Author Topic: Hummingbird Helix 5  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Mooncat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hummingbird Helix 5
« on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Was able to just buy a complete Helix 5 G2 set up. It's not an ice fishing setup. Wondering what I all need to get this set up for ice fishing. I realize a ice ducer, but can I put this on cheaper set up then buying the whole ice pack from Hummingbird? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul in Palmyra, Nebraska

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hummingbird Helix 5
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2018, 01:51 PM »
Tagged, wondering the same thing!

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Check out this thread. https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/lets-see-your-diy-helix-shuttle/

I just bought a Helix 5 CHIRP DI GPSw/Navionics  G2 from Bass Pro last night, $400.
Then I bought a Marcum Lithium shuttle from FishUSA on sale for $210 shipped. The last piece of the puzzle was the Humminbird Xi-9-1521 Ice Transducer from Hodges Marine for $72(backordered).

If you don't have a CHIRP unit you'll need a different transducer. YouTube user Spilt Milk has a good video with part numbers including the non-CHIRP ducer. 
Lots of guys use the blue Vexilar boxes too.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:04 PM »
I have a helix 5 g2 that I use on my kayak that I now also use for ice fishing that I really love and it works out great.  It is really fun to watch them come in.  I had a extra transducer, that was made to fit a kayak scupper hole that I wasn't using.  I took a plano plastic ammo box, 50 cal size, and modified it so everything for the helix fits inside. I mounted the 9ah battery in the bottom on one end, partitioned it off with plywood and foam so it wouldn't move.  Then I coil all the extra power cord and transducer cord in the bottom next to the battery. I cut out some 5" thick foam to fit the helix unit and the ram mount to protect them and keep them from moving. I mounted an aluminum strap on top of the ammo box, cut a small notch in the end for the transducer cord.  The arm swings out and gives me lots of options to position the helix.  I zip tied a small spring clamp so I can hold the transducer at the desired depth, flush with the bottom of the hole. I drill a fishing hole beside the transducer hole so I don't have to keep pulling out the transducer every time I get a fish. I also mounted a ram mount on top of the ammo box since I also use another ram mount on my kayak.  I went ahead and also bought an extra power cord so when I move the unit back to the kayak all I have to move is the helix and battery.

Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.