Author Topic: Jason Mitchell Ice Fishing Reel?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Jason Mitchell Ice Fishing Reel?
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Been looking for another reel and stumbled across this one. I liked the idea of the push button flip down handle and the larger spool. Anyone use one?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jason Mitchell Ice Fishing Reel?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:10 PM »
I bought one this season and really like it. Besides the folding handle, I also like the larger spool. If needed, I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:32 PM »
I bought one this season and really like it. Besides the folding handle, I also like the larger spool. If needed, I would not hesitate to buy another one.

What size would you say it is, compared  to a Shimano.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:29 PM »
What size would you say it is, compared  to a Shimano.

It's about the same size as the Sienna 500. I have it on a 24" rod and it balances it well.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:26 PM »
jason who? never heard of the guy

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:47 PM »
It's about the same size as the Sienna 500. I have it on a 24" rod and it balances it well.

Sounds good,  for 30$ it's worth a try.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Im not familiar with the j.m. reel. but will vouch for a reel with a very smooth drag, 6 ball bearings and the press button handle collapse for $20 it's an absolute steal. Check the link, it came on my automatic fisherman combo and I transferred the reel my go-to wallet rod because it is so smooth and has absolute anti reverse and easily collapses for putting in a rod case.

https://automaticfisherman.com/store/#!/%E2%80%8BThe-AF104-reel/p/55424060/category=15414117

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:16 PM »
I'm sorry Its only 4bb. I confused the bearing count with the ever solid ht accucast reels I also highly recommend but that doesnt have the push button collapse and are a bit closer to the $30 price tag of the Jason mitchel

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:35 PM »
I'm sorry Its only 4bb. I confused the bearing count with the ever solid ht accucast reels I also highly recommend but that doesnt have the push button collapse and are a bit closer to the $30 price tag of the Jason mitchel

Yah the folding handle, larger spool, and 6 ball bearings on the JM was everything i was looking for. Im sure the grease/oil job in it is crap, so ill pull it apart when it comes in.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Best of luck with it! Always nice when you can find a sweet smooth reel that feels good in the hand for $30 or less!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Yah the folding handle, larger spool, and 6 ball bearings on the JM was everything i was looking for. Im sure the grease/oil job in it is crap, so ill pull it apart when it comes in.

I had mine out in below zero wind chill and it worked flawlessly.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2018, 01:31 AM »
It is the same reel that is used on the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick Combos. I started running a couple of these this season and have nothing but good things to say about them. I also got a couple of the meat stick combos and really like that rod. the two pair together really nicely.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:02 AM »
Glad to hear guys like them. I ordered two for my St Croix Rods.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2018, 09:17 AM »
So they came in and im not overly impressed. I know they are only 30$ but for a few bucks more you can get much better made pflueger president.

Biggest issue i had was with the line lay. Its very uneven and bottom heavy. Both reels were the same way, so its clearly a design issue. Which is pretty sad considering its such an easy thing to spot and fix in testing/production.  I will need to fabricate some shims to lower the spool to resolve that issue. Since it didnt come with any.

I took the drag cap off and there was something rattling around in it. I assume the nut thats used to tighten it onto the spool shaft.. The paint or plastic decal on the knob was cheap and poorly applied and will peel/chip off easily.

There was also a Vaseline like grease in random places. On the spool, rotor, handle, and the line roller was covered in it. Had to clean it up with rubbing alcohol so it wouldn't get all over my line.

The Bail wire is also very thin and cheap. Ill have to be careful where i put the rod so it doesn't get bent.

Ill put them to the test on the ice shortly to try out their performance. Hopefully its better than the initial impression.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2018, 09:41 AM »
I fixed the line lay issue by shaving the stock shim in half. It now lays line perfectly even.

My curiosity got the better of me, so i tore the whole reel apart. There was very little grease and found quite a bit a small metal shavings from the assembly process. I cleaned out all the grease, cleaned out all the bearings, and lubed/oiled it back up and reassembled. It definitely feels alot smoother now.

I pulled the line roller apart as well to see what was in there. In short, nothing.. No bearing, not even a bushing. Just the line roller sitting on the plastic sleeve that the screw screws into to hold it together.  It wasnt even the right fit as there was alot of play. I put a small black dot on the roller so i could see how well it turned under load. This was very disappointing. Even under load my line would simply slide over the roller. Every once in a while the roller would skip a little, but it should be turning the whole time. This will lead to more line twist in the line without a roller helping the line onto the spool.

If i could go back in time, I wouldnt buy these reels. Maybe for 10$, but certainly not 30$...

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Sounds like a rebranded $10 reel. Not surprised.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:09 PM »
Sounds like a rebranded $10 reel. Not surprised.

Indeed.. Especially when you handle the Pflueger President reels that are only about 15$ more. There is NO comparison. But i wanted a reel with a larger spool in the smaller size with a flip up handle for storage. I was looking at the Daiwa Tournament SS700 and may still go that route depending on how these JM reels feel.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Indeed.. Especially when you handle the Pflueger President reels that are only about 15$ more. There is NO comparison. But i wanted a reel with a larger spool in the smaller size with a flip up handle for storage. I was looking at the Daiwa Tournament SS700 and may still go that route depending on how these JM reels feel.
X2
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.