Early Ice Is A No No
« on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:15 AM »
When the ice starts forming on a lake and you get a significant amount of snow,it can be very dangerous.Lets take Mt.Summit for example,there are a few coves that got safe 3 days ago,then 2 nights ago all the open water around the coves took a base of ice,and now we're gonna get snow on top of all of it,if you dont know where that good ice was it could be a dangerous trip,at that it insulates the ice and dosent freeze as quick.I know you have the fever and wanna get out,just know the body of water you are fishing,I know for a fact Mt Summit will be very dangerous if it gets snow covered,if it could of waited to snow for 4 more days we could of got out in some deeper water,my point is be careful and dont go by yourself,hope to see some of ya out on the ice here real soon,

Jimmy Lang

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snow On Early Ice Is A No No
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:30 AM »
You said it!! Most all of Summit was open water Monday. Be VERY carfull out there. Paul

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:44 AM »
If I remember right it did this stuff last year, get some good ice and then dump a bunch of snow on it. Messes it all up.

Offline frozennut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:55 AM »
You said it!! Most all of Summit was open water Monday. Be VERY carfull out there. Paul

Paul it is your cousine Robert or whatever I am, I am ready to get out on the ice so let me know when your going!!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2005, 11:44 AM »
"whatever" Now thats a way to describe ya. Hey check your IM. I'm ready as soon as the ice is. Paul

Offline jlc_hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spam America's New fad diet
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2005, 12:54 PM »
Yeah this is really gonna screw things up! but I am sure that we will get some more cold later anyway
jlc
I use the 80/20 rule you need 80% of the tackle to catch 20% of the fish

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2005, 12:59 PM »
When the ice starts forming on a lake and you get a significant amount of snow,it can be very dangerous.Lets take Mt.Summit for example,there are a few coves that got safe 3 days ago,then 2 nights ago all the open water around the coves took a base of ice,and now we're gonna get snow on top of all of it,if you dont know where that good ice was it could be a dangerous trip,at that it insulates the ice and dosent freeze as quick.I know you have the fever and wanna get out,just know the body of water you are fishing,I know for a fact Mt Summit will be very dangerous if it gets snow covered,if it could of waited to snow for 4 more days we could of got out in some deeper water,my point is be careful and dont go by yourself,hope to see some of ya out on the ice here real soon,

Jimmy Lang

that happened to me last year.  we had about 3 inches of solid ice, then it dumped about 8 inches of snow on top of it.  it took weeks of freezing temps to make safe ice.  a buddy and myself went out, it was alittle scary to say the least, we had to stay shallow, the further you went out, the more unstable the ice became.  i hope that doesnt happen again this year
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2005, 03:28 PM »
they are calling for more snow thursday, that Stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline Pitcherbeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2005, 03:31 PM »
3-6 inches of the white stuff across central Indiana. This could be somewhat of a good thing and a bad thing since the highs next week are going to be in the mid-30's. Maybe it will prevent the ice from melting, but at the same time, it will prevent any new ice from forming. Any thoughts on this? Hopefully we will have a solid 3-4 inches of ice before the snow hits tomorrow.
Women want me, fish fear me!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.