Author Topic: Boga/lip grip  (Read 3314 times)

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Boga/lip grip
« on: Sep 12, 2006, 06:55 PM »
right now cabelas has these on sale by both Berkley and rapala. i like the looks of the pocket size model by Berkley. is there any problem using the the little pocket model for larger fish or does it work for any size ??? thanks.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Boga/lip grip
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2006, 12:55 PM »
It will work on any size fish,  the only restriction you might have is the thickness of the ice.  If ice is a foot and half thick, it will be hard to juggle your rod and the grip while trying to get to the fish.  Also consider freeze up on the unit if it gets wet at all.
MASON

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2006, 01:44 PM »
It will work on any size fish,  the only restriction you might have is the thickness of the ice.  If ice is a foot and half thick, it will be hard to juggle your rod and the grip while trying to get to the fish.  Also consider freeze up on the unit if it gets wet at all.
what does the thickness of the ice have to do with how the gripper works ???

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2006, 01:49 PM »
what does the thickness of the ice have to do with how the gripper works ???

most people use the gripper to get a handle on the fish to bring it up through the hole, really once the fish is started up the hole its not a big deal, but trying to grab it while its still under 18+" of ice it would be tough to grab it and hold tension on the line :-\

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:00 PM »
so arch, are you saying that a longer one would be a better bet? i'm not worried about getting my hand/arm wet to get the fish. just thought that the little one would be nice since you could just stick it in your pocket and not have to worry about forgetting it somewere else when you have a fish on. i would think that if it froze up then you just worked it a little it would break up the ice.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:15 PM »
oh ok , i never saw anyone stick their arm in to get a fish before it is in the hole :o, that would be hard around here average  is about 30". i bring them up the hole to the surface then grab them 8)

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:28 PM »
sorry if i was unclear, i immagine that it would be tough to get ahold of the fish through any thickness. i do get the fish into the hole first, but once they have their head sort of in i prefer having a firm grip as soon as i can instead of just the hook and line. i have had enough fish get away or cause problems once they are started up, so i go with this now. boy i'm just wondering how hard it would be to grab a fish that's still under the ice, chasing it around and all under there :D.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:55 PM »
sorry if i was unclear, i immagine that it would be tough to get ahold of the fish through any thickness. i do get the fish into the hole first, but once they have their head sort of in i prefer having a firm grip as soon as i can instead of just the hook and line. i have had enough fish get away or cause problems once they are started up, so i go with this now. boy i'm just wondering how hard it would be to grab a fish that's still under the ice, chasing it around and all under there :D.

A foot of ice or less isn't bad.....a foot or more is a P.I.T.A....and then some..Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

camo_fish

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2006, 08:25 PM »
If you have the $$$ I'd get the "boga" and not the Rapala or Berkley brands, I've heard the lesser cost ones may open up on ya and you could loss the fish.

Offline jrsue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2006, 01:39 PM »
"""""If you have the $$$ I'd get the "boga" and not the Rapala or Berkley brands, I've heard the lesser cost ones may open up on ya and you could loss the fish."""""

Who told you that , a salesman ??? Guess there may be some real cheapos out there but the berkley works perfect...I use the berkley grip, have for years, works just as good as the boga and cost about 20 bucks, and would never go ice fishing without it. When fish's head is at the hole, slip the jaws in its mouth , release the trigger and pull it out. I can catch  pike all day long and never touch one of them, no slime no wet hands, and it holds them tite when removing the hooks. When you wanna release it drop tail down the hole and pull the trigger. A must have for fish with teeth.

Regarding the pocket berkley grip. I have one but usually grab for the bigger one. The trigger on the small one is a little tougher to operate, it works but I prefer the standard size. I use them for open water walleye fishing all summer long on lake erie. nothing is easier than griping the walleye while in the net, pull him out, remove hooks, measure it or weight it, take pic, put in live well or throw it back, all while never having to touch the fish.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:42 PM »
Boga / lip grips? Are they legal in every in any state?  ???  ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.