Author Topic: Coleman 5000 BTU catalytic heater  (Read 15165 times)

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
Coleman 5000 BTU catalytic heater
« on: Nov 25, 2018, 11:25 PM »
Was in the market for a propane heater for my flip over shack. My dad told me he picked up a heater at a rummage sale awhile back and I could take it when I came home for thanksgiving. Well, this thing is way different than anything I have ever seen. I traveled back home to Montana today and figured I would see if this old heater had any life left in it. I did a little research online and filled it with camp fuel. Followed the instructions on the heater and it actually worked. My question is will this heater work well for the flip over or am I still in the market for a propane heater. Does anybody have any experience with these old catalytic heaters? Pros and cons please.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Coleman 5000 BTU catalytic heater
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2018, 04:39 AM »
Was in the market for a propane heater for my flip over shack. My dad told me he picked up a heater at a rummage sale awhile back and I could take it when I came home for thanksgiving. Well, this thing is way different than anything I have ever seen. I traveled back home to Montana today and figured I would see if this old heater had any life left in it. I did a little research online and filled it with camp fuel. Followed the instructions on the heater and it actually worked. My question is will this heater work well for the flip over or am I still in the market for a propane heater. Does anybody have any experience with these old catalytic heaters? Pros and cons please.

Does it look like this?

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2018, 05:20 AM »
I have one of those like Iceassin shows. It stays in the shed at home after one time out. The fumes were TERRIBLE. Go with a Mr. Heater Buddy/Big Buddy instead.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2018, 05:44 AM »
If it is...

Pros: Price was right (free)
        Smaller than the "Buddy" type heaters
        A fairly stable base

Cons: Is 5000 btu warm enough? All depends how cold it is. But for a 1-man flip...probably good enough.
         It is liquid fuel...more combustible than propane...extra caution required.
         Fuel is expensive...around $20 a gallon. However, when I was using the old lanterns that used this type of fuel, I would use "premium" unleaded gasoline and never had any issues. White gas (Coleman fuel) and
         premium gas are very close in terms of refinement. Now this becomes a "pro" seeings premium gas is much cheaper to use and more convenient to get.

Bottom line...if it were me...I'd give it a shot. You got nothing to lose at this point. Good luck.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:22 AM »
I run them still.they hold about a gallon of fuel which is expensive these days but run 3 days.so cost about the same as running propane.take a while to light out in the wind.i just turn it upside so it gets a puddle of fuel on the outside,light it and it will flame for awhile.when flame goes out it should be lit.i have 20 or so various btu Coleman heaters.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:26 AM »
I run them still.they hold about a gallon of fuel which is expensive these days but run 3 days.so cost about the same as running propane.take a while to light out in the wind.i just turn it upside so it gets a puddle of fuel on the outside,light it and it will flame for awhile.when flame goes out it should be lit.i have 20 or so various btu Coleman heaters.

Doc...have you tried premium gas? It does work well.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:35 AM »
Doc...have you tried premium gas? It does work well.
everytime i put gas in my coleman daul fuel lanterns it clogs the generators.it burns real dirty compared to white gas.im a self taught Coleman repair tech and stay away from running gas in them.ive got a hell of a collection of laterns,heaters and stoves.over 60 Coleman lanterns.lol

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:44 AM »
everytime i put gas in my coleman daul fuel lanterns it clogs the generators.it burns real dirty compared to white gas.im a self taught Coleman repair tech and stay away from running gas in them.ive got a hell of a collection of laterns,heaters and stoves.over 60 Coleman lanterns.lol

Hmmm... I must have just been lucky, but I did use one of those funnels with the filter in it...don't if it helped or not. Like I said, I may have just been lucky. Sending PM by the way.   ;)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:52 AM »

Ever tried a Petromax Lantern? They are amazing and beat the Coleman hands down. They are also multi-fuel.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:07 AM »
Ever tried a Petromax Lantern? They are amazing and beat the Coleman hands down. They are also multi-fuel.
no.im a coleman collector so i just use what i have..i rarely even use lanterns anymore with the led lights out these days.but cant beat a lantern fishing for specks at night.heat and light!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:11 AM »
no.im a coleman collector so i just use what i have..i rarely even use lanterns anymore with the led lights out these days.but cant beat a lantern fishing for specks at night.heat and light!

:) I remember fishing outside at night on a lake in Minnesota when I was a poor kid in high school. It was -40 and VERY windy. The issue was that we were catching fish. We would bring them up and they would flop 2x before freezing.

The only thing keeping up warm was a 2 mantle Coleman lantern and it was so cold we put our bare hands directly on the glass -- and it was only warm.

Those were the days...glad to have the funds to have a shanty, heater, etc. and make things a bit more comfy.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:21 AM »
:) I remember fishing outside at night on a lake in Minnesota when I was a poor kid in high school. It was -40 and VERY windy. The issue was that we were catching fish. We would bring them up and they would flop 2x before freezing.

The only thing keeping up warm was a 2 mantle Coleman lantern and it was so cold we put our bare hands directly on the glass -- and it was only warm.

Those were the days...glad to have the funds to have a shanty, heater, etc. and make things a bit more comfy.
right on!here in Michigan lantern boxes were popular and i still have a bunch.sit on the box and stay warm with the hand slot and a hole up front so the lanterns light would shine by the hole.area in the back away from the lantern to throw fish into..loved the old days.now i sit in a heated shack with led light bar watching a bunch of blinking lights on my vexilar.lol

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:54 AM »
I have one of those like Iceassin shows. It stays in the shed at home after one time out. The fumes were TERRIBLE. Go with a Mr. Heater Buddy/Big Buddy instead.
exactly. cleaner and much safer and cheaper to operate. i have several different versions of it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:03 AM »
I still have one like that in my garage. I used it combined with a cable splicer's tent for ice fishing. It helped me stay warm, but the fumes were terrible and they made my eyes sting after a  while. I would get a propane heater if you can afford one.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:55 AM »
Even though your petromax May say multi fuel I would not use anything but kerosene. They are soldered together at the pressure joints and known to catch fire or worse. Pretty much all of them in the US are knock offs.

They are nice to look at and pretty cool with the jet blast pre heater and alcohol tray, but the Coleman is a better lantern.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:13 AM »
Even though your petromax May say multi fuel I would not use anything but kerosene. They are soldered together at the pressure joints and known to catch fire or worse. Pretty much all of them in the US are knock offs.

They are nice to look at and pretty cool with the jet blast pre heater and alcohol tray, but the Coleman is a better lantern.

I think mine were Swiss military and not a knock-off. I like Kerosene better than Gasoline - much safer.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Just grab one of these http://www.mrheater.com/little-buddy-heater.html
perfect for a 1 man, keep it covered when not in use and keep it clean
Low o2 and tip over shut off, burns clean, super light

Catchin' Fish

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Yes the propane buddy heater are the latest trend in heaters but mine have been a pain in my a$$ sometimes and wont lite when its really cold out.both my little buddy and portable buddy heaters.that coleman heater will do what it’s supposed to do.just vent your shelter properly.my eyes dont burn,no headaches for me and i run one in a 1 man flip.just because it a older heater and everyone gets on the latest and greatest deal.it shouldnt keep you from trying it out..jmo

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Yes the propane buddy heater are the latest trend in heaters but mine have been a pain in my a$$ sometimes and wont lite when its really cold out.both my little buddy and portable buddy heaters.that coleman heater will do what it’s supposed to do.just vent your shelter properly.my eyes dont burn,no headaches for me and i run one in a 1 man flip.just because it a older heater and everyone gets on the latest and greatest deal.it shouldnt keep you from trying it out..jmo

Yup...just cause they're new doesn't make  them improved.

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Does it look like this?

.                                                        Yes, it it very similar to that, mine may be a few years older, the lid is a lighter green with a flatter top. That was one of qualities I liked about mine it has a perfect lid for heating up a can a soup

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:03 AM »
This one?this is the adjustable btu model but come in 5000btu also.work great!

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2018, 04:45 PM »
That is the one.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2018, 09:19 AM »
This one?this is the adjustable btu model but come in 5000btu also.work great!

I've had one of those since 1973 when I bought it off a co-worker for 5 bucks.  It works fine in my Clam Scout and unlike someone mentioned, I've never had a problem with fumes.  I also have a Mr. Buddy but prefer the Coleman as its lighter even with a full fuel tank and works all day and more off that tank.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:42 PM »
does it flame that much every time you light it? thats insane, how do you light it in a shack? if outside, how do you light it in the wind? how long does it take to heat up?

I've had the little buddy tank top listed above....if you keep it clean it works fine, let it get dirty and you run into all kinds of problems. I use this now https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/mr-heater-15-000-btu-silver-single-tank-top-heater-cooker/0000000070339 super light, always works, tons of heat

Catchin' Fish

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:49 PM »
does it flame that much every time you light it? thats insane, how do you light it in a shack? if outside, how do you light it in the wind? how long does it take to heat up?

I've had the little buddy tank top listed above....if you keep it clean it works fine, let it get dirty and you run into all kinds of problems. I use this now https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/mr-heater-15-000-btu-silver-single-tank-top-heater-cooker/0000000070339 super light, always works, tons of heat
tip it upside down till it gets a little fuel up top,light it,it will flame for 5 minutes  or so.i leave it outside till flame goes out.when flame is out it should be drawing fuel out of the tank up to the wick.takes about 10 minutes to heat up to max btu.coleman heaters are built to last, some of mine are from the 60s.dont think buddy heaters will last that long.jmo.i just wish coleman fuel was still 2$ a gallon.these heaters will run 3 days on a fill up.that would be 6 cans of propane for me on all day fishing trips.id rather fill these dinosaur coleman heaters up.comes out about the same price between 6 propane 1lbers and a gallon of white gas.just because its a old heater design theres no reason to outcast it.its still just heat at the end of the day..like all heaters leave the window cracked open or door unzipped a little.that guy in the vid put way too much fuel on top anyways.i tip it upside down till I see a quarter size spot of fuel on top then lite it.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2018, 01:43 PM »
I used to run one of them sunflower heaters in my smelt shack. Ran well with the 1#ers, but went through them like a house on fire...then to get rid of them. So I went to mounting it on top of a 20# tank. Sometimes it worked...sometimes not. Big tanks aren't as refined as the littles. I just quit using it. Both ways was a big hassle. Big reason I'm not going with the Buddy's either.

As Doc said, Colemans might be old, but they're bullet-proof. I did use a lantern back in the day, but on those bitter cold days and nights, it just wasn't enough. Which is why I switched to the above.

Now I'm going back to the Colemans. Found a guy who has a few I'm going to look at at tomorrow. I'd much rather pay a little extra in fuel, have it last all day, pretty much worry free and get the same amount of heat as any of the "new and improved".

Sometimes old school needs to live on.

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2018, 11:29 PM »
Thanks for all the input. All I can do is try it. My flip over is a 3 man so It might take a little more btu than the little Coleman can put out but it is worth a shot. I also have a Coleman white gas lantern that might help a little if I run them both. The fuel was 12 bucks a gallon at the local runnings but if it is as efficient as I have heard it is still cheaper than a 20lb bottle of propane. The way I see it nothing can be worse than last season fishing on a 5 gallon buck at -20 lol. Can’t wait to start the season.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2018, 02:23 AM »
Thanks for all the input. All I can do is try it. My flip over is a 3 man so It might take a little more btu than the little Coleman can put out but it is worth a shot. I also have a Coleman white gas lantern that might help a little if I run them both. The fuel was 12 bucks a gallon at the local runnings but if it is as efficient as I have heard it is still cheaper than a 20lb bottle of propane. The way I see it nothing can be worse than last season fishing on a 5 gallon buck at -20 lol. Can’t wait to start the season.

This should put you in the ballpark:

https://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html?roomwidth=3&roomwidthunit=feet&roomlength=5&roomlengthunit=feet&ceilingheight=5&ceilingheightunit=feet&insulation=poor&temperature=60&temperatureunit=f&calctype=heat&x=124&y=17

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Well I went out fishing all day yesterday with the Coleman heater. My shack is just too big for for the little heater. Had it burning for 6 hours, both vents open in the shack. I had no issues with fumes or headaches, the heater itself performed very well and did not use much fuel. It worked great for warming up a can of Campbell’s chunky soup. The heater took the chill out but it was 32 degrees outside with a mild wind so I am sure it will not keep up when it is -20 outside. This is kind of unfortunate since this heater is super reliable and efficient. I think I am going to hold hold on to it for when I get an insulated 1 man flip over.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Glad to here you liked it...sad it wasn't up to the task. I fired mine up for the first time the other day and was happy as well. Biggest difference? I'll be using it in a Shappell wind break which isn't  near the space you were trying to heat so should be ok. I too like the efficiency and ease of use...and I'm a nostalgia kind of guy. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.