Author Topic: Helix 5 Owners  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Hawkeye97

• IceShanty Rookie
Helix 5 Owners
« on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:15 AM »
I think I have narrowed my search down to the Helix 5 for my first sonar unit. I like the fact that I can put it on my fishing boat when the ice leaves. However before I make a purchase I would like to hear from people who have it already.

1) Does the unit preform good all the time? I usually fish smaller lakes in Iowa and have heard horror stories of problems with sonar when around other units, does the helix 5 have that?

2)I've been looking and seen its around 500 for the ice unit, but how much would I have invested by the time I use it on my boat and in my shack.

3)Lastly any advice on what to do and not to do with this unit on and off the ice whether it be storing, transporting, and actual using of the unit.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Helix 5 Owners
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2017, 01:14 PM »
I have the 5 that I use in my kayak and for ice fishing.

If you are considering SI or DI then I would get for the 7". I have it on the 5" but screen is a little small to fully utilize it. But its been great for scouting structure and finding areas to fish.

It has as bit of a learning curve and it takes some time to get it dialed in. After I got it set up its been a great uni. I used the open water transducer for the first part of last winter but ended up buying the ice ducer as it was easier manage in the hole and use while run and gunning on the ice.

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2017, 02:38 PM »
I have a a gen1 Helix that I mounted on a genz box for ice use last year. It works great when I'm fishing alone, but the interference rejection is not up to the task of fishing next to others with flashers. I've heard the newer gen2 units have improved interference rejection, but I haven't seen it in action yet.

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2017, 03:34 PM »
I think I have narrowed my search down to the Helix 5 for my first sonar unit. I like the fact that I can put it on my fishing boat when the ice leaves. However before I make a purchase I would like to hear from people who have it already.

1) Does the unit preform good all the time? I usually fish smaller lakes in Iowa and have heard horror stories of problems with sonar when around other units, does the helix 5 have that?

2)I've been looking and seen its around 500 for the ice unit, but how much would I have invested by the time I use it on my boat and in my shack.

3)Lastly any advice on what to do and not to do with this unit on and off the ice whether it be storing, transporting, and actual using of the unit.

Thanks for the advice!

Looks like you could get the Helix 5 boat version for $300 on amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-410210-1-HELIX-CHIRP-finder/dp/B01M2VLBQF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507149079&sr=8-2&keywords=Helix+5

and I have this for sale on craigslist

https://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-410210-1-HELIX-CHIRP-finder/dp/B01M2VLBQF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507149079&sr=8-2&keywords=Helix+5

You would be set for your boat and ice.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2017, 03:26 PM »
I used a helix 5 (generation 1) last year with the standard 83/200 boat transducer and I loved it. I only fished around other units once but had no issues with interference.

This year I got a new boat and two new Helix Gen2 units, a 5 and a 7. I just bought the new CHIRP ice transducer and am excited to try it out and see the advantages of the 3 channel CHIRP sonar.

One thing to remember is if you buy a standard (not ice) Gen 2 unit you will need a software update from humminbird for the new CHIRP ice transducer. The update is free, but it requires downloading. The CHIRP ice transducer is NOT compatible with the gen 1 helix models, they require the standard ice transducer.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2017, 06:12 PM »
I've been running the Helix 5 G2 on my kayaks and as an iceducer. I didn't do any software but it works fine. I like being able to use the GPS to mark waypoints and if I really want I could use a standard transducer rather than the ice transducer to get Down Imaging but I don't think it necessary. I liked the 5 because it fits nicely in the Humminbird case and shuttle.

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:34 PM »
What are some common settings that you all use with your Helix 5 on the ice. I bought the Ice ducer late last year and used it once fishing for Macs in 160-200ft of water and it worked great. I am mostly fishing small lakes with not really any worry of other electronics around. Just curious on some key/preferred settings that have worked well for you guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.