Author Topic: Building new sled - seeking input  (Read 3446 times)

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Building new sled - seeking input
« on: Oct 14, 2017, 11:51 AM »

Got my ice shack built last year and fine tuned this fall so I decided to build an "early and late ice" sled for when I can't get the wheeled shack or Ranger on the ice. 

Basic dimensions are 24" wide x 60" long.  Lower front area will be a seat with a slightly angle back rest.  It will be going on XC skis "Smitty" style.

I have a few questions...

1. To me it seems like would be easier to push this like a shopping cart instead of pulling it.  Provided my push handle on the back is far enough back to allow my feet to clear the back of the sled while walking, I think pushing should work pretty well.  I have an '84 Big Red ATC that I may use to pull it for "in between" ice conditions.  Any issues with pushing instead of pulling?

2. Sides front and back will be 1/4" Luan to keep the weight down.  Short of buying small thin aluminum angle (pricey), does anyone have any suggestions about how best to protect the edges / corners of the Luan?  It's not real durable but it's what I have in the garage.

3. Related to my "pushing" question... I was thinking about leaving the XC skis hang behind the sled a bit but would only do so if it would be (in low snow conditions) possible to put a foot on the ski and push with the other (dog sled musher style).  Anyone tried this?

4. The main top will have some brackets to hold my gas auger.  Was thinking about hinging it forward so it acted like a wind break while I was sitting on the front.  My concerns are that it will become a "sail" if I'm not sitting on the sled (any suggestions about how to anchor a sled like this?).  Also, I'm a big dude so I don't know if a 24" wide wind break without "wings" or any type of a top will do much good.  I was thinking about putting Luan "wings" on for sides but not sure I want to get that complex.

5. Anyone have any suggestion for paint type?  Gloss or more flat?  Light color or dark?

6. Would like to put old lawn mower wheels on it for around the garage, bare parking lots, etc.  I see some smitty sleds use these with a quick pin to remove them.  What do folks use for axles.  I guess I'm picturing something going through the 2x6 chunks that attach the sled to the skis... 4" long "axle" with a cross pin to prevent it from coming out of the 2x6.

7. As far as "accessories", I was thinking about a swing arm off the side to put the Vex on up off the ice.  I see Genz and others attach it to their sleds right between their legs but that looks like a good way to get "Millenial neck" (i.e. always staring down at their phone).  An external rod holder or two and a 5 or 6 spot "rod rack" underside of the top cover.  Drink holder perhaps.  Anything I'm missing?

8. Toying with the idea of welding up some 2" tube and make a rack for the sled to go in the receiver hitch of my truck or ranger... anyone done anything similar?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Chute82

Re: Building new sled - seeking input
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2017, 03:39 PM »
I live around the Amish and have never seen a horse pushing the buggy.  Plus early ice I rather be pulling the sled and seeing what’s in front of me when spudding then pushing a sled and finding out later. 

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2017, 04:10 PM »
If pushing a sled worked well, you'd see people doing it out on the ice!! If you have nothing better to do, you could rig up some temporary handles and try it.  ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2017, 05:55 PM »
I think the only time pushing would be better is maybe on glare ice with ice skates. This push vs pull gets asked more frequently than one would imagine. A stroller on wheels on hard surface sure, but add any amount of measurable snow and you'll be pulling instead of pushing. Longer ropes help for pulling. But yea try it out and please post a video of it.
It must be something in the water.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2017, 06:49 PM »
might have to go steal a shopping cart and put skis on it now. ;D

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2017, 08:03 PM »
The problem that I see with pushing when by yourself is that you may find it difficult to change directions. The skies will normally track in a straight line until you add a lateral force to make it change directions.
On the other hand if you have two people, one could be pulling from the front and the other could push from the back. I've done this and it helps to divide the load when traveling gets tough. I use my ice chisel as a push stick similar to how kids use broken hockey sticks to push a soapbox car.

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Seems like pushin has no fans :)... I'll set it up for pullin and l simply try pushing on the back of it when I have it on the ice to see if the push method has any merit.

Decided to go with a medium blue to my match my Ice Armor.  Most of the wood cutting done.  Still ciphering on best way to mount my Strike Master Lazer Mag auger.  Other than that pretty much down to fitting hinges, sanding, priming and painting.  I'll post some pics when I get it down.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2017, 07:54 AM »
mod a smitty sled to the bottom, you won't believe how easy it will pull.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2017, 09:41 AM »
I agree on the Smitty Sled bottom. AND the long rope. Consider a deer harness, too, for hands free pulling and weight distribution.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:05 AM »
I live around the Amish and have never seen a horse pushing the buggy.  Plus early ice I rather be pulling the sled and seeing what’s in front of me when spudding then pushing a sled and finding out later.

My thoughts exactly.

In regards to the edge protection... I use 2 part epoxy.  Mix up a batch and keep brushing it on the end grain.  After it cures up, it will be very strong.  As far as paint... dark and high gloss.  Early - late season means cleaning up water.  Much easier on a gloss surface.  I skipped the paint on my canoe tripping wannigan (wood box to hold gear) and just skim coated the whole thing with the left over epoxy from sealing the edge grain. That box is made from 1/4" plywood as well.

M2C

Jason

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2017, 05:08 AM »
I built a smitty sled years ago and it is great. But one thing I would like to change is to use two sets of skis. The rear skis would stay straight and then have shorter skis up front the can steer. Noone has actually done this yet. But I've searched for snow sleds that steer and they are out there. There is a snow sled called the xs-17 that is close to what I am trying to do. The problem is trying to keep it light weight and portable. And can I disassemble it to fit it into a car? I think being able to steer would help with maneuverability in deep snow. Just my thought.
jbird68

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:29 AM »
Do a google search for "horse drawn logging sleds" you will find many ideas for sleds with 4 ski's.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:44 AM »
Space Rocket XS-17 Sled

jbird68

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2017, 11:58 AM »
I looked for that x17 you noted in your other post and found nothing, xs-17 is interesting.

Offline Tim B

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I put water skis under my sled. they are wider than snow skis so they will hold it on top of the snow better

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2018, 11:15 AM »
The cheapest and best way to protect the corners of the Luan is to get the plastic corner beads/protectors they sell to protect the wallpaper on corners, you can get them in 1 1/8" wide ($7.84 for 8")or 5/8" ($2.98 for  8')  wide at the Homedepot.  Personally I'd go with the 1 1/8" ones because they give more protection. 

Here's a link to them: 

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Search/N-5yc1vZbc0p/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-corner+protector?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

As for the skis most people use down hill skis because they work better. 

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:59 AM »
A nice thing to do is to put a mount on the back for a T-bar handle to push it.  Then if you have an extra person, they can help from the back while you pull from the front.  That saved me a lot of effort last year when fishing with the kids.  They want to bring everything including the kitchen sink.

Offline silverado23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2018, 04:55 PM »
A nice thing to do is to put a mount on the back for a T-bar handle to push it.  Then if you have an extra person, they can help from the back while you pull from the front.  That saved me a lot of effort last year when fishing with the kids.  They want to bring everything including the kitchen sink.

If you put foot rests on the back with the T-Bar Handle.  You can hook all the kids up to the sled with harnesses, and have them pull you along with the sled....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.