Author Topic: jigging rap blanks  (Read 9721 times)

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
jigging rap blanks
« on: Sep 20, 2017, 07:59 AM »
"LureCraft" has jigging rap blanks for $1.20 ea. They come with the eyes and tails that you need to glue on yourself, you also need to install hooks and paint them.
I don't know how well these particular ones work, but for someone who likes to custom paint them and uses them a lot it may pay to take a look at them.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: jigging rap blanks
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2017, 10:28 AM »
If you priced out the hooks and the paint needed for these, would they be worth the money compared to buying them from Rapala? Would good ole gorilla glue work for the eyes and fins?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2017, 11:38 AM »
If you priced out the hooks and the paint needed for these, would they be worth the money compared to buying them from Rapala? Would good ole gorilla glue work for the eyes and fins?

If you're looking @ these you probably already paint something and anyone that doesn't have at least a dozen extra hooks laying around in a few sizes is not well prepared.

To your question Slide: I have used Gorilla Glue and know that it is moisture activated/cured. Always wondered about the water resistance/proof qualities considering that and, in fairness, have not tested it. So, no help on that from me.

My preference for gluing the tail would be regular (not fast setting) epoxy. Fast set is fine for a number of things but the regular (60 min cure) is the most waterproof iteration of epoxies. The eyes should already be self adhesive with waterproof stuff. When applying anything self adhesive I usually apply a light coat of Pliobond on the surface of the target (not on the tape, eye, whatever) and let it pretty much dry. It doesn't take long if you keep it light and Pliobond sticks better to anything that the self adhesive stuff by itself. Don't rush it and apply the "sticker" while any of the Pliobond is still wet. The solvent will liquefy whatever adhesive is on the sticker and perhaps even melt part of the sticker itself. When it is dry to the touch but still somewhat soft is the right time.

Here's a quick, crazy option to painting: Pro Skinz - Jig Skinz Yep, it's another coupla bucks but no way can I paint like that.

I wish they made one size smaller, 3/16 (jig body looks to be 1.25") is still large for all but the most giant perch. Maybe I'll bite on a few anyway, I like to play.

If you buy the "kit" and the Skinz you're $3.20 into a jigging lure plus your time. If you paint it gets really cheap. I don't think I ever bought a JR for under $4 and more like $5 - 6.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2017, 02:56 PM »
I used Gorilla glue on the felt soles of my wading shoes several years ago and they are still firmly attached !!! That stuff works!!!  @) It might be a little messy for lure making though because it expands somewhat!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Looking to possibly start painting some jigs, can anyone recommend a good airbrush kit? Thank you!

Offline mexico

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:46 PM »
2-5 min epoxy for the tail. 2 ton 30 min epoxy for the lure after painting. Iwata neo is a good airbrush, createx wicked paint.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Airbrush will not make you a Grand Master but it is a tool toward that. Final finish check out propionate. SOP in Finland (land of jigging lures). Not hard to make or use. Do a search on this site and you'll see.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2017, 10:23 AM »
Great post guys! I've been looking for something like this for a couple years. Going to be busy now.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:28 AM »
anyone else have a source for blanks ? ive looked for a long time . My Raps that i buy retail are breaking the tails off sometimes on the first fish and at 5-7 per lure not good ..
Lurecraft says they can get and ive been on the waiting list for 3 months and now the price has jumped up .60 cts . still willing to pay that if i could get em.    wow !!!
not looking to resell i just want to make a better quality bait then rap does.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:08 AM »
Lurecraft finally got blanks in.   However they went up to 1.80 ea

Offline djzamo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:53 AM »
Are the original jigging raps a lead body?  I seem the remember seeing something on here saying differently.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:24 PM »
I’ve been looking a source of rap blanks for some time. Finally got 60 this week. 20 of each size. Kit come with the lure, tail/fin and eyes. I went with the jig skins as I’m not good with paint. But I’m going to learn. So here are my fist run. They look very good in sun light.

In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.