Author Topic: Lake Erie guide recommendations  (Read 2981 times)

Offline DFP

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Erie guide recommendations
« on: Feb 10, 2018, 03:28 PM »
I am located in central Iowa.  May be coming to  Buffalo NY in the near future.  Since I'm traveling by Lake Erie, thought it might be interesting to check on ice fishing opportunities on Lake Erie for a day or two.  Looking for guide recommendations.

Offline 78bluestreak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Erie guide recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:08 AM »
take a look at Ohio Game Fishing community site for details.  good Lake Erie forum. 
there is fishing in the South Bass Island area.  Fly in to the island, stay over night.
nothing leaving from the shoreline.  warm temps and wind took that away weeks ago. 
short season for shoreline fisherman.
warm temps today and through the weekend (40-60 degrees with rain).
safe travels.

Offline Erieguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Guess you missed that we and many others have fished the mainland from Catawba since Friday ?? Excellent perch fishing in 20-21 ft and very good walleye in 24 ft of water  . ice ranged from 5-9 inches where we were . the crack close to shore opened up about 2 feet yesterday on the way in . Warm weather , wind , and rain is on its way so i'm done. it was a very good weekend out there though .   

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:48 PM »
I was just out the last 5 days. We had a great season. After coming off the ice today the islands will be the only game in town. We looked for the perch for the last 2 days with no luck. That is cool u guys got them. We did find the walleye getting all of ours the last 2 days. Mark :tipup:

Offline Zap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:56 AM »
Sounds like the Lake s getting sketchy with the warmup.
I would highly recommend looking into guides for the Lower Niagara river of you may be heading to Buffalo. That lower river has some monster fish in it. Big steelhead, browns, and lots of big Lake trout. Most guides up there are around 180.00 a day, plus tip. They fish from boats and drift the shorelines. Sometimes they will head out to the mouth of the lake, ( ontario ). I have used Frank Cambell a few times and highly recommend him.

Offline DFP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Thanks guys for your info and help.  This was actually an unexpected trip.  Was going to Buffalo for a funeral and just kind of had an after thought of trying to put together a quick 1 or 2 day ice fishing trip.   I will do some checking probably for a future trip.  Sounds like an interesting experience.  We've done open water charters in the past .  Thanks again.

Offline Corey9965

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2018, 12:59 PM »
I am a guide for Ice Man Guide Service. We fish the areas around South Bass Island for walleyes and perch. Look us up on Facebook for info and updates.
We had a wonderful season this year, albeit a little short. But after 2 years of no ice, we’ll take what we can get. Lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.