Author Topic: Smitty sled ?  (Read 6200 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Smitty sled ?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 14, 2018, 04:51 PM »
So, got the skis, lumber, hardware and rope and quite possibly roof felt for cross braces ( anti-slide for shanty tub ). One last question...how important is it to counter sink wood screws when attaching skis to risers? Very?...somewhat?...not at all?   :-\

Very.... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 14, 2018, 05:00 PM »
X2 on the very,  the screws will catch if not counter sunk

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #32 on: Nov 14, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Thank you gentlemen  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #33 on: Nov 14, 2018, 06:15 PM »
Very:)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2018, 05:26 AM »
one thing you might find when drilling through the skis and trying to c'sink them. Many skis are 2 thin pieces of hard material sandwiching a thicker foam core. When you try to c'sink the first layer it might just make a larger hole, it'll be more like a counter bored hole. It did with mine. It still worked fine but instead of a flat head screw counter sunk to the first layer I used a panhead screw

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2018, 05:40 AM »
one thing you might find when drilling through the skis and trying to c'sink them. Many skis are 2 thin pieces of hard material sandwiching a thicker foam core. When you try to c'sink the first layer it might just make a larger hole, it'll be more like a counter bored hole. It did with mine. It still worked fine but instead of a flat head screw counter sunk to the first layer I used a panhead screw

Thanks Spider...good to know.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Nov 15, 2018, 06:01 AM »
If your using something like galvanized deck screws you can usually drill a small hole and when you screw the screw in it usually sets its self low enough.   ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Nov 15, 2018, 06:35 AM »
I would counter sink and put some silicone over them if I was going to make a new one. If they stick out at all they could get broken or bent.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:31 AM »
So, got the skis, lumber, hardware and rope and quite possibly roof felt for cross braces ( anti-slide for shanty tub ). One last question...how important is it to counter sink wood screws when attaching skis to risers? Very?...somewhat?...not at all?   :-\

Counter sinking is important if they hang below the ski will produce drag etc...just use a size or two up from your wood screw diameter to drill out the hole a bit ...also I but my eye screws/bolts on my risers ..if you put them on your cross braces they my lift out of the risers going over rough terrain/deep snow .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10:01 AM »

Counter sinking is important if they hang below the ski will produce drag etc...just use a size or two up from your wood screw diameter to drill out the hole a bit ...also I but my eye screws/bolts on my risers ..if you put them on your cross braces they my lift out of the risers going over rough terrain/deep snow .

Got it...thanks HD

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 15, 2018, 12:29 PM »
My son made this for me. Certainly helped in dragging out all the gear I do onto Chautauqua Lake, NY

Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 18, 2018, 03:49 PM »
I used 1/2" plywood for the risers on my most recent Smitty Sled.

jbird68

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #42 on: Nov 24, 2018, 12:08 PM »
I just finished my first Smitty sled build last night, and it took some doing to get the screws countersunk.  I started with just using a larger diameter bit, but I didn’t want to go too deep. 

So I ended up buying a countersinking bit for my drill, but that maybe wasn’t working too well because it took forever to clear out enough space.  And a couple of the screws STILL stuck up a bit.  So I filed them down with my dremmel and it’s good to go, smooth as a baby’s butt.

Can’t wait to try it tomorrow on the ice!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Nov 24, 2018, 12:58 PM »
I just finished my first Smitty sled build last night, and it took some doing to get the screws countersunk.  I started with just using a larger diameter bit, but I didn’t want to go too deep. 

So I ended up buying a countersinking bit for my drill, but that maybe wasn’t working too well because it took forever to clear out enough space.  And a couple of the screws STILL stuck up a bit.  So I filed them down with my dremmel and it’s good to go, smooth as a baby’s butt.

Can’t wait to try it tomorrow on the ice!

Good to see you got the bindings off BABM...now the fun begins.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #44 on: Nov 24, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Good to see you got the bindings off BABM...now the fun begins.
Yep, finally removed the thin plastic cover and could access the screws.  Thanks again for the tips!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Nov 24, 2018, 03:27 PM »
Yep, finally removed the thin plastic cover and could access the screws.  Thanks again for the tips!

:thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.