The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Milwaukee Side Handle and Lock Washer  (Read 2923 times)

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
Milwaukee Side Handle and Lock Washer
« on: Apr 09, 2018, 08:11 AM »
Purchased a Milwaukee Fuel 18v drill (model 2703). To help prevent the side handle from loosening, I've read tips to use either split lock or internal tooth lock washers. Anyone else have feedback on using these or nord-lock washers to keep that handle tight?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Milwaukee Side Handle and Lock Washer
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2018, 10:14 AM »
that drill casing has been cracking by using the included aux. handle. it put two people in the hospital that we know of this season so far.

can you get your money back? some have returned theirs and went with their mud mixer option instead.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2018, 10:34 AM »
Another option,does cost more money, is to get a clam plate and just eliminate the side handle.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2018, 10:55 AM »
that drill casing has been cracking by using the included aux. handle. it put two people in the hospital that we know of this season so far.

can you get your money back? some have returned theirs and went with their mud mixer option instead.

While a couple folks have had some unfortunate issues, they seem to be an extreme minority compared to plenty of reviews/videos out there of this setup being reliable and holding up to multiple seasons of use. It's possible they had defective models, incorrectly installed or used their setups, or some other factor resulted in those outliers.
I'm not sure how else to explain why it works great for some and not for others.

Another option,does cost more money, is to get a clam plate and just eliminate the side handle.

I looked into that but until a version is released that allows for quickly swapping between an auger and ice anchor adapter, it's not my first choice. I had the same thoughts when researching the mud mixer but that option had its own cons (extra cost, no other use for me, seems to require some machine work to make it work).

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2018, 11:15 AM »
i would consider a lock-tight and lock washers. once lock-tight is used it's always taking up some of the clearance with-in the threads. i would use the green or blue version.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2018, 01:01 PM »
.         This is what I did, keeps up off the ice also

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2018, 02:42 PM »

I looked into that but until a version is released that allows for quickly swapping between an auger and ice anchor adapter, it's not my first choice.

You might think I am coming out of left field, but IMO neither those special ice anchors nor the adapter are  necessary. I have done quite a lot of camping and use the same idea on those 'pop-up" tents. A fairly big lag bolt----say 8"----driven in a 45 deg angle works just fine. I just need a fairly light duty drill for the lag bolts. Mine is a Bosch 18 V but in just weighs a pound or 2. Maybe you have a suitable 1 already?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Well, I don't use a handle on my Milwaukee at all.  That's with an 8" Nils.  Don't see the need, never had any issues.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Do you have a Clam plate? If not, how do you protect your arms and wrist from injury>
Keep yer stick on the ice!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Hang on.  Place my arm, hand and drill against my body/leg and hold it.  Don't seem to have any trouble at all.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I believe most of the issues with the injuries and handles are occurring with the use of Lazer style drill units ...they can really bite/bind up at times on the last several inches of ice .My buddy makes it a habit of checking the handle on his Milwaukee between holes...he is also using a 6 inch Kdrill...no binding .My first drill/auger set up was with a 6 in SM Lazer and a Dewalt 771 ....in 6-8 inches of ice ...I got a wrenched wrist on several occasions before that drill burnt up ...my next set was a Clam plate and  Dewalt 995 w/6 in Lazer...now its a new style Clam plate ...8 in Kdrill and my 995.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2018, 10:16 AM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=359176.msg3845951#msg3845951
the man was using a 6" nils and side/aux handle. so it's not the bite at the end of the cut being the problem. it's the handle breaking the casting.
 this season was the worst for the problem. some speculate a casting issue. some have had theirs replaced 2 times because of it breaking. some buy the plate and some buy the mud mixer to avoid injury.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=351027.0

another one was in the general chit chat section this early season. that one also put the man in the ER and out of work.

Fishmon

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2018, 11:53 AM »
Just add a lock washer and problem goes away.  Been using it for 2 seasons now and new had a problem with handle loosening or casing breaking.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2018, 12:28 PM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=359176.msg3845951#msg3845951
the man was using a 6" nils and side/aux handle. so it's not the bite at the end of the cut being the problem. it's the handle breaking the casting.
 this season was the worst for the problem. some speculate a casting issue. some have had theirs replaced 2 times because of it breaking. some buy the plate and some buy the mud mixer to avoid injury.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=351027.0

another one was in the general chit chat section this early season. that one also put the man in the ER and out of work.

The handles come a little loose, then the casting is easy to break - that is the issue.  I'll be giving the lockwasher a try next season - aleady put it on the handle.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2018, 01:11 PM »
Not sure how anybody under 7ft would run a drill extension with a MKE using just the handle. My KD with extension and Clam Plate is pushing 5.5' tall. If that handle broke while using an extension, that could kill a dude.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Not sure how anybody under 7ft would run a drill extension with a MKE using just the handle. My KD with extension and Clam Plate is pushing 5.5' tall. If that handle broke while using an extension, that could kill a dude.

my exact set up for late ice.  i'm 6'4" and have never feared for my life.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 10:49 PM »
You might think I am coming out of left field, but IMO neither those special ice anchors nor the adapter are  necessary. I have done quite a lot of camping and use the same idea on those 'pop-up" tents. A fairly big lag bolt----say 8"----driven in a 45 deg angle works just fine. I just need a fairly light duty drill for the lag bolts. Mine is a Bosch 18 V but in just weighs a pound or 2. Maybe you have a suitable 1 already?

A little off topic, but I do something similar. I got a little 8v drill off the clearance rack at Menard's (about $9) and use it exclusively for the ice anchor adapter for my pop up. It takes up very little room in my sled and I don't care if it gets wrecked or burns up. It has literally saved the day in windy conditions. You could try something similar if you decide to go for the mud mixer.

I myself ended up going with an Ion after seeing the pictures of the injuries this year. I grew up learning to use the right tool for the job to get the job done right, and the reality is none of the drills on the market were designed to use a bit 6"+ to cut through anything, let alone 30" of ice.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 06:06 PM »
 another option for ice anchors is an old hand crank drill and bit.  bore a pilot hole and screw in your anchor.  go to a couple yard sales or pawn shops and you'll probably find one for a couple bucks.  works great and the battery never dies until you do.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 06:22 PM »
Purchased a Milwaukee Fuel 18v drill (model 2703). To help prevent the side handle from loosening, I've read tips to use either split lock or internal tooth lock washers. Anyone else have feedback on using these or nord-lock washers to keep that handle tight?

You might want to return that drill (2703) and wait for the newer model (2803) due out end of July. It looks to have a much better auxiliary arm which wraps around the housing more. (looks like they copied  Makita)

Leave Some For Seed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.