Author Topic: Fireline???  (Read 2636 times)

Offline CNY Farmer

• IceShanty Rookie
Fireline???
« on: Sep 07, 2006, 07:47 AM »
I was thinking of trying this on one of my ice rods..fish for panfish most of the time but there are a few places that have walleyes... Would this be better for the bigger fish ???what size would be best ??? Thanks for any help  8)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fireline???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2006, 09:50 AM »
I find mono much easier to work with both summer and winter.
I do however use powerpro or fireline and make leaders for my
tip-ups to help prevent biteoffs. For mono I like Tectan Premium
Plus and P-Line Fluroclear. :)

Offline Pat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2006, 07:42 PM »
I use 6# or 8# depends on which rods i'm using. The area I fish has a mix of fish so that is why the higher numbers. If I was only going after pans I would go down a few pounds.

:)

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
Fireline??? Hell ya!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2006, 11:51 PM »
I use 10/4 Fireline year round, walleye, pike, burbot, white fish, perch.
I love it, trolling, jigging, slip bobbing, spoons.

dwayne

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2006, 07:38 AM »
Fireline is great on a jigging rod as long as it is above freezing where you are.  In sub-freezing weather it is difficult to work with since it sucks in so much water.  So if you fish in a heated shanty I would say it would be great.  If you jig in the elements, I would suggest fluorocarbon.  I find maxima fluoro to be great in the smaller weight sizes.

hali-man

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2006, 08:54 AM »
In sub-freezing weather it is difficult to work with since it sucks in so much water.

Fireline freezes like a twig on the end of your rod.
I tried it once, and once only.

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2006, 10:19 PM »
I would try it. The stuff is so strong. And super sensitive. You'd be surprised how much more  you can feel with it...

Im gonna rig up a rod with some of their new stuff this year. Its a clear braid (and considering how small the diameter is, it should be nearly invisible to the fish....) "crystal" http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod.php?k=57195&sk=57194&u=FL300CY

I will probably try it on my rapala rod, and see how I like it from there.The stuff isnt to much fun if your tying a bunch of knots, and although the zero stretch is nice for sensitivity, it might be a little harder to fish with when the bite is really light.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I personally think that braid is too difficult to work with in freezing temps but if I wereto use braid it would be PowerPro. I think its even stronger than fireline.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2006, 01:55 PM »
Im a braid user all year round, althought it is usually set up on my heaver ice rods. In summer I perfer powerpro, but on the ice I use fireline, powerpro seems to pick up more water then fire line, not to mention when using a aguavu camera the baby blue colour of powerpro shows up so bright I would think it was very visible to the fish

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2006, 07:56 PM »

stopped by the scheele's sporting goods store in lincoln, ne. yesterday. they have the new CLEAR FIRELINE in stock. from what i could see the line appeared to be WHITE. but then i was indoors under artificial lights not in the sunlight and i didn't have my favorite lake handy to see how it appears under water. it also runs about a buck per spool higher. hope this helps.

fred baumann

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Just got tipped off on using P-Line CXX in moss green.
2# and 4#.
Ordered some up. We'll see how it works out this season.

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline bigmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2006, 02:32 PM »
I have been using Fireline Crystal in our clear water lakes for bass fishing and have not had any problems.  I have caught plenty of fish on it, and I like the smaller diameter of the line.

If you pull it off the spool and hold it against your hand it is very close to clear, but it does appear white on the spool.
New to ice fishing, but stuck with no ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.