The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Catching lake smelts  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Ohiocatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always a bigger fish
Catching lake smelts
« on: Dec 06, 2017, 04:12 PM »
Interested in snagging some bait while out on the water without a trap or dip net. Does anybody have a preferred bait or lure that actually hooks smelt? Any advice to point me in the right direction would be great. I've had bait schools 8-10' thick on the sonar and have not been able to find the right fly or lure to get them interested. Thanks in advance  :icefish:

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Catching lake smelts
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Usually a Hali jig with a chain does the most damage for me when I’m smelt jigging. I cut a tiny piece of sucker/shiner/smelt (believe it or not smelt works the best) to tip the tiny hook. Helps quite a bit to have a spring bob on your jiggin rod.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2017, 06:00 PM »
I’ve wanted to do the same thing for a couple years, but I’ve yet to be able to locate them in waters that are supposed to have them. I tied my own rig that has three small hooks above a tungsten glo jig that I am hoping to have luck with. They are the only fish we are allowed to use multiple baited hooks for, from what I’ve read they aren’t picky as long as there’s some flash or meat on the hook.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2017, 06:24 PM »
I’ve wanted to do the same thing for a couple years, but I’ve yet to be able to locate them in waters that are supposed to have them.

Wish I could give you a depth or type of structure to focus on but in my experience it varies a ton by the lake. I can say that as the ice season progresses I catch them in less water (in most lakes). Sometimes I end up jigging in 2 fow. That said, in my favorite lake to jig for em, they’re pretty deep consistently.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2017, 07:44 PM »
we get them on halis and teardrop jigs. ul rod with light line. bigger lakes usually get them around 30ft of water near a deeper drop off. shallow lakes near a brook or river dumping in. good luck!

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:54 AM »
In my experience, the most important thing is to have a very small piece of bait on, I’ve used just small snelled hooks and caught them, but a small glow jig or the real small Swedish pimples. I prefer the small Swedish pimples because now and then you’ll jig up larger fish.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:04 AM »
In my experience, the most important thing is to have a very small piece of bait on, I’ve used just small snelled hooks and caught them, but a small glow jig or the real small Swedish pimples. I prefer the small Swedish pimples because now and then you’ll jig up larger fish.

Same goes for a hali jig. My buddy had a salmon grab a Hali jig last year, on a very light set up. Lost the fish at the hole, but it was crazy on 2lb test.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Small jig with a piece of white yarn works great the Smelt teeth get caught in the yarn.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:40 PM »
A lot of good advice here. The one thing I might add is when there is a school several feet thick like you mentioned... I try to target the ones higher in the water column. Quicker to bring them up/set back down and IMO they bite better cause there is less confusion, they are separated from the school slightly. But yeah, hali sukula tipped with cut smelt.
It must be something in the water.

Offline mainefishpig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:10 PM »
I have always had good luck with smelts when it gets dark at the end of the day, by  useing a car light hook up in my ice shack.  They like to come in under the shack in schools,  then use small tunksten jigs with a small peace of bait.  They usually come in within a half hour. HOPEFULLY THEY WILL BIGHT THEN.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:54 AM »
or very early morning. ;)

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2017, 09:16 AM »
Yup- hali jig for sure.  The bigger and flashier the better.  I use a piece of cut worm or maggot.  If their isn't any bait-good luck.  Use a light rod and as other people mentioned, be ready for big fish.  I usually use 4lb test on the hali, just because I catch a lot of other things jigging smelt.  Last year I hooked a 22" togue in 60 fow on a hali jig with 4lb test jigging smelt.  We timed it, I think it was 11 minutes to land it.  I would have lost it on 2lb I think.  Also caught an 18" salmon in 20 fow- same deal-just barely landed it.  You can get them in on 2lb but it's a real test of patience!  Also- if you have shaky hands at all, rest your rod over a bucket or something-you often will not feel the smelt hit, but the tip of the rod will just bounce a tiny bit.  If the rod isn't a light or ultra light, you'll prob never feel them hit.  Depending on the body of water and how slow the other fishing is, I have caught dozens in just a couple hours.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2017, 03:48 PM »
many times i get big fish jigging for smelts. sometimes no flags but get 4-5 big fish just jigging! ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.