Author Topic: My latest (and hopefully my last) attempt at the perfect heating fuel solution  (Read 6587 times)

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Going way back, I have used Kerosun heaters, then purchased 1 lb. propane tanks with lanterns & Mr. Heaters, then bulk propane tanks and hoses with Mr. Heaters.  Each of these fuel/heating systems has distinct disadvantages; either smelly, dirty and heavy, or expensive and wasteful (disposable propane tanks) or heavy and cumbersome with bulk tanks and hoses.  This solution won't be for everyone given the upfront cost, but I think over time for convenience, cost and ease of use, it will easily pay for itself.  I have 6 of the refillable bottles and 2 Portable Buddy heaters (one for each shack I own).  At today's propane prices, I can refill a 1 lb. tank for 78 cents which will last about 6 hours at the 4000 BTU or low setting on the Portable Mr. Buddies.  Because of the price I got it for, if I ever want to sell the forklift tank, I should be able to get at least what I paid for it.
Sorry about the pic's background.  The tank is sitting in my office at work. :whistle:

Costs:
1 33.5 Lb. Aluminum forklift tank - $145
1 Forklift Tank Refill Adapter from Flame King - $31.50
6 Refillable Tanks from Flame King - $9.97 - $13.00 each

Total Cost was about $250.00, so it will take me awhile to recoup my investment, but I was so tired of the weight and refilling of bulk tanks and the hoses.  I'm not getting any younger and anything I can do to cut the weight of my dragging load and increase convenience is worth a premium to me.

DN

DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
just curious why the fork truck propane truck? are there any advantages to that tank over a regular bbq grill tank besides the gauge to tell how full the tank is? You now have me thinking about buying a Flame king refill kit. Are there any filters you can buy to prevent ruining my mr buddy heater with dirty propane? Am i just as likely to get dirty propane using the 1# disposable propane tanks that I have been using?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
just curious why the fork truck propane truck? are there any advantages to that tank over a regular bbq grill tank besides the gauge to tell how full the tank is?

There are multiple advantages for a forklift tank for me.
1.)  I have a propane company that services my business' propane tanks.  They will refill my personal tank whenever needed.  It's very convenient for me as I don't have to lift it or carry it anywhere.
2.)  A 33.5 lb. forklift tank is liquid draw vs. vapor draw for 20 lb. (and smaller) tanks so there is no need to turn the propane tank upside down to fill the 1 lb. tanks.   
3.) The aluminum tank has an almost infinite useful life since it won't rust and resale value is very good.
4.) The amount of fuel in a 33 lb. tank will last me a long, long time and will be very easy to access and use.
5.) I have a chronic hip condition that makes it painful to lift and carry heavy things.  Lifting and flipping a full 20 lb. tank every time I needed a refill was not in the cards.

Are there any filters you can buy to prevent ruining my Mr. buddy heater with dirty propane? Am i just as likely to get dirty propane using the 1# disposable propane tanks that I have been using?

The only reason/time filters are needed is when you're connecting the heater to a tank with a hose that contains petroleum based plasticizers for hose flexibility in cold conditions.  Over time the oils leach into the line itself and clog the orifices in the heater.  A filter is not needed for any other direct connect use.  Propane is not dirty.  The "dirt" comes from the old style hoses.  Mr. Heater markets hoses today that are plasticizer free and require no filters.  See Mr. Heater Hose #273704.  I will be selling two of these in the for sale section shortly.

You now have me thinking about buying a Flame king refill kit.

I will be selling the "Kit" that I owned before I got the forklift tank and adapter.  It will have the tank stand and 20 lb. tank refill adapter.  The refillable tanks are a little scarce since Flame King announced the recall.   http://www.flameking.com/recall  My tanks are not part of the recall.  I have inspected all of mine and they were manufactured after the affected tanks.  The tanks should be more readily available after Flame King has worked through the refund/replace process with affected owners.  Let me know if you're interested by PM.  I will list in the for sale section if you're not.  The 20 lb. tank adapter is on the left, the forklift tank adapter is on the right.

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Do you have to have your supply tank certified and if so how many years is it good for? Using your system, how full are you able to get your canisters? Do you need to freeze them to assist in getting to fill them?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Do you have to have your supply tank certified and if so how many years is it good for?
Yes, the original manufacture certification is good for 10 years on the forklift tank and 12 years on the refillables.

Using your system, how full are you able to get your canisters?
Completely full to 1 lb.  The Flame King refillable tanks have a bleeder allen screw on the neck valve of the tank that you crack open slightly when filling to release air pressure and when liquid propane starts to spritz out, you're full.  You close the bleeder valve screw, release the fill lever and close the outflow valve on your supply tank.  When you unscrew the tank from the adapter, there will be a small blast of propane gas that was in the refill adapter tube.  You want to be wearing gloves when it happens.  It's a little nippy.

Do you need to freeze them to assist in getting to fill them?
Nope.  Because of the bleeder valve screw and true liquid draw, there is no resistance (air pressure) for the liquid propane leaving the supply tank and entering the refill tank.  Both tanks can be hot or both cold.  Makes no difference.

DN

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks for the info

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Deal Ninja I figured you had good reason.

Do you need to freeze them to assist in getting to fill them?
Nope.  Because of the bleeder valve screw and true liquid draw, there is no resistance (air pressure) for the propane leaving the supply tank and entering the refill tank.  Both tanks can be hot or both cold.  Makes no difference.

will I have to freeze my tanks since i wont be filling with a true liquid draw out of my 20# tank?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
will I have to freeze my tanks since i wont be filling with a true liquid draw out of my 20# tank?

No.  The tanks will fill just fine for the most part.  They might not get quite as full when your supply tank is getting low or if it's very cold.  I never had a problem though.

DN

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Sending me another tank after first of year, had one on recall list !

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Awesome!  Luckily for me, mine were all manufactured after the recall.  I’m guessing they used the wrong type of Loctite on the threads.  :P  I spoke to them a month or so ago via email.  They expect to have new tanks in stock by January.  They had to refund/replace ~ 25,000 cylinders.  Ouch.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I'm going to get a few of those tanks too.my 1lbers are getting pretty  old and have been refilled a lot.some valves leak and getting a little rusty.be nice to have 4 good tanks and get rid of all the other ones I have laying around.ive got 3 milk crates full of them.all full and ready to get used tho.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Doc, I can’t tell you how happy I am to hear that!  In the meantime, please tell me that those three milk crates full of old full Coleman cylinders are OUTSIDE of your house somewhere.  :-\

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Doc, I can’t tell you how happy I am to hear that!  In the meantime, please tell me that those three milk crates full of old full Coleman cylinders are OUTSIDE of your house somewhere.  :-\
no man they are under my bed.just ribbing ya...they are in the tarp building outside.not  even in the garage.i refill them but I don't trust those cans as they are getting real old.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
hahaha  That's cool.  A little of subject, but I personally know a guy who lives on a lake in Maine who's grenade lobbed not one, but TWO MAP gas torches into the lake when they started to leak while he was using them to light charcoal.  And they were never refilled even once.  Blowing myself to Kingdom Come and/or burning my house down is not worth the risk or the savings of refilling the one pounders for ME.  Everyone has a level of risk they're comfortable with.  My risk tolerance is low.  This is also why I don't mountain climb, parachute or swim with sharks. LOL

I'm glad you're going to look into the refillable cylinders. ;)

DN ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
yeah im not much for risk taking either.but i still fish in thunderstorms,refill throw away prop tanks,melt enough lead wheel weights in a year to fill 4 milk crates.thats about 500 pounds or more of lead ingots .im destined to end up in the dirt sooner or later i guess.lol.but i will  be buying 4 refillable tanks soon.let me know when or if you run across a good deal on them Deal Ninja.im just sick of these throw aways valves leaking..

Offline Sandalsnsocks

• IceShanty Rookie
Interesting thread, thanks for posting! Can I just buy the 1 pound refillable tanks and have my local propane place refill them?
Easy does it.
Let them go so they can grow.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Interesting thread, thanks for posting! Can I just buy the 1 pound refillable tanks and have my local propane place refill them?

Probably charge you about 4 bucks to do it.

<{{{{{ °>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

No SnS.  They are identical to the store bought Coleman tanks except stouter and more durable.  They have to be refilled from a larger propane tank with the special adapters shown earlier up the thread.

DN

Offline Sandalsnsocks

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks DN I guess for now it’s a hose and tank, that is a sweet set up you have! Something to look forward to
Easy does it.
Let them go so they can grow.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
so where was the best place to buy just the small tanks for all of use who want to use our current refill method?

do you have the part number so we can look it up?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>

I'm wondering after the recall if they went out of business ?  I've been trying to get the kit for months. I've been told a "due in date" several times from several places and it keeps getting changed. This last time, Friday, I was told a date in mid February so I placed an order from REI and the next day (Saturday) my order was cancelled and it now says NO LONGER AVAILABLE on REI's website.
I just ordered some parts and I'm making my own refill apparatus.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
I got my Flame King kit in Denver a couple of weeks ago.  Such a great idea.  The kit is simple and easy.  You will save time and money. I only have about a dozen refills on 3 bottles but I highly recommend it.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm wondering after the recall if they went out of business ?  I've been trying to get the kit for months. I've been told a "due in date" several times from several places and it keeps getting changed. This last time, Friday, I was told a date in mid February so I placed an order from REI and the next day (Saturday) my order was cancelled and it now says NO LONGER AVAILABLE on REI's website.

I've been in touch with  Flame King's VP of US sales as recently as January 18th.  He is expecting to have new 1 lb. tanks in stock sometime in mid March and said that he would be in touch once the tanks were available.  I will keep everyone posted.  I also mentioned to him the group-buy success of the Dakota batteries and asked if he would consider such a direct buy option (they don't normally sell retail at all).  Keeping my fingers crossed that they might make an exception.  I will advise as soon as I have any news.

DN

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
.     They sent me a e Mail saying that the tank I had was recalled, after disposing of it they are gonna send me a new tank. Supposedly first week in February , not seen it yet

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
So I am missing something here? The refillable 1 lb propane tanks that were suppose to be safe were recalled, and people are waiting for the problem to be fixed so that they can buy them. And the Coleman disposable tanks that I haven't had any problems with are a subject of concern. Not to take away from Deal Ninja refill system it looks pretty sweet, but a lot more expensive.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think my kit was only 40 bucks and you get one bottle with the kit.  $15 for each extra bottle.  For that price I thought it was worth the money.  The kit is close to paying for itself this year already. 

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>

The parts I ordered finally arrived. I'll be out of town today so I'll try to get it together by the end of the week and test it .. I have 5 empty tanks.
If everything works out well I'll place a DIY post in the Equipment section.
Those who are brave are free ..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.