Author Topic: Marcum LX6 vs Lowrance Elite 5?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum LX6 vs Lowrance Elite 5?
« on: Sep 22, 2017, 08:45 AM »
I’ve been eyeing the Marcum LX6 for a couple of years now, but I still have not been able to pull the trigger. On the Elite 5, I use the graph only, and concentrate on the amplitude meter. So, on the LX6 I would be interested in the vertical display and the graph. My question is how much of an improvement would the LX6 be over the Elite 5? I’m pretty sure that the Marcum has a superior ice transducer, and the ability to change the cone angle is a big plus. However, I’m typically fishing in water only 5-15 feet deep with a ton of weeds.

Would love to hear the observations of someone that has used both units.

Thanks!
Mark

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Marcum LX6 vs Lowrance Elite 5?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2017, 10:06 AM »
hey mark,

i have not used both, but have used a few others. the thing about your water your fishing is more important. fishing weeds with a wide angle transducer means more clutter or too much information from the weeds that is represented in a tiny space. so the idea would be to use the narrow beam so it shows less weeds in that same space. when your looking for those pockets that allow you to see deeper in the weeds, this is even more important.

i use the marcum lx9 and fish mainly 4 to 12 feet of water to bottom on one lake and has a max depth of 45 feet.  and 15 to 27 feet on another. 27 feet is the deepest the later lake goes. i notice as it turns dark the fish move slowly back out to slightly deeper water. they are suspended fish some days and then they are foraging fish other days. i'd rather fish the edge of weed beds than trying to look thru them tho.

marcum digital units don't show the first 2.5 feet under the transducer. this is fine by me because my ice-55 would show tons of clutter instead in that same space. i would rather not have to watch that anyways. if a crappie is scouting and swims by you won't see it on sonar, but if it did see it it's gone anyway before you could react.
lowrance is more on the bottom of what most users use here.
here's a link to that fact.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331371.0

another thing to consider is how well the sonar engine works. also, how to use it in the ice hole. marcum has you hold just the bottom of the transducer in it just so it gets wet. the air ruins how it functions. some thing else to consider is marcums new shuttle that is lithium and offers many advantages like being to night fish with it and have ram mounts on either side if you want them and usb power ports and 12 volt power port and a battery indicator and up to 40 hour run time. if you buy it in the package (with sonar attached) you'll save 100$ off of the 250$ price tag.

also, the marcum is designed for ice fishing firstly and can be fitted for open water, but is best used for ice while the lowrance it just the opposite. so things like the IR will be key here.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2017, 10:40 AM »
I have an elite 4 chirp and LX7. The reason I use the flasher in weeds is as you mention cone angle. in 15' of water a 20 degree cone will show a 5' diameter with an 8 degree cone you will only see a 2' diameter. This will remove over half the weed clutter on your screen so you wont see a big green streak on your sonar.

The second reason is target separation. An elite 5 has approximately 2" target separation where a LX6 has 1/2" separation. When fishing the weeds 2" separation makes weeds look huge, when in fact the may only be 3/4" thick coontail. With better target separation you can remove the clutter and have a better visual of your jig.
these are my two reasons for owning both.

On the plus side of owning both I use the maps I created on my elite by hooking it up to my truck. I can drive to my spots and sit right on the break line or near a hump. I use a ram mount with the suction cup to mount it to the windshield.

Offline IceFishinTy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2017, 10:51 AM »
I have been using the LX6 for a couple seasons now, I have not regretted the purchase. I like looking at the graph on one side and the vertical display on the other, it has been a great combination for me. I also like the smaller footprint of the LX6. I have not ever used the other you have considered, but best of luck as you decide.

Offline Iceballs204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:59 AM »
I agree with what whytie said : target separation 

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2017, 08:23 AM »
The added benefit of the Elite-5 is that it's multi-dimensional.   use mine on a pontoon boat in the summer months, then on my ATV for GPS mapping my ice fishing spots, then take the screen off the ATV and snap it into a Lowrance Icepack and use it in the fish house.  You can find spare cradle mounts and power cords online...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.