Author Topic: not fishing topics...  (Read 2570 times)

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
not fishing topics...
« on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:57 PM »
I know I know not fishing related but trying to do some research from fellow outdoors people.

I really want to do some metal detecting her pin say with my daughters and would also like to look for fossils and Dino bones.... trying to put together a cool collection for them for the years ahead.  just hoping for some general info that I can follow up on.

appreciate it

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: not fishing topics...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:29 PM »
When our boys were small we often walked shoreline on Lake Diefenbaker looking for treasures. Sometimes under steep eroded banks there were chunks of petrified wood and occasionally fossils of Creteous era marine critters. They showed up clearly in the wet gravel and stones right at the waterline. This was usually in the stretch between the Elbow and Sk Landing.  Good clean fun.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:34 PM »
 just a thought, we used to find quite a few arrow heads as a kid with my grandpa.  i think we used to walk freshly worked fields.  also have a perfectly round rock with a groove wore around it that we found.  must have been for bashing something!  maybe try panning some gold in the  nsr?

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:45 AM »
That's a good one Ranger. I recall reading about the mini-gold rush on the river. A google search for 'gold north Saskatchewan river' has a half dozen sites to look at.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:02 PM »
I know a few people who have found some tiny specks of gold in the rivers.  Lots of work to get anything mind you
Have prob a dozen of those rocks you mentioned ranger. they are pretty cool
Sk does have lots of history when you start to do a bit of research. I found some 1905-1915 silvers right in our garden

Offline ybone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Things I will suggest. Alternates.
1. Geocaching. Super fun way to go for a long exciting walk anywhere with young ones. Start from your doorstep.
2. Rock and gem collecting. Yah you gotta buy them but they are not expensive and going into a store or show has lots to keep you busy for a while.
3. Gold panning NSR. Hard work, low success, but exciting when you find some. ( no you aint gettin rich)
4. Eastend area of the province. A little exploring and collecting plus Scotty. Camp at Pine Cree. Super cool little campground.
5. Day trip to Crooked trees. Hafford area.
6. Get landowner permission and hike a part of the Bone Trail.
7. Sand dunes Good Spirit Lake.
8. Metal detecting beaches and old farm yards. Again permission first. Old wells , wasp and hornet nests and landowners who don't share your zeal.
9. Build some bird houses.
10. Plant trees. Come back years later and admire them.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:58 PM »
nice list

crossed a few off.

tell me more about the bone trail...

I want a purple Martin house

Plant trees every year

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:04 PM »
 my boss used to have a subscription to 'purple martin monthly', what do you want to know?

and no, i'm not kidding.

Offline ybone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:37 PM »
 Bone trail *2 actually. Have a look at the Herschel area for fossils https://royalsaskmuseum.ca/trex/education/blog/paradise-found or follow the pioneers and find relics from the day https://stbarbebaker.wordpress.com/2016/10/18/old-bone-trail/ Both really awesome. And really different.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:55 PM »
 just another idea - youtube recommended some videos of guys magnet fishing.  the vids i saw guys were fishing old wells and pulled out guns, coins, traps...all sorts of stuff.  just imagine the treasures you'd pull out from under the diefenbaker bridge!

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:28 PM »
When our boys were small we often walked shoreline on Lake Diefenbaker looking for treasures. Sometimes under steep eroded banks there were chunks of petrified wood and occasionally fossils of Creteous era marine critters. They showed up clearly in the wet gravel and stones right at the waterline. This was usually in the stretch between the Elbow and Sk Landing.  Good clean fun.

This is gold mine, big fill is a great area as well as Ford's Coulee. Spent countless hours exactly in the area Andy spoke of with my sons, nieces and nephews.

Arrowheads, axe heads etc are abound ant as well.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:15 PM »
just another idea - youtube recommended some videos of guys magnet fishing.  the vids i saw guys were fishing old wells and pulled out guns, coins, traps...all sorts of stuff.  just imagine the treasures you'd pull out from under the diefenbaker bridge!

Funny you mentioned that. I saw a vid like that and ordered a couple of heavy duty magnets last year hhahahhaa

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:59 PM »
 great minds think alike  :tipup:

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:17 PM »
great minds think alike  :tipup:

crazy ones also lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum