Author Topic: Marcum Transducer Film???  (Read 1741 times)

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum Transducer Film???
« on: Oct 17, 2017, 09:34 AM »
I purchased a new Marcum LX-5i and noticed when I opened the box that the transducer had a film epoxy-like coating at the bottom of it.  It was not smooth and bubbled up in spots.  I assume this will affect the performance of the unit.  Have any of you experienced this or know what this is?  I have owned several flasher and never seen this issue.

Thoughts?
d1

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Marcum Transducer Film???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2017, 09:47 AM »
My Humminbird have always come with a peel off protective film. Is this what your seeing on you Marcum? If so, peel it off.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2017, 09:54 AM »
I purchased a new Marcum LX-5i and noticed when I opened the box that the transducer had a film epoxy-like coating at the bottom of it.  It was not smooth and bubbled up in spots.  I assume this will affect the performance of the unit.  Have any of you experienced this or know what this is?  I have owned several flasher and never seen this issue.

Thoughts?
d1

I think there was a topic/thread sometime back on defective Marcum transducers with a similar described defect ...think they switched manufacturers .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:19 AM »
My Humminbird have always come with a peel off protective film. Is this what your seeing on you Marcum? If so, peel it off.

Thanks, but I do have some cognizance. This is not the plastic protective film that comes on the humminbird transducer (I own 2 of them). 

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:20 AM »
I think there was a topic/thread sometime back on defective Marcum transducers with a similar described defect ...think they switched manufacturers .

Thanks.  I sent Marcum an email as well.  Standing by for their response.

d1

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:56 AM »
marcum makes their own transducers. the film as you call it is a poured epoxy and shouldn't have any affect on performance. you can always talk to them about it and they will ship you a free replacement if need be,

Contact Us

Contact MarCum Customer Support:

Business Hours:
    Monday – Friday, 8am – 4pm Central Standard Time. Holidays may cause these hours to be adjusted.
    MarCum Technologies
    3943 Quebec Ave North
    New Hope, MN 55427

Email: [email protected]
    Toll-free calls: 1-888-778-1208
    Local calls: 763-512-3987

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2017, 01:47 PM »
marcum makes their own transducers. the film as you call it is a poured epoxy and shouldn't have any affect on performance. you can always talk to them about it and they will ship you a free replacement if need be,

Contact Us

Contact MarCum Customer Support:

Business Hours:
    Monday – Friday, 8am – 4pm Central Standard Time. Holidays may cause these hours to be adjusted.
    MarCum Technologies
    3943 Quebec Ave North
    New Hope, MN 55427

Email: [email protected]
    Toll-free calls: 1-888-778-1208
    Local calls: 763-512-3987

Marcum Customer Service was very helpful.  I sent them pictures (I would post them, but I can't figure out how to do it with the different format of IceShanty) of the transducer and they are sending me a new one.  They said the damaged epoxy on the bottom of the transducer shouldn't affect performance, however, they are sending a new one for good measure.

d1

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2017, 02:24 PM »
Nice to read about "good" customer service. Great that they took care of your problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.